2001 LS engine swap

a_kraker99

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I am looking into buying a 2001 LS8 in need of a new engine. Can someone tell me if I can swap it for a Gen2 v8? From what I know so far they have more horsepower right? Besides that, I cant find a 2001 engine anywhere for a decent price.

Covered many times. Simply, no. Need to stick with Gen I (2000-2002). Wide variety of problems, notably completely different electrical protocol (CAN vs OBD), completely different PCM, different harnesses, different engine layout, different accessory configuration, etc.
Easier to swap in an LS1 than a Gen II motor. Zing!

Cross Breeding

Don't pay TOO much attention to the nay-sayers. The metallic parts of both engines are virtually the same. Mechanically, it's necessary to lock the VVT mechanism and block the oil feeds for same in the heads. If you then swap such things as the intake manifold to the earlier style and use the earlier electric/electronic pieces that'll bolt on, you'll be good to go. (I'm using this approach to install a Jag-sourced engine. Final tuning will be by SCT. You can find out more by checking 'Land Speed LS' in the HP section)

KS

Mechanically, it's necessary to lock the VVT mechanism and block the oil feeds for same in the heads.
KS

Which is how they added the horsepower/torque. Without the VVT you will have the 252 gen 1 HP.

worse - the Gen1 cams optimized the performance as best they could - the VVT cam try to continously optimize the performace based on the RPM and engine load - so by locking them in a static profile - you basically end up with the performance for only that one spot.

Remember the the Gen2 engine is in a car with different electronics than the Gen1 - so who knows how you can mate the Gen2 to a non-Gen2 car - CAN was only Gen2. The Gen2 also used the 5R55S not the 5R55N that the Gen1 does... so again you may have to look into tranie swap or fitment issues (both physical and electronic).

No one has done it - so people suggesting it's easy or difficult or only guessing... but on the surface it seems to be more complicated than you may initial think.

Clarification

The OP said that he was looking to replace a failed engine and that he was finding it difficult to discover a low-mile gen 1 engine. So he was considering using a later design powerplant

If the goal is primarily to get more power, it's easy to 'hot-rod' a Gen 1 engine to get the power that's available from the later assembly. If the goal is to have a properly-running vehicle, and you have a later model engine that's complete, as well as the original engine with a spun bearing, or what have you, my contention is that you have everything you need to have a car in running shape.

No 'old-wives-tales' regarding what you can do and what you can't hold water if you have the ability to take the various components and actually make comparisons.

If it's a challenge to replace your spark plugs, you probably shouldn't attempt this sort of cross-breeding. I've given serious study to the sort of job that's under discussion here, and have no trepidation regarding my ability to install the AJ27 engine now in pieces in my garage and use it to go forward with my ECTA project.

I'd be happy to consult regarding any part of this subject.

KS

Ken - no one doubts that one day you'll have your engine swap in - just trying to set realistic expectations for th OP.

It's gonna be all in the details - the Gen2 uses throttle-by-wire - the Gen1 PCM has no concept of that - will the Gen1 throttlebody bolt onto the Gen2 intake? will the throttle cable even reach? The Gen1 uses a IAC valve - the Gen2 does not.

There are many little differences that will require cutting, splicing, fabracating adapters, ...etc - doable - but certainly more work than you would think.

Ken - no one doubts that one day you'll have your engine swap in - just trying to set realistic expectations for th OP.

It's gonna be all in the details - the Gen2 uses throttle-by-wire - the Gen1 PCM has no concept of that - will the Gen1 throttlebody bolt onto the Gen2 intake? will the throttle cable even reach? The Gen1 uses a IAC valve - the Gen2 does not.

Installation of the Gen1 intake manifold and all its ancillaries will solve this problem

There are many little differences that will require cutting, splicing, fabracating adapters, ...etc - doable - but certainly more work than you would think.

Not an afternoon's work, surely. But by using the Gen 1 specific details, attached to the Gen 2 hard parts, certainly do-able. The AJ27 engine uses an intake manifold laid out much like the Gen2, but with the throttle body, etc.,back against the firewall. I'm simply going to turn it around so the hole is in the front and use aftermarket parts as necessary to connect with the 'cold side' ductwork. (I started out long years ago working on the family car---a '53 Merc with the last of the flatheads.)

As I said above, not a job for just anybody. I mentioned spark plugs but let me put this more succinctly---If setting the two engines side-by-side and replacing all the Gen2-specific parts with the ones necessary to mate with the Gen1 car is beyond your abilities---DON'T DO IT!!! But such swapping is relatively routine and if you have basic fabricating abilities and resources, go for it!

I followed your work to fit your supercharger with open-mouthed admiration. What I'm proposing is nowhere near the difficulty of what you did.

KS

Members online

No members online now.
Back