2003 ECT after 8 COP and plugs

capt.morgan

LVC Member
Reaction score
I was having ETC on start up so I took it to the dealer and was able to get all COP replaced under warranty. However Day after I got ETC on start up again, but was able to get car to start up fine with a couple of trys. Now every time on start up it goes into ETC fail safe. It threw the typical throttle body code so I switched the COP's around with no change. What part of the throttle body is to blame? I can buy the TPS, will this cure it?

Some 03 and early 04 throttle bodies did have problems. They always replaced the whole throttle body to fix it, I don't know if only changing the TPS would fix yours. It should if the TPS is bad, but it won't if the servo motor that moves the throttle plate is really the problem.

The throttle would function once car would start, no drivability issues. This POS has me stumped.

The throttle would function once car would start, no drivability issues. This POS has me stumped.

What happens is that the PCM detects a transient problem with the ETC. If you were getting a code for the pedal assembly, it would mean that one of the three pedal position sensors didn't agree with the other two for an instant. Since you are getting a throttle body code, it means that for some instant in time the throttle plates weren't in the correct position.

The reason this transient problem causes failsafe mode is to prevent any possibility of the car accelerating when the driver does not want it to. The engineer's thought was that when in doubt it is better to go to no power than to go to more power than the driver might want. (Remember the Toyota nonsense?)

I scanned it and got 2110 and 2107. I know the 2110 is from the 2107, but what part is the Throttle actuator control module processor? Is it the motor assembly on the TB or the TPS or both together? Also I don't wont to pay $795 CAN for a new TB will the 2004 f150 TB with out the coolant lines work? Thanx for any help!

I scanned it and got 2110 and 2107. I know the 2110 is from the 2107, but what part is the Throttle actuator control module processor? Is it the motor assembly on the TB or the TPS or both together? Also I don't wont to pay $795 CAN for a new TB will the 2004 f150 TB with out the coolant lines work? Thanx for any help!

Both together.
It's unlikely that the F150 TB would work.

Both together.
It's unlikely that the F150 TB would work.

I found the post on the F150 TB and it was a 2006 4.6L. A new TPS is $150 CAN and a used f150 TB is $150, So what im thinking is get the F150 TB try the TPS off it. If that dosnt work then put the whole F150 TB on. Make any sence? Has any tried opening up the motor to see if the contacts can be cleaned?

I found the post on the F150 TB and it was a 2006 4.6L. A new TPS is $150 CAN and a used f150 TB is $150, So what im thinking is get the F150 TB try the TPS off it. If that dosnt work then put the whole F150 TB on. Make any sence? Has any tried opening up the motor to see if the contacts can be cleaned?

If it does work, you will probably have to saw a little off of the throttle body to fit it in.

I don't know of anyone ever taking one apart and fixing it.

I was having the ETC problem also. I took the throttle body off cleaned it with top engine cleaner. Problem solved.

Found the issue solution kinda? If I heat up the PCM with a heat gun The car will start and run fine until the PCM cools off overnight. Anyone else ever have that issue/solution and if so what was the real solution?

Found the issue solution kinda? If I heat up the PCM with a heat gun The car will start and run fine until the PCM cools off overnight. Anyone else ever have that issue/solution and if so what was the real solution?

I haven't seen that before with the LS PCM. In general with electronics when warming it up makes it work it means there is a bad solder joint inside somewhere. I suspect then that the only reliable solution would be to replace the PCM.

Members online

No members online now.
Back