2003 Lincoln LS Radiator fan wiring

@dscg04lj Ive attached the wiring diagram i hope you can read it. If not i can take another closer picture and upload it. That looks like a nice project you got there. I just bought a 97 Aerostar with the 3.0 V-6 2wd for $100.00. I have tore it apart and i am in the process of a complete rebuild from bumper to bumper. Im gone make me and the wife something we can throw some suitcases in and take off and stay at the beach or mountains in. Something fun!!

IMG_20240819_200007.jpg

How! Just a $100??? You stoll it. I have not seen those in years..will be a nice fun project. Share the link to the build if you document it.

Thank you for the diagram, hard to read some of it, but what am after is clear on it.

With the replay in place in my setup, I am wondering if I still need the 15amp Fuse for that green/yellow wire, and if I do should I place the fuse before the relay, between battery and relay?

Thanks

20240817_200005.jpg

There is a gap between the fan and radiator due to sizing the shroud to make it fit. Will that affect it much with air lost?
I only have 18" to work with for fan.

Screenshot_20240820_065102_Firefox.jpg

How! Just a $100??? You stoll it. I have not seen those in years..will be a nice fun project. Share the link to the build if you document it.

Thank you for the diagram, hard to read some of it, but what am after is clear on it.

With the replay in place in my setup, I am wondering if I still need the 15amp Fuse for that green/yellow wire, and if I do should I place the fuse before the relay, between battery and relay?

Thanks

View attachment 828579141
I would use fuses where the diagram calls for fuses just to be safe. As far as the Aerostar i got lucky at $100. It has set for about 15 years so you can imagine what all ive had to replace. I started with the camshaft position synchronizer and went from there. I have even dropped the transmission pan and put new fluid and filter in. So fingers crossed it makes a good ride. As far as the fan goes as long as you got it against the radiator it will pull all the air you need. I have to tell you that Lincoln LS fan will not turn real fast unless the pcm is signaling it to speed up and it is going to be really loud when its wide open. Let me know how the Jeep build goes.

Last edited:
I would use fuses where the diagram calls for fuses just to be safe. As far as the Aerostar i got lucky at $100. It has set for about 15 years so you can imagine what all ive had to replace. I started with the camshaft position synchronizer and went from there. I have even dropped the transmission pan and put new fluid and filter in. So fingers crossed it makes a good ride. As far as the fan goes as long as you got it against the radiator it will pull all the air you need. I have to tell you that Lincoln LS fan will not turn real fast unless the pcm is signaling it to speed up and it is going to be really loud when its wide open. Let me know how the Jeep build goes.
I though it will run at full speed when that black/white wire is not connected?

I though it will run at full speed when that black/white wire is not connected?
It runs at high speed when that black/white wire is unhooked in my LS because thats how i run mine. I don't trust the fan barely turning all the time so i run my black/white wire unhooked and it runs wide open. Are your fan connections clean? Make sure theyre is no corrosion on the terminals where they hook together. Are you grounded good? Give me until later tonight to look through my workshop manual wiring diagram book and i will try to get back with you later. Sorry about the wait but i am hooking up a 12 channel home security system at the moment.

It runs at high speed when that black/white wire is unhooked in my LS because thats how i run mine. I don't trust the fan barely turning all the time so i run my black/white wire unhooked and it runs wide open. Are your fan connections clean? Make sure theyre is no corrosion on the terminals where they hook together. Are you grounded good? Give me until later tonight to look through my workshop manual wiring diagram book and i will try to get back with you later. Sorry about the wait but i am hooking up a 12 channel home security system at the moment.
The fan is up and running, without the small black/white wire, so I guess it's running at full speed.

What size is the power wire going to the 60amp fuse? On the fan connector, one side of the power wire looks like 6 gauge and the other side 10 gaude.

It runs at high speed when that black/white wire is unhooked in my LS because thats how i run mine.
And if you keep running it that way... you may not have a fan when you REALLY need it. ;)

Over 300k miles on my original fan... because I let the cooling system do it's job the way it was designed to work.

The fan is up and running, without the small black/white wire, so I guess it's running at full speed.

What size is the power wire going to the 60amp fuse? On the fan connector, one side of the power wire looks like 6 gauge and the other side 10 gaude.
Whatever size wire is on the side with the inline fuse id keep it that way. I haven't taken my fan out or apart. But the wiring diagram says the fan is a microprocessor meaning it can be turned up or down. By clipping the black/white wire tricks the ECU into giving the fan full power. That fan when running wide open is loud. Almost sounds like a jet turbine unded the hood of my car. Now with the hood off of that jeep it may not be as loud.

And if you keep running it that way... you may not have a fan when you REALLY need it. ;)

Over 300k miles on my original fan... because I let the cooling system do it's job the way it was designed to work.
I aint worried about it going out il just replace it if it tears up. As long as it keeps everything cool under the hood i am good with it. By running my fan wide open im not exposing all those hoses and plastic cooling system parts to extreme hot/ cold cycles that everyone talks about replacing all the time. I have never replaced anything but a thermostat and thermostat housing since i have owned my LS. Other than the DCCV, thermostat and thermostat housing It still has all original cooling system parts. Even the degas bottle is original. As far as gas mileage goes on average i have only lost 1mpg by doing so.

Whatever size wire is on the side with the inline fuse id keep it that way. I haven't taken my fan out or apart. But the wiring diagram says the fan is a microprocessor meaning it can be turned up or down. By clipping the black/white wire tricks the ECU into giving the fan full power. That fan when running wide open is loud. Almost sounds like a jet turbine unded the hood of my car. Now with the hood off of that jeep it may not be as loud.
Yea I got this inline fuse from summit, 6 gauge and it's huge!! I will just replace my current inline fuse with it which has a 8 or 10 gauge wire.
The fan doesn't sound too loud, again I have the hood off, and no exhaust yet.

Do we know how much cfm the fan is rated at?

Yea I got this inline fuse from summit, 6 gauge and it's huge!! I will just replace my current inline fuse with it which has a 8 or 10 gauge wire.
The fan doesn't sound too loud, again I have the hood off, and no exhaust yet.

Do we know how much cfm the fan is rated at?
I have no idea about the cfm on the LS fan so this is a pure guess, probly around 1200cfm at idle and at least 5500cfm and more wide when its running wide open. Man i am chasing a miss in my little Aerostar i was telling you about. I have changed everything but the motor LOL! I hope its not a burnt valve or leaking headgasket. And my buddys Jeep build hes got a engine and trans out of a 2008 Sileverado that his son in law just totaled that we are fixing to put in his 93 YJ. Good Luck on yours!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back