2003 LS V8 Climate Control Issues

TXLS

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm sorting through problems with my 2003 LS V8 climate control. Here are the issues:

1. Originally, the car made a hissing sound under the dash when the A/C was turned on. This became progressively worse as the cooling slowly went away. From reading other threads, it sounds like the system needs charged. I plan to evacuate and recharge the system, which will hopefully solve the hissing, and at least make the refrigerant system work again.

2. Before the A/C went completely away, I got cold temps from the LH vents, and warm air from the RH vents. After reading several posts on this, I purchased a brand new Motorcraft DCCV and replaced it. This didn't make any difference at all. Still warm air from the RH vents. After researching the procedure on other threads, I pulled the DATC codes and found the following:
One of these appears to indicate a bad DCCV, but since I replaced it properly, I don't believe that's it.

So, my questions are this:

- Do my assumptions sound right regarding the hissing noise; low charge? Should I proceed with that first before digging into the code issues?

- Is it possible that my new DCCV is bad, or is it more likely that it's a connection, wire, DATC?

I'm looking for the best order in which to attack these problems from those who have done this before. This is becoming a frustrating exercise, and it's HOT in Texas right now; I need to get that A/C back up and running! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

JD

Yes, the refrigerant is probably low (and you probably have a leak). However, I wouldn't try to do anything there until you resolve the DCCV problem.

It's possible that the new DCCV is bad (rare, but it happens). It's also possible that it isn't correctly plugged in, there's a pinched wire somewhere, or the DATC is defective. You'll need to get a multi-meter and do some troubleshooting.

http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6xc0003.htm~gen~ref.htm#PS2-H
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6xc0003.htm~gen~ref.htm#PS2-J

Yes, the refrigerant is probably low (and you probably have a leak). However, I wouldn't try to do anything there until you resolve the DCCV problem.

It's possible that the new DCCV is bad (rare, but it happens). It's also possible that it isn't correctly plugged in, there's a pinched wire somewhere, or the DATC is defective. You'll need to get a multi-meter and do some troubleshooting.

http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6xc0003.htm~gen~ref.htm#PS2-H
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6xc0003.htm~gen~ref.htm#PS2-J

Good stuff. I'll grab my multitester and start digging in this week. As far as the A/C system goes, it's never been serviced since I've had the car (8 years), so it's probably due for a re-charge, and/or o-ring replacement.

Thanks!

JD

Good stuff. I'll grab my multitester and start digging in this week. As far as the A/C system goes, it's never been serviced since I've had the car (8 years), so it's probably due for a re-charge, and/or o-ring replacement.

Thanks!

JD

Just ran the diagnostics and got the following codes:

1242...Air Inlet Door Actuator Circuit Failure
2796...couldn't find anything regarding this code...

Think my DATC is bad?

JD

You need to charge the system. If the refrigerant is low the evaporator does not evenly cool. This can cause a difference in the driver's/passenger side temperature even with a properly operating DCCV. That being said the DCCV code needs to be addressed as well......

Just ran the diagnostics and got the following codes:

1242...Air Inlet Door Actuator Circuit Failure
2796...couldn't find anything regarding this code...

Think my DATC is bad?

JD

No.
2796 = solar radiation sensor fault.
The 1242 code may not be an issue. You need to clear the codes and see if it comes back after a day or two. I've seen false codes triggered and stored for the air doors.

No.
2796 = solar radiation sensor fault.
The 1242 code may not be an issue. You need to clear the codes and see if it comes back after a day or two. I've seen false codes triggered and stored for the air doors.

Thanks for the info. In the link you provided for diagnostics, the solar sensor codes are listed as 1259 and 1261; didn't see anything listed for 2796. Not the first time I've found factory literature to be incorrect. I tried clearing the codes using the procedure listed, but they didn't go away. Perhaps I'm doing it incorrectly. I'll try again tonight, and also perform the pinpoint test on the solar radiation sensor.

Thanks!

JD

Where is the solar sensor located? I want to pull it out and run the diagnostic.

Thanks!

JD

Where is the solar sensor located? I want to pull it out and run the diagnostic.

Thanks!

JD

That "dome", center dash, up near the windshield.

The dual A/C sunload sensor:

is located on the top center of the instrument panel in the defroster grille.
contains photovoltaic diodes that are sensitive to sunlight.
generates small amounts of current across the terminals depending upon the amount of light reaching the photovoltaic diode; therefore the only test that can be carried out is for an internal short circuit, an open circuit or sensor value out-of-range.
contains an internal diagnostic resistor to allow the dual-zone EATC module to detect a difference between an open circuit and no sunlight.

Members online

Back