2003 LS V8 LH Power Seat Failure

TXLS

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to solve a power seat issue with my 2003 LS V8. The LH seat is completely inoperative, and the fuse blows the instant that I plug in a new one; even before I touch the switch to move the seat. I'm assuming that I probably have a bad motor (shorted to ground), and the process here is to pull the seat out and test each motor individually. Since this car has the feature where the seat moves back when the key is removed, I'm assuming that it's probably the fore-and-aft motor.

I also know that there are modules that control the seats, so if there are any concerns or typical failures with these please let me know also.

Thanks!

JD

It's probably not a shorted motor. Exactly which fuse is blowing?

If memory serves, I believe it's location #7 behind the RH kick panel. It's the circuit that also manages the power mirrors, because they're dead too.

Thanks,

JD

I'll look up what all that covers tonight.

If memory serves, I believe it's location #7 behind the RH kick panel. It's the circuit that also manages the power mirrors, because they're dead too.

Thanks,

JD

F2.07 is a 5A fuse. It doesn't power the seat motors. It's partial power for the DDM (driver's door module) and power for the DSM (driver's seat module). The driver's seat won't move without the DSM working. The mirrors won't work without the DDM working.

Power for the seat motors comes from fuse F4.21 (in the trunk), a 20A fuse.

F2.07 is a 5A fuse. It doesn't power the seat motors. It's partial power for the DDM (driver's door module) and power for the DSM (driver's seat module). The driver's seat won't move without the DSM working. The mirrors won't work without the DDM working.

Power for the seat motors comes from fuse F4.21 (in the trunk), a 20A fuse.

Good information. I was tied up with the fuel filter and DATC issues last night, but will check the seat fuse tonight. Since #7 is blowing, does that point to a bad module (either DDM or DSM), or another common problem I don't know about?

Thanks!

JD

Good information. I was tied up with the fuel filter and DATC issues last night, but will check the seat fuse tonight. Since #7 is blowing, does that point to a bad module (either DDM or DSM), or another common problem I don't know about?

Thanks!

JD

Bad module or pinched wire some where. I'd start by unplugging the DSM. If a new fuse doesn't blow, then it is the DSM. If it still blows, take the door skin off and unplug the DDM. After that, if it's still shorted, start checking the wire. I should have posted the wire color the other day. I can get that for you later.

The wires are orange, orange/white, and orange/yellow.

The wires are orange, orange/white, and orange/yellow.

I unplugged the driver's seat and pulled it out. No more blown fuse. However, I can't find any wires corresponding to the colors you listed. There are two connectors coming from the harness; a gray 13-wire connector, and a yellow 2-wire connector. Should the colors you listed be on the harnesses that connect to the seat, or contained within the seat itself? Also, is the DSM the black box located along the leading edge of the seat, tucked up partially into the cushion? There are two black boxes there. If it needs to be replaced, is my best bet to get a new one, or try a used salvage yard piece? About how much would a new one run? If it's not too bad, I'll just go that route.

At this point, I have my power mirrors back, and the electronic parking brake isn't showing a fault on the infomration display. Also my CEL (1633, Keep Alive Power Voltage Too Low) is gone. Definately progress, but now need to finish up with the corrective measure on the seat.

Thanks!

JD

I worked with the system a little longer this afternoon, and removed the seat. Unplugged and re-connected all the connectors, and looked at each one. I ran the diagnostic for a bad seat switch, and the put it all back together again. Now it works normally. I guess I'm glad it's working again, but I hate when I don't really know why. Other than resetting all the connectors, I didn't change any parts. Ideas on this?

Thanks,

JD

I worked with the system a little longer this afternoon, and removed the seat. Unplugged and re-connected all the connectors, and looked at each one. I ran the diagnostic for a bad seat switch, and the put it all back together again. Now it works normally. I guess I'm glad it's working again, but I hate when I don't really know why. Other than resetting all the connectors, I didn't change any parts. Ideas on this?

Thanks,

JD

Could have been a loose or dirty connection.

Haha...dodged a bullet on that one. Got the seat out and back in without setting the bag off!

Thanks,

JD

Members online

Back