2003 LS w/THX - Aux Input

TXLS

LVC Member
Reaction score
I've been searching on the forum for threads pertaining to adding an input connection to the THX system. I want to be able to connect an iPhone (or Android) to play music. Through searching, it appears that the PIE FRD-03/AUX is the correct item to purchase. When I searched for this P/N on EBAY, there is a wide variation in pricing, and most listings show the application year starting in 2004. A few question:

- Is this the right part for my application?
- Will the installation of this interface allow the control of the external device through the factory radio?
- What's the best source to order ths item from?

Thanks!

JD

Can anyone give me some input on these questions? I want to get something ordered this week, but want to clarify first.

Thanks,

JD

I believe you'll need a FRD03-AUX/S. I've been searching for a few months and haven't been able to find one in stock. I emailed PIE and they said they are currently not making them.

your both correct. the difference Is the ford aux only gives you 2 rca inputs the aux/s give you meta data on the screen.

your both correct. the difference Is the ford aux only gives you 2 rca inputs the aux/s give you meta data on the screen.

Mine doesn't. The display is the same as the satellite display. I even get a "service sat" error message and lose the input on occasion.

Another point for you: Some early 03 THX navs need a firmware upgrade to work with satellite radio or aux adapters.

So, it sounds like I may or may not need the FRD-03/AUX/S version. Any way for the layman to determine which I need? From my searching, I gathered that the "/S" version was for '04 and up which were satallite-ready. Mine is an '03, so.... Joegr, what is considered "early"? I'll check the date on the certification label tonight, and post it here. Will that help classify my vehicle?

Since the CD changer died, I'm getting grief from the wifey about a way to play her iPhone through the system. Help! :)

Thanks!

JD

Press and hold AUDIO and MENU together for five seconds. Then key in 917 and enter.
This will display the firmware version numbers. I don't know which one won't work, but I can check and see what version I have. There can't be too many versions.

Here is a photo of the readout of the rev levels on the radio screen: IMAG0196.jpg

My car's build date is 04/03/03; don't know if that qualifies as early or late in this context.

Thanks!

JD

IMAG0196.jpg

Mine's a bit newer, but yours may be close enough, I don't know. I'd say that your build date would put it in the middle of the run.

6W4T-10E887-AA
6W4T-18K991-AE
05.20 05/07/22
US V00.04.05
1.30 04/05/05
08.03 01/25/05

so wait... is there a way to tap into the stocker (no navi) on my 05 so i can play music from my phone?? Im tired of the POS radio transfer through station thing...

so wait... is there a way to tap into the stocker (no navi) on my 05 so i can play music from my phone?? Im tired of the POS radio transfer through station thing...

there is a way but the part number that works for the thx is FRD03-AUX/S and apparently is no longer produced, i found the FRD
-AUX but no the /S model , but there no confirmation that would work , until now the easier way seem to be a FM modulator connecte thru the antena cable.

Members online

Back