2004 Aviator Heated/Cooled seats not working

Andrew L

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello, it's been a long time since I posted on this forum. I used to have a 2004 LS but now have a 2004 Aviator beater along side my 2017 MKZ Black Label 3.0T AWD.

Anyway, my Aviator is nearly perfect but I am fixing a few minor things. I am stumped on this one. I tried asking in an Aviator and Explorer group on facebook but the only responses I got were to clean the filter under the seat.

The switch lights up and the fan does indeed kick on but the seats are not getting warmer or cooler at all. Very first thing I did was swap out the filter on the bottom which I remember from my LS days but that did not help. I tore apart the drivers seat to fix the gears since they were stripped and found someone online who sells metal gears for the Explorer/Mountaineer/Aviator and swapped them out so my driver seat works again but it was a serious PITA. I have a 'spare' seat I was using to teach myself how to take it all apart.

If my understanding of this is right the fan sucks the air in then the air gets heated or cooled depending on what you want and it pushes it through to the bottom of the seat and the back correct? I saw on another forum it is supposed to use a "Peltier" to cool the air. I am guessing mine is dead.

So I need to know which part should I hunt down to replace? I see 2C54-18D511-AA is the fan itself, my fan spins but I am wondering if something inside of it is bad? The other part I see is 2C54-18D508-AA which comes up as a "Thermal Electric Device", this is towards the front of the seat and I am not sure if this is what heats and cools it or not I do see a harness coming out of it.

I saw a thread on this forum talking about this for the Lincoln LS and I am guessing its the same process for the Aviator. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

It's the"Thermal Electric Device" that does the heating or cooling, but verify that it is getting current before replacing it. (It could be the electronics driving it instead.)

It's the"Thermal Electric Device" that does the heating or cooling, but verify that it is getting current before replacing it. (It could be the electronics driving it instead.)

Thanks will check this! I do have a spare seat still so I can pull that one off to see if I get anywhere with it too. If the spare works I guess I am on to a junk yard to pull another one. Figuring out how to get it off the seat should be fun.

Members online

No members online now.
Back