2004 Aviator

Upstate

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm not looking to buy a used 2004 Aviator. I'm trying to figure out what was standard equipment. I'm also trying to figure out the colors offered. When I go to the LM web site of course it is all 06. Is anyone awhere of changes to the 06 from 04? I know this wou;d only be cosmetic but what are they? Did they always have a sunroof standard. I can't believe heated seats were not standard in 04. Any help would be appreciated.

2004-05 Aviator differences

Lincoln is not making the Aviator in model year 2006. The current Explorer based version bowed out in model year 2005 due to lackluster sales. The nameplate will return in model year 2007 as a crossover vehicle based on a Mazda platform.

That being said, the differences between the 2004 and 2005 MY of the current Aviator are minimal. Roll stability control (RSC) became a standard feature in 2005 and some of the options were re-packaged. Otherwise, it is essentially the same vehicle. If you were in the market for one, you could probably get a good deal on a 2005 MY vehicle. Some dealers still have a fair number left and are looking to unload them.

It's disappointing to see the Aviator bow out so early, but hardly surprising given the gas mileage and glut of mid-sized SUVs in the market. I have an '05 Aviator that I bought earlier this year and have been quite happy with it. It makes a nice alternative to a Lexus GX470, but cannot match it in terms of quality. However, with the pricing discounts currently offered, it is very competitive with the GX. You should be able to get a loaded Aviator for less than the base price of a GX.

Anyway, hope that helps. Good luck.

Thanks. Is the Navigation and rear entertainment system the same for 2003, 2004, 2005 Aviators? If your Aviator did not come with it can it be added? Is the wiring needed already on the vehicle?

Navigation and RSES

I believe that the rear seat entertainment system did not change during the 3 year run ('03-'05). The '05 version will accept MP3s (supposedly), but I'm not sure about the '03 or '04 versions. Quite honestly, you're better off without it and buying a portable DVD (or 2) for less money than what the option cost. It doesn't take away any headroom in the 2nd row, but it does make the space feel more cramped. The biggest plus I've seen is that you can use the aux input jacks to plug in an iPod or other MP3 player to play music through the sound system.

I've heard the the navigation system was changed during the run. There were some glitches with the early versions which were subsequently fixed in later versions. I believe that the system is the same as the one used in the Navigator. I've been pretty happy with the navigation system in my Aviator. In general, it's been spot on for directions. If you buy an Aviator from a Lincoln dealer, they will send you DVD updates to the system every 2 years. If you buy one from a 3rd party, you may still be able to register it for updates. Ford did a nice job of integrating the nav system with the sound system, yet keeping the climate controls separate. Lexus integrates the climate controls with the nav system and separates the audio, which I think is more of a hassle.

As far as wiring harnesses, you may be out of luck. Though the OEMs generally try to commonize harnesses, in this case, because of the complexity, there were likely different harnesses for the following combinations: 1) base - no RSES, no Nav, 2) RSES only, 3) Nav only, 4) RSES and Nav. I suspect it would be a very tricky matter to add either option retroactively. Again, you may be better off buying a stand alone Nav system as opposed to integrating it into the vehicle. At least you could transfer it to other cars.

I have a 2003 Aviator and I still like and enjoy the vehicle very much. I like the horsepower and the way it handles around curves, very sportslike for a near 5000 lb vehicle. The brakes are exceptional on this vehicle as well. One neat little item that I like are the tilt down reverse mirrors, one little feature that was deleted after the first year. So far the quality and materials still look good. It has 31k miles.

The Nav system is the same in the 04-05 model year, with the exception of the map DVD, the 03's were different for the fact that they did not include the THX sound system in the Nav like the 04-05. As for adding a factory Nav unit to an Aviator that is not equipped with it, do not even try unless you want to do ALOT of work. I work at the Ford St Louis assembly plant where the Avi was built and i know how they go together and the parts that are used, and the body harness is COMPLETLY different in the units with navigation, not to mention you would have change the rear view mirror which is where the microphone for the voice activation is located and you have to change the steering wheel controls, so in my opinion it is more trouble than what it is worth, you are much better off buying an aftermarket unit, feel free to ask me any questions regarding the Aviator, i know how they are built so i might be able to help.

Members online

Back