2004 Headunit into a 2001?

focter

New LVC Member
Reaction score
So I found a head-unit out of a 2004, it has the satellite radio built-in, and I was wondering if I could cram that into where my 2001 factory alpine head-unit goes. Im sure its possible but Im looking for minimum custom work, also minimal intelligence.

I guess somebody with the mechanic books could look up the part numbers and see if they are the same? just an idea.

focter said:
So I found a head-unit out of a 2004, it has the satellite radio built-in, and I was wondering if I could cram that into where my 2001 factory alpine head-unit goes. Im sure its possible but Im looking for minimum custom work, also minimal intelligence.

I guess somebody with the mechanic books could look up the part numbers and see if they are the same? just an idea.
From my understanding its the same size but the wiring is different on the back so you'll have to make a harness up

excellent news, thanks for the quick response. Now I guess I'll look for a pre-made harness.

focter said:

Be aware that the 2004 Radio has a SAT button to allow for the addition of a Satellite module, but not all radios with the SAT button have the modules installed. It was a Dealer installed option. All radios with the SAT button are Satellite (module) ready.

GWL said:
Be aware that the 2004 Radio has a SAT button to allow for the addition of a Satellite module, but not all radios with the SAT button have the modules installed. It was a Dealer installed option. All radios with the SAT button are Satellite (module) ready.

That is correct. NONE have the satellite radio actually installed from the factory. And if all you got is the head unit, you definitely don't have satellite radio. It's a seperate module from the radio...but very easy to install.

I have an 04 Cobra that has the satellite ready radio. I installed the XM radio and have been extremely pleased. But the 03 Cobras did not have the option and the radios have completely different wiring connectors. All the 03 Cobra guys would love the 04 radio, but they are ALL saying it can't be changed. I'm willing to bet the connections are the same between the LS and the Cobra...it looks like it anyway. To the best of my knowledge, there isn't an adapter made that will allow you to switch these radios. Maybe you can get a wiring diagram and make your own?? If you come up with something, I can guarantee you there is a heck of a market for it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back