2005 BMW 545 vs LS8 ultimate

hrlincoln

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Except for the extra hp why would you want to spend 25+ grand more for the 545 ?

for the name is my guess, i do like the wheels but for 25k i could get alot better and make the ls 10+ faster, im clueless too

the 5 series was the target for the LS - between the 530i and the 540i back when it appeared in 2000 - which it did extremely well against (I drove both at the time of deciding).

But since then - BMW has raised the bar again. Is it more money - sure, is it a better automobile - yep (IMHO). I drove a new 5series - it was very nice inside, better power and seemed to handle more nimble than the older 5series.

Yes the name and the engineering is what BMW owners pay for. My old roomate has a M3 and its awesome but so is his car payment and everytime he wants to mod something it cost 3x more then what it would to do ours. Got to admire the Europe market there the reason why we have all our LS's.

-Scott-

Quik LS said:
the 5 series was the target for the LS - between the 530i and the 540i back when it appeared in 2000 - which it did extremely well against (I drove both at the time of deciding).

But since then - BMW has raised the bar again. Is it more money - sure, is it a better automobile - yep (IMHO). I drove a new 5series - it was very nice inside, better power and seemed to handle more nimble than the older 5series.
I agree with you Lou. The BMW is a superior car to the LS but modifying the LS is MUCH cheaper. I love the M3's and will probably own one someday. However, working on the LS sure helps the pocket compared to the Bimmer.

Only bimmer I'll get is the the m3. My dad brought one home to privately work on it for someone. I think it was an '04 or '03 and God it was soo sexy sitting in the shop. My dad said when he was driving it home and turned on our road he got on it for a second and was doing like almost 70 or 80 before he got to our driveway and we are I'd say about 3 or 4 18-wheeler lengths from the entrance of our road! B-E-A-utiful ass car (newer ones anyway).

Other than that bmw, I'd take my ls anyday.

Beamer said:
Only bimmer I'll get is the the m3. My dad brought one home to privately work on it for someone. I think it was an '04 or '03 and God it was soo sexy sitting in the shop. My dad said when he was driving it home and turned on our road he got on it for a second and was doing like almost 70 or 80 before he got to our driveway and we are I'd say about 3 or 4 18-wheeler lengths from the entrance of our road! B-E-A-utiful ass car (newer ones anyway).

Other than that bmw, I'd take my ls anyday.

Only import cars I ever thought about owning was a Porsche 928s4 or GT and the Mitsubishi 3000gt turbo.

Dartastic said:
Only import cars I ever thought about owning was a Porsche 928s4 or GT and the Mitsubishi 3000gt turbo.

I drove that mitsubishi 3000gt vr-4 oh man what a car..!!!!!!

I have a Porsche 928s4 and it still hauls ass like no other!!! Love my LS but when I get the urge to drive a stick I trun to the 928s4. I opened it up once going to vegas and I pulled out at 145mph, she still was climbing with more pedal then I had balls and my wife was yalling at me to slow the F down. "Porsche there is no other"

Joe90804 said:
I have a Porsche 928s4 and it still hauls ass like no other!!! Love my LS but when I get the urge to drive a stick I trun to the 928s4. I opened it up once going to vegas and I pulled out at 145mph, she still was climbing with more pedal then I had balls and my wife was yalling at me to slow the F down. "Porsche there is no other"
I think it's..."Porsche....there is no substitute". :Beer

The vr-4 is the only 3000gt worth getting. All the others are sluggs, surprising the weight of them boats. There is one guy who has 3 of them, none are the fast ones and I told him "why waste money on those when you get the nice one."

My son is overseas on a 6month assignment. He has left his M3 in my driveway and it is a great car. Accelerates and handles in a class by its self. I couldn't believe the handling on a local country road when I took it out.
It picked up a nail in one of its 19 " tires. I had trouble finding a shop that would repair it as a lot of the places here don't want to take the risk of damaging a 19" wheel. But the standard rate for flat repair is $15-20.

I called the local BMW dealer (Checkered Flag) and they can work on 19" wheels. Flat repair costs $90.00. (I wonder if it includes the gun they stick in your back when you pay them)??

I finally found a shop and it was done for $20.00.
Also, the dealer quoted me $810 for 2 new rear tires. Everyone else was between $400-$550.

I can't speak for the 545 but I personally wouldn't give up my LS for one.
I absolutely dislike the new body style.
By the way, my son who owns the M3 loves my LS and always asks to take it out.

If you do get a BMW, make sure you get a warranty package.

Doug

My next car will probably be a 300C SRT8. It'll probably fall apart within five years, but I used to own a 73 Baracuda with a small block and I aways wanted a Hemi.

I heard that the new line of 06 BMW 5 series wont include the v-8 option anymore, they will only offer a 6 cylinder and a 5 series ferocious station wagon.. wtf??

bmw_5series_530xitsportwagon_2006_385x192.jpg

Oh yea.. I forgot to mention the 1100 dollar monthly payment for those who can afford it... I think i'll stick to my 299 a month..

lexdiamondz10304 said:
I heard that the new line of 06 BMW 5 series wont include the v-8 option anymore, they will only offer a 6 cylinder and a 5 series ferocious station wagon.. wtf??

bmw_5series_530xitsportwagon_2006_385x192.jpg

If you look at the tricked out LS's thread you can see an LS wagon that was photoshopped. It's one of my posts, the first one I think. Looks like Lincoln might be rivaling the Beamer wagon as well. Ha!

Quik LS said:

I agree that the LS was just as good as a 5 when it came out, but I haven't driven a new 5. It figures that BMW is better now. It really makes you think, though, what would the LS be like if Lincoln actually tried to improve it? With such a solid chassis, and the 4.2L V8, I'm sure they'd be able to keep up with BMW. If only they tried...

Motts said:
I drove that mitsubishi 3000gt vr-4 oh man what a car..!!!!!!

I owned a VR4 for a year. Worked on it more than I drove it. When one is working properly, it is one hell of a car though. Just a few cheap mods and whoa... Actually my original 'bit' sign on was ttbit for Twin Turbo due to that car.

Dutch said:
I agree that the LS was just as good as a 5 when it came out, but I haven't driven a new 5. It figures that BMW is better now. It really makes you think, though, what would the LS be like if Lincoln actually tried to improve it? With such a solid chassis, and the 4.2L V8, I'm sure they'd be able to keep up with BMW. If only they tried...
im not sure about that my brother has a 95 540i and it will run circles around my ls. its also a 6 speed with stainless exhaust

the 540i has more power than the LS and 530i
the 530i handles better than the LS and 540i
the LS has more power than the 530i and handles better the the 540i

the LS is a nice mix.

Today i parked next to a brand spankin new 545, that car is really sweet looking!!! still would wrather have a 7 series... guess i better start saving!

SurfjaxLS said:
If you look at the tricked out LS's thread you can see an LS wagon that was photoshopped. It's one of my posts, the first one I think. Looks like Lincoln might be rivaling the Beamer wagon as well. Ha!

I seriously doubt that BMW is going to stop doing the V-8 in America. They might not do it in Europe any longer though.

Cheers
:Beer

Members online

No members online now.
Back