2nd alternator in 6 days

67Continental

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Alright, so My alternator died last Sunday. I replaced it that day and it died again last night. This is my 4th dead alternator since january, and I don't know what to do. Luckily, my replacement part has a lifetime warranty, but this is getting to be a big hassle, as I have to go to the US everytime I want to replace it.

I bought some battery cable to replace the positive battery cable coming off the battery, because it didn't look too good inside, but I can't seem to get at where it is attached under the engine - The k-member seems to be in the way. How can I replace this cable? Is there a special method?

no, I did not buy it at autozone. I bought it at partsamerica.com It
s a Palladium 130 amp alternator, for the 2000 Continental.

I have NEVER had any luck with any of the rebuilt alternators from ANY company. I go the extra and call Max and order the alternator from him......but that is just me....:shifty:

man, I really hope I don't have to do that - such a waste of money to throw out this alternator....

does anyone know how to replace the cable that goes from the positive battery terminal to underneath the engine?

how do I get to that location tho? I tried from underneath the engine and it is blocked by the k member. Also, how long of a cable must I use? Is 6 feet sufficient?

The place where you got your alternator from should return your money if you are not happy. Especially since this is like the millionth time you replaced the damn thing.

As for the cable, gimme a few days and I can tell you exactly how long and what you hafta do to get to it. I have an entire wiring harness off of one of the engines I have, and I can measure it out for you and tell you. Also, I can look on my car and see what you need to do to get to the wire to replace it. :D

Have you changed the battery? You should change the battery when you change the alternator....

the battery seems to be fine - it's less than a year old, and it holds a charge well - the day the alternator died, I had it on powering the stereo while I detailed the car for 3 hours....the battery reads 12 volts when the car is off and 11.8 when it is on. I might go get it tested tho, the battery has a 3 year warranty.

ground wire looks great, i replaced both terminals in march and the ground was fine, but the pos. cable was corroded inside.

I have an aftermarket amp installed in my car, it was in there when I bought it....The car ran for 10 months after I bought it before the alternator died, so I don't suspect that it's the amp that's the problem. THe amp is attached to the positive terminal with a 30 amp fuse. Could this be the problem? I don't have subs or anything.

how much power is the amp? maby a CAP is needed

is the amps power and ground wire good? (expeslly ground, wire/screw may have jsut came loose)

i am not sure about the amp's power - haven't really checked it out, it's an alpine, I will go look up the model number this afternoon and check the ground for the amp.

any updates on that cable? i am replacing the alternator today, i am hoping to make it last longer than 6 days this time....

Sorry, but my computer took a crap the other day and I have not really been able to get on. I am on my parents computer right now actually....

Here goes.....The cable is between 4.5 - 5 feet long (has a few bends in it, so that is why I put it that way.....I would lean more towards the 5 feet long that way you have a lil bit of play).

How you get to it......that is going to be fun. It is clipped on the front of the motor, and it is clipped on the very bottom of the motor on the ddrivers side, you will can remove the brackets easily to get to the wire better, or you can simply uncurl the hanger portion of the bracket that has the wire going thru it (if that makes sense). The wire does not go thru the crossmember, but what it does is there is yet another bracket that is bolted to where the motor mount is on the passsenger side, and the wire goes under the front of the oil pan, and then attaches to the motor mount nut/bolt. To be able to change the wire out you will hafta remove the brackets to get the wire out. Not difficult to do, but not really that easy. If you look at the bracket that holds the wire out in front of the motor between the motor and the radiator, you will see what I mean about how the bracket curls around the wire/wireloom to hold it in place. That is the same idea with all of the brackets that hold the wire in place.

You will also hafta remember that there is a wire that goes from the same battery terminal to the engine compartment fusebox as well. That will hafta be replaced as well.

Hope that helps..:shifty:

Members online

No members online now.
Back