?

my oil light ever came on in my white one when i had no oil pressure. If i was low the message would come up. but for the message mine was about quart and a half. That car was a basket case

Well there is the oil level sensor and then there is the oil pressure sensor.

If the red one comes on, there goes your engine :D

For the level though, mine seems to need more than 2 quarts missing, dont ask how I know :)

Isn't it bad if your Mark VIII is eating up enigine oil? I can understand a N* but the Intech shouldn't eat oil. I never get the low oil level in my Mark VIIIs.

Your right, it should not. Thats was part of the "problem" with the 4.6L. The tolerances are very tight and really its a great design and Ford opted later for a lighter oil. Look how long its been out with few, if any, problems. A full quart seems like a lot, even at 120k. I am betting there is an oil filter adapter leak.

I change my own oil and filter (even though I promise myself to take it in for an oil change "next time" every time I do this), and typically fill the empty oil bottles with the old oil... and I always BARELY fit it back in. Absolutelly no burning of oil in my car with 152k miles on it. I use Mobil 1 5W-30 and K&N filters, seems to work very well.

may be a leak. if it is then it's a small one! i used to work at a dodge dealership and every now and then someone would complain of oil consumption.the factory (new vehicle) specs concerning oil consumption was that if it didn't lose more that a half qt in 3,000 miles then no action was taken. that's daimler chrysler though!
i need to get under the car and eyeball everything.

seems to be a leak somewhere near the ac compressor. i can't pinpoint it,but it's just enough to get the compressor wet. any ideas or common problems in this area?

Mine has never used any oil so I don't know when the light comes on. My 2000 Expedition with the 5.4 uses about 2 quarts between 8K mobile 1 oil changes. Go figure???

almost all manufacturers say that 1 quart in 3000 miles is acceptable,
i say thats horrible and the only cars i see losing that much oil in 3k are either leaking or burning it with signs of blue smoke.

my 100k engine doesnt show any noticeable loss in 5k, i have a dodge stratus that uses 1/2 quart in 4k and it doesnt leak or smoke. ???

i always wonder where it goes,i guess it just burns it slow and steady.

i would cry if i bought a new car that used a qt every 3k and then had the dealer tell me "sorry,thats normal"

well dont forget on "natural" oil vs synthetic your going to cook a little bit of the oil between changes I have personally poped off valve covers and removed caked up oil. had the consistency of soft parfan(sp) wax.

IIRC 1qt per 1000mi is acceptable in a Northstar. They burn oil like hell if you don't give the rings some exercise now and then thanks to the aggressive crosshatch pattern and rings that will stick easily.

IIRC 1qt per 1000mi is acceptable in a Northstar. They burn oil like hell if you don't give the rings some exercise now and then thanks to the aggressive crosshatch pattern and rings that will stick easily.

Thats horrible! Let see, for an average user thats 10 quarts a year that is acceptable? Dang! I change my oil once a year, at that burn rate I would ALWAYS be changing my oil!

Members online

No members online now.
Back