3M tape

ponytail john

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi, Trying to find out what 3M tape to use on the outside of the car, strong enough to attach a rear spoiler (low profile). I checked at Advance Auto and got no real answer there, they had side molding tape and that was about it. If someone could tell me the exact 3M tape name I would really appreciate it. I would probable find it in Home Depot? Thanks in advance.:) :)

Best bet is to go to a body shop supply place- take the spoiler so they can check the material and recommend an adhesive tape.

ponytail john said:
Hi, Trying to find out what 3M tape to use on the outside of the car, strong enough to attach a rear spoiler (low profile). I checked at Advance Auto and got no real answer there, they had side molding tape and that was about it. If someone could tell me the exact 3M tape name I would really appreciate it. I would probable find it in Home Depot? Thanks in advance.:) :)
use the gray colored super 3M tape. it also has a red colored backing tape on it. I got mine at O'Riellys.

Perfect timing on this question!! I just received my LMS wing yesterday and I'm gonna be looking for the tape. Thanks for the info.

JC1994....good call thats what you need, My Friend had a GTP and when I repainted it from the guy he bought it off of all the bolts were broke...I used that and he couldnt get it off when he sold it...

BrightsMarkVIII said:
JC1994....good call thats what you need, My Friend had a GTP and when I repainted it from the guy he bought it off of all the bolts were broke...I used that and he couldnt get it off when he sold it...
yeah, that stuff is CRAZY strong. just make sure you get any wax or dirt cleaned off.

I just picked up a roll at "The Zone" $7.98 7/8"X5ft. Part #03615 Super Strength Molding Tape. Hopefully it's the right one and thanks again for all the replies. This site rocks!:)

could, but it's about a 1/16th inch thick, so itll stick out some.

I would use a glue of some sort. clean the surfaces down real good, and super glue it.

Mike

94m5 said:
could, but it's about a 1/16th inch thick, so itll stick out some.

I would use a glue of some sort. clean the surfaces down real good, and super glue it.

Mike

i used testors model paint, with an airbrush to do mine. the first one i glued with that clear epoxy that comes in a bottle that looks like a syringe... it ended up discoloring the paint and turned it brown in some places, so i wouldnt use that. what did everyone else use?

cuz, now i made a new one and need a good glue/tape to use... so whad u guys use?

o and by the way... this one doesnt say svt. everyone can relax now..:)

I don't know how the surfaces match up.

You could use the foam tape that will raise the panel off the deck some and maybe it needs it to fill in some voids. Don't know.

Otherwise, I would use a transfer tape. Kind of like double stick scotch tape. Very thin.

You can use masking tape to establish the edge of the tape. Apply the tape to the trunk lid, butting it along the edge of the masking tape. Peel off the liner and apply the spoiler. You have to make sure everything is lined up correctly. If you really don't know what you're doing, for the money you spent on the spoiler, pay a guy $50 to mount the spoiler for you.

Here are a couple of places that have decent transfer mounting tape. Ask a couple of body shops their opinions.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?ItemId=1611757774

http://www.mcmaster.com/ Page 3231

Members online

No members online now.
Back