5spd mt to automatic?

00_slow_5spd_ls

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
i have a 2000 ls v6 manual. i want to put an auto tranny in, what work needs to be done and does anyone want to trade, the tranny has 10xxx miles on it

One way would be to get a used A5 tranny from a 3.0 LS and then run it standalone with a PTCS controller. If you need the controller let me know as my buddy who is also a performance shop owner is a PTCS dealer and should be able to take care of you.

You may be able to retrofit your LS PCM and all that jazz to run the trans that way but I have a feeling that it will end up being more of a PITA and maybe more expensive then just running the transmission totally standalone with its own programmable controller. We have done that kind of stuff with the Mustangs but their EEC-V PCM's are one heck of allot more simpler than the PTEC's in the LS's.

What about reflashing the ECM for the coresponding version of the car with the A5? That is the trick for the SST, why couldn't you reflash it with the same VIN with the regular or sport base program? That way the engine is setup for the auto aswell. Not sure what the differences would be but some modern EFI cars I've heard had slightly different tunes depending on the transmission.

Probably easier just to sell it and buy an auto car. Manual cars usually sell for a few bucks more than auto, so if you buy private party and sell the current one yourself, the only thing you would be out is sales tax. Even if you go through a dealer trade in difference should only be $1,500, which is probably less than you would pay to convert. Converting your current car would really hurt the resale value, so I wouldn't do the conversion unless you're planning on keeping the car for a long time.

Have you driven these cars with the auto? I have an '01 v8 sport. I really want an '03+ v6 manual. These auto tranny are crap. They shift hard or indecisive. You can feel it jump between gears almost like its confused. Thats just how they work. I would much rather have the manual. I wouldn't convert! If you want auto then yes, buy another car.

03's had manuals? Thought it was just the first couple years of production.

00-02 V6 manual only, no 03+. No V8s with manual. Auto tranny in the LS does suck big time (huge time) by the way.

Auto tranny in the LS does suck big time (huge time) by the way.

It just needs a good tune to wake it up. We are finding that the 5R55S, W, N transmissions are actually better than what most of us thought on its initial debut. With a proper tune and keeping the bands adjusted correctly we are putting some serious power through these and having last pretty well and also shift very crisp too.

Well if you are serious about the swap, I'd take your pedal cluster, clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder, pcm code for the A5 SST in my wife's car.

Well if you are serious about the swap, I'd take your pedal cluster, clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder, pcm code and cross member for the A5 SST in my wife's car.

I already have a manual tranmission in my garage, but not the rest of the stuff.

It just needs a good tune to wake it up. We are finding that the 5R55S, W, N transmissions are actually better than what most of us thought on its initial debut. With a proper tune and keeping the bands adjusted correctly we are putting some serious power through these and having last pretty well and also shift very crisp too.

This is interesting news, as up until now, it was thought that it was the hydraulics of the transmission that resulted in the somewhat delayed shifting with the LS transmission. Glad some progress is being made.

This is interesting news, as up until now, it was thought that it was the hydraulics of the transmission that resulted in the somewhat delayed shifting with the LS transmission.

Nope, not really. There are quite a few safeguards in the stock Ford tuning that need to be modified to have the trans shift like allot of people want them to.

In looking over this thread I decided that in your shoes I'd look for someone to trade CARS with. That would be ALOT easier IMHO.

But then again, you may have a big attachment or have put alot of work into modding the car you have now.

Members online

No members online now.
Back