97 mk 8 Suspension Problems

heard2

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 97 mk 8 and the rear end is on the ground, but when the ignition is turned on it raises up. Is this problem caused by a leak due to the system bleeeding, or where do I need to look? The front is fine its only the rear.

Vent solenoid is stuck open for the rear bags. It's not often that the rear will go bad as much as the front. Either the small solenoid on the rear drivers back side needs to be replaced or on the air pump itself it's stuck open.

My 97 did the exact same thing. Turned out to be a leaky driver side rear air spring. You could hear it hissing if you listened carefully after you shut the car off. I happened to have a used one I kept as a spare (right and left rear are interchangeable) so I threw it on the car and all was well with no further issues.

More than likely one or both of the rear bags. Get the bags aired up, turn off switch in trunk, jack up rear, get a spray bottle, fill with water and some dish soap, spray the bags down real good an look for bubbles. Most bags I have checked like this bubble at the bottom where the bag folds over.

The rear bags are not independent like the fronts. If one leaks it will cause the other to deflate as well. Need to check both of them.

I agree fully with go fast. If the pump was stuck open wouldn't it deflate the fronts also? And if it was the purge wouldn't they not fill up at all from full deflation? I'm just sayin.

agree'd its definatley a rear bag leak..maybe both.

I agree fully with go fast. If the pump was stuck open wouldn't it deflate the fronts also? And if it was the purge wouldn't they not fill up at all from full deflation? I'm just sayin.

yes on both counts, the front would be affected as well if it were the vent solenoid in the compressor

Thank you xlr I wasn't exactly sure I've only repaired air ride on a TC. Coil converted FTW!!!!!! [that would be my mark btw]

Leak found

Thanks guys, the leak was on the rear drivers side, there is a hole in the boot. The spray bottle did the trick pinpointing it.

one bad bag no matter where it is, front/rear, will pull down the other, making it look like both are bad.

This just might have ended my searching! I have searched and searched...i think i have it!

I have the Ray Switch on my 98 and we went through a bad freeze down south 12 degrees. lol I vented the system friday a few times in various places for some photo ops.
Friday night was the freeze and it leaked down (as usual) so no biggie,I start the car the next morning and the front raises and the rear does nothing. I hit the switch a few times and nothing happens,so I vent the system here is the problem. The rear takes in the air from the front and i have to hit the switch to raise it again,so the front goes up.

Hoping it solved the problem I vented the system just to have the rear do the same thing and take in all of the fronts air.

Is my rear vent sylenoid stuck open?

I dont have the chance to get on here much,I use my phone for email. So if anyone could help,could you please post here and also email me?

Sorry for any inconvenience in this. My email is mach1lincoln@yahoo.com

Thanks so much!
Isaiah Gibbs

my 93 use to leak down in the back all the time untill I took off one of the back tires and found a leak in the hose and fixed the leak with a sealer

Members online

No members online now.
Back