A new one for ya - not running well at all

Kevin

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Did the search, had a few similar problems to some hits.

Think it's the fuel system, could be cam or crank sensor, plugs/wires.

Occasionally the car (94) will be running down the road very nicely, when it acts up - jerking/bucking etc., I shut it off, neutral it - and fire it back up, and away it goes good as new.

That didn't work last night. Wouldn't run right at all after firing it back up, turning it off and on again a few times. Sat on the shoulder, nursed it 1 mile at 5mph (all it would do) to the next exit where it is currently sitting in a commuter lot. Was bucking/hesitating, clunking a bit, and wouldn't exceed 1500rpm and only a few times would get that high. Was pretty much idling it there.

It's got about 150k miles, oil was just changed (maybe I bumped a wire loose at the crank sensor?), temp gauge didn't move from normal, coolant reservoir is still full. Fuel is about 1/3 tank.

Any ideas? The clunking had me worried that it might not be fuel flow issues, could it be knocking due to lack of gas (would that be detonating in the cylinders)?

I checked on it a few hours later once it was cooled off, and it fires up fast, but runs like crap and won't rev over 2k rpm.

The check engine light flashed on a few times and went out, but so did the over drive light too.

Ain't this a doozy?

IAC is a common failure PITA to change on a Gen I. my Gen II was a 5 minute job. Never seen if fail to this extreme. Did you get any trouble code?

pull the codes use the cheap actron reader or make your own there are to many things this could be from, fuel pressure,crank sensor ,wet wires,coil packs,sucked a cat down the air intake,maf,really bad fuel filter,a short circuit,

No trouble codes are stored though, the CEL doesn't stay on. This was from the last time's it acted up.

Was thinking clogged cats too, but usually that issue doesn't just turn on and off, it just gets worse progressively and then stays that way.

As much as I appreciate the answers so far, I don't want to go changing parts willy nilly yet. Will have to I guess if it comes down to it, but if anybody knows for sure - let me know!

Thanks guys.

iac wont cause a lack/loss of power.

monitor fuel pressure. when was the last time the filter was changed? sounds like its starving.

actually sounds like something in the tank intermittantly blocking the pickup but not very likely.

It does not matter if the CEL doesn't stay on all the time. Even if it flashes it will be stored in the computer. Have you checked for codes lately?

stored in the comp not necisarily... i can drive on the highway n have check engine come on in my 94... i went to a shop n they put their snap on scanner on... with the LIGHT STILL ON... they could not get a code read... tryed 2 ways n still says no code present... even with the light on... it might b something that doesnt affect the emission but still throws the light.. n comp wont store it.

stored in the comp not necisarily... i can drive on the highway n have check engine come on in my 94... i went to a shop n they put their snap on scanner on... with the LIGHT STILL ON... they could not get a code read... tryed 2 ways n still says no code present... even with the light on... it might b something that doesnt affect the emission but still throws the light.. n comp wont store it.

use a ford scanner. 10 bucks says its there.

I had an oxygen sensor go bad from being splashed with coolant when my heater hose burst.

Similar symptoms resulted from it, as far as engine performance went, though mine was never rev limited at any time during the trouble.

My EEC didn't immediately throw any codes when I tried scanning it. It wasn't till after several trips, and scan attempts that a code came up.

do you have a chip,might be computer related,vcrm, did you splash water on the motor, if that check engine light came on while running and went off it has a soft code if it stays on all the time its a hard code,tow it home or in the middle of the night have someone push you back so you can resolve the problem keep us up to date good luck one less lincoln on the road is sad

do you have a chip,might be computer related,vcrm, did you splash water on the motor, if that check engine light came on while running and went off it has a soft code if it stays on all the time its a hard code,tow it home or in the middle of the night have someone push you back so you can resolve the problem keep us up to date good luck one less lincoln on the road is sad

I agree it's sad - this 94 isn't pristine, but it's still far too nice for the junkyard. Where this morning I saw 3 Mark 8's in pieces :(.

We're going to push it home tonight (about 5 miles away), and I'll putter around with it in the driveway.

Was a dry night, shouldn't be water related.

Exactly what's happened with this one. It was owned by my brother (a licensed mechanic) and he couldn't figure out why it would do the herky-jerky thing occasionally. Also he couldn't find a way to pull any codes using different scanners (but probably not a Ford specific one).

Fuel filter could use changing, I've never done it - but only have owned it for 4 months. Why would the filter just act up all of a sudden though, and intermittently? It should gradually slow the flow, not start/stop it. Also it starts fine, and fast.

Does anybody think it may be tranny related, as the OD light was also flickering on/off when the problem happens (happened)?

Members online

No members online now.
Back