A new one on me...Cracked diff cover

Good thought Quik, well it's not good but it makes sense. That just makes me sick to think of that. Ring and pinion gear are not cheap. Any idea what would have caused it to chew teeth off? Especially when it was running great for the last three weeks?

I should have just done the damn full swap to 8.8 casing, carrier, and a 4:10

Did you refill with 80/90 and the friction additive for LSD's? Not that i know if that makes a difference, but it was recommended to me to not use the 75/140 that the open diffs use.

What was your backlash set at?

Again, just throwing these out there. I have no idea how bad of an effect either one could have.

Well I used the 75/140 and the additive. What is the backlash supposed to be set at? Idid this with a buddy of mine who runs a local mechanic shop. I trusted he knew what he was doing because he rebuilds a least one diesel rig diff a day. I know it's a little different but the concept in about the same and i know he's rebuilt other diffs.

LOL...don't feel bad, dude. This was my old 87 LSC's 8.8 after a romp down the 1/4 mile track...

Wasn't as newly done as yours, but still sucked that I had to re-do it all...the next time with stronger axles, girdle, aluminum driveshaft, etc...

Sh*t happens, man. That's about all I can say to ya. You'll get it sorted out.

P1010001-1.jpg

P1010002-1.jpg

If you did the work with a mechanic with knowledge of diff's, backlash SHOULD be fine. The shop manual calls for .008" to .012". I didn't see this when I did my diff swap, so I'm running like .005" right now. Just making sure you didn't have like a .000 backlash or something.

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure we were with in that range. I will tear into it tonight and see what actually happened. I just can't imagine what went wrong. I purposely spent two days going through it to ensure I wasn't missing anything. Think it's possible I got a defective Ring gear or something and it just broke?

LOL...don't feel bad, dude. This was my old 87 LSC's 8.8 after a romp down the 1/4 mile track...

Wasn't as newly done as yours, but still sucked that I had to re-do it all...the next time with stronger axles, girdle, aluminum driveshaft, etc...

Sh*t happens, man. That's about all I can say to ya. You'll get it sorted out.

holy hell!! bet you felt that!

Members online

No members online now.
Back