A PILLAR GAUGE INSTALL opinions!?!?!

here are mine wrapped

pillar1.jpg

it didn't come out perfect, but it was my first time carpeting and the :q:q:q:q wasn't all to stretchy so that mad it tough too.

Damn, I want one of those LSK pods too....anyone else have one to sell? I dont want to be left out of the cool pod club.

Check with Alax and see what he has up his sleeve. He always does excellent work so if he is fabricating one maybe you can get in on it and be really unique.

I'll be making my own so I dont need it after all.

The LSK one isn't bad, but they stick out too far IMO. Can't wait to see what you come up with. I'm not eager to hack up my pillar yet since I don't even have the wideband. It sure looks like there's enough room to recess half the gauge but I guess you need your specific gauge first to measure. And it has to have the same cloth wrap as the existing pillars.

I need to catch a ball before I throw another one in the air! I've got a headlight project that's been delayed and a bottle heater waiting to go in (just some wiring). I might be able to check the limited slip install off the list within a week or two though!:D

The LSK one isn't bad, but they stick out too far IMO. Can't wait to see what you come up with. I'm not eager to hack up my pillar yet since I don't even have the wideband. It sure looks like there's enough room to recess half the gauge but I guess you need your specific gauge first to measure.

+1, one of the reasons I'm making my own.

Recess where?

With gauges

DSCN0289.jpg

It blocks too much of the view when turning left for me.

What I'm going for

DSCN0291-1.jpg

I have this 1/4 of the way done, started before my car left but never finished it because it was gone for so long.

I made my own using a universal gauge pod that I trimmed to fit the pillar then wrapped it all to look good. But I agree the LSK ones are rather large and outward sticking.

pod4.jpg

pod3.jpg

pod2.jpg

pod1.jpg

pillar1.jpg

pod5.jpg

Also I like your Idea alax, keep them kinda hidden and out of the way, although maybe difficult to focus on while driving. Ever think about molding them onto the top of the cluster area, like little round pods that come up a bit on each side? If you could make it look good that would be neet

So unless I am missing something, is it not possible to trim the lsk back, use some type of sealant, and then carpet? That way it still looks nice and clean.

So unless I am missing something, is it not possible to trim the lsk back, use some type of sealant, and then carpet? That way it still looks nice and clean.

if you where to trim it back you could probably use a two part epoxy to put it back together. The stuff sets rock hard then you could sand it down and carpet it.

+1

If its too bad.. i'll try some mods to it... im a wizard with a dremel :cool:...

Thanks for the advise/ideas guys... I'm going to look more into the PLX's, if not keep them black...

+1, one of the reasons I'm making my own.
Recess where?

Kind of like this:
pod.gif

Please excuse the ProE and MS Paint hack job. This is roughly the look from the passenger seat and shows the what I meant by the gauge being half-recessed. The only spot the actual structural pillar that is close to the pillar cover is along the bottom. In actuality the gauge may have to be slightly higher up on the pillar. I drew a mechanical gauge, but an electronic display likely takes up much less space and could sit well inside the pillar cover.

Alax, plead do not forget to send me the pics. Thx....

Will do right now.

Kind of like this:
pod.gif

Please excuse the ProE and MS Paint hack job. This is roughly the look from the passenger seat and shows the what I meant by the gauge being half-recessed. The only spot the actual structural pillar that is close to the pillar cover is along the bottom. In actuality the gauge may have to be slightly higher up on the pillar. I drew a mechanical gauge, but an electronic display likely takes up much less space and could sit well inside the pillar cover.

Oh, I see now. That a good one too, I like.

where can i find that pi..... oh what, thats not real :D...

I get what your throwin down, Seriously that would look good... We'll see how bad the LSK is...

Also I like your Idea alax, keep them kinda hidden and out of the way, although maybe difficult to focus on while driving. Ever think about molding them onto the top of the cluster area, like little round pods that come up a bit on each side? If you could make it look good that would be neet

Yeah, I have thought about that but I dont think I will like it sticking out like that. This is what I have found to be the best solution for me, I will keep looking at an alternative now that I have my car back :D

Yeah I thought about doing it with a fuel pressure and oil pressure of something gauge, I think it could look rather nifty

Please excuse the ProE and MS Paint hack job.

Knowing ProE, you're excused. That is the epitomy of frustrating design programs. SolidWorks and UG FTW!

I like your idea of recessing the gauge. Choosing the gauge you want with the smallest mounting depth could really sink it in there. Problem with the others is that they have to accept a wide range of gauges and fit only the diameter. A custom one would be gnarly *Thumbs up!*

Knowing ProE, you're excused. That is the epitomy of frustrating design programs. SolidWorks and UG FTW!

I like your idea of recessing the gauge. Choosing the gauge you want with the smallest mounting depth could really sink it in there. Problem with the others is that they have to accept a wide range of gauges and fit only the diameter. A custom one would be gnarly *Thumbs up!*
lol, I can make my way through solidworks, but have not used it nearly as much so I'm a little slower in it. Each one has some things that suck and some things that are nice about them, but they are much more similar than they used to be. I happened to have an open proE window so I hacked it out- whole thing was about 5 minutes. I have been thinking about adding wideband and fuel pressure gauges.
You're exactly right though- they designed theirs to accept a wide array of gauges. Part of what makes the styling on this car is its subtleties. I don't want to necessarily attract attention to the gauge by having it stick out, I want to just be able to read it, and have most other people not even notice it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back