Ac/parking brake/trans

stinkonia

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody I just bought my first LS v6 and so far not so good. after I bought it 600 dollars on plugs and boots. now two days after the repair

1 no AC and there is a crazy weird creaking noise under the dash when the temp is changed or it is turned on or off.

2 service parking brake randomly comes on it always come on just depends how long you drive before it comes on.

3 at 55 MPH the car seems like it can not decide what gear it wants to be in so it keeps changing from fourth to fifth and the car drives like crap, however if you drive like you dont care about the care it shifts fine no hiccups.

does anyone have a clue

Search. And nobody knows what year ls you got either.

I don't know about the first two but I'm betting on solenoid pack for the shifting issue. The part is around $400 from a dealer but you can get it from FordPartsGiant for $317. To have it installed is usually around $200. Might as well change out the trans filter at the same time.

What year is the car? People are going to want to know.

Well, it must be a gen II.
The creaking noise is normal, it's little air doors moving.
When you say the AC doesn't work, do you mean that you get really hot air out? If so, it's almost certainly your DCCV.
The service parking break issue is likely caused by your bad DCCV, believe it or not.
If you had replaced the COPs (coils) instead of just the boots, it probably wouldn't drive like crap.

Now, here's the real clue for you. All the answers to this and more are already here. You just need to search. This is your free one. If you want good help, you need to show that you are willing to do some work yourself, by searching this site.

sorry I had written this long nice thread and when i hit post it didn't so frustration just made me hurry it is a 2004 I did not change the COPS the mechanic told me 1100 to change those.

sorry I had written this long nice thread and when i hit post it didn't so frustration just made me hurry it is a 2004 I did not change the COPS the mechanic told me 1100 to change those.

COPs are about $50 each at worst (there are better deals now and then), so $300 for parts. If he really changed all the plugs, then he had to remove all the COPs and put them back, so there would have been no more labor. The boots don't need to be replaced (new ones come on the COPs) so that was a rip-off too. Find a new mechanic.

I don't know about the first two but I'm betting on solenoid pack for the shifting issue. The part is around $400 from a dealer but you can get it from FordPartsGiant for $317. To have it installed is usually around $200. Might as well change out the trans filter at the same time.

What year is the car? People are going to want to know.

You might want to get a new valve body as well because the shift springs could be getting weak or something more....

You might want to get a new valve body as well because the shift springs could be getting weak or something more....

It's possible, but unlikely. As far as I'm aware, bad springs aren't very common in the 5R55S. In the 5R55N, the 3-4 spring is a common failure point but that's not the case here. With how common the solenoid pack issue is, I wouldn't throw a valve body at the car unless it's your last option. It's not usually the issue.

joegr is probably correct:
noises are probably the doors.
heater valve (AKA the DCCV) is likely the culprit for the hot air
my parking brake had issues at the same time i had issues with the heater valve, and others have reported the same thing. replacing the heater valve magically solved parking brake issue.
As for the stutter between 4 and 5, that can be fixed by calibration assuming you do not have mechanical failures. the main thing that may be failing would be the ignition coils. based on what you were charged i would imagine that your mechanic replaced them and you just didnt tell us that, but i dont know. but anyways assuming your coils are good, there is a way to calibrate the torque converter to eliminate the chatter/studder btwn 4 and 5. search for 'drive cycle', look for the post where someone posted the procedure for the drivecycle. the specific portion of the drive cycle you need to do involves starting in d4 and throwing it into d5 at a certain speed X5 to set the sensor. after that, and once again assuming there isnt another issue, the 4-5 shift will be smoother

You can disconnect the battery for a half hour and the tranny will be in learn mode. Reinstall and take for a ride,see if any dif. Dealer can reflash trany to upgrade software for smoother op. Is the fluid level correct? If the soleonoid asmby. is bad nothing will help but a new one.
If it slams when going into reverse( like my car) you can be pretty sure it's the sol. asmbly.
This is a very common problem for the 5r55n. They came from the factory defective and Ford's answer was to add a friction modifier to the fluid.
Good Luck

Members online

No members online now.
Back