AC Problem

GMAN

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Today, I experienced a problem with my AC on my 93. Everything is blowing through the defrost. No matter what button is pushed. What can be causing this?

There is probably a leak in one of the vacuum hoses on top of the engine.
Easy to repair, the same thing happened to me.

Just a think blank plastic vacuum line on your '93.
I remember it running from the back of the firewall to the top of the intake manifold. Mine was broken into two. If it's just blowing out the defrost vents now, my guess would be yours is also broken and not just a pin hole.

If it was a '97, then you might have been dealing with the blend door issue, but thankfully you're talking about the vastly superior, Gen1.

You can get the parts to replace it at any of the auto parts stores. The hose and the little rubber end connectors are sold separately, probably in the HELP section.

I think it's the hose in the middle of the intake manifold that runs in the direction of the passenger side firewall... or at least that was the one on mine that snapped.

I don't have a diagram of the HVAC, so it could possibly be any of the others as well though.

...just take a look. It's not a hidden.

Remove the engine beauty cover.

Right there, in the middle of the intake, between the tubes. Black plastic vacuum line. It connects right above the manifold and it runs towards the passenger side.

It's a good starting point. If it's broken, you've found the problem.
If it's not, just look for any other hose that is broken.

When you look at the engine, it'll be staring right at you. It's all by itself, right there in the middle.

Got it! As stated it was staring me right in the face. Luckily there was still enough hose left to slide it further on.:D

001.jpg

They have a tendency to just dry out and crack. They're run right across the top of the manifold, under the cover, so I'd imagine all that heat eventually just breaks the plastic down.

What is scary is how much money mechanics can make over a simple fix such as this. The average person with no basic mechanical skills would probably be out of at least $150.00

What is scary is how much money mechanics can make over a simple fix such as this. The average person with no basic mechanical skills would probably be out of at least $150.00

"some" might, that would be the first place i would look and fix it in the parking lot and send them on their way and i work at a "stealership" if i gotta rip into the dash THAT will cost you

and calabrio, the gen 2 blend door issue is for the temp door actuator (actually just the lever), there making the "cruse light" on the gen2 makes it far superior to the gen1 :headbang:

Last edited:
mine was broke too, but when i fixed it it still didnt blow out anywhere but the dash, i disconected the 3 way valve and just spliced the one off the top of the motor to the one that whent threw the firewall, and now every thing works, what did i by pass by not going threw the 3 way ?????

So I have a question about the AC on a 98. I am about to replace the Compressor, is there anything else that NEEDS replaced at the same time?

Also, how much freon will I need to put in? IE will it drain the entire system when I have it replaced or are there check valves that will keep it in the system?

Thanks.

It may be wise to replace the orifice tube and accumulator. Did your compressor come apart or something? If so there are probably a lot of metal shavings and whatnot throughout the system. And if you're going to take apart lines, you're supposed to recover the refrigerant with a machine or vacuum pump. Not sure how much 134a it takes though.

no, the clutch went out of it, and I have decided just to replace the whole compressor rather than just the clutch assembly. And yes, I know you are supposed to have a special vac...

Well then I don't know if you would really NEED to replace anything else. I'm no expert but we just talked about this in an AC class I'm taking. It couldn't hurt to replace the accumulator though, as it has the dessicant which absorbs moisture buildup in the system.

Members online

Back