Adding a Sub to the Factory System

Ahh!!! Thank you very much! Instructions and schematics helped a lot.

I got a 10 inch JL audio Box, still have my old school JBL300 BP amp. Can not wait to install it next week.

Get your signal from either the left or right rear speaker. Get yourself a line out converter.
200x162-loc80.jpg

T-tap pos and neg. Just let it hang right there by the speaker. Next get about 6 to 10 ft of rca jacks and route it from the line out converter to the amp. You need a remote turn on for the amp, you need to isolate the wire that turns on the JBL amp ad t-tap into that as well. You can access that wire from the set of wires on the left side of the trunk. I don't know what color wire it is without using a tester. I have to say though if you are not skilled with this, it would be much less of a headache to take it to your local install shop. Here an amp install runs about $60.

Greg, take the signal directly from behind the stereo, not from the amplified speaker wires. This is what Laser was trying to explain. You only need one side, not two (as in right and left). It's a sub so no need for "stereo" sound from the sub. Use left or right, which ever you prefer "or" find the two wires needed, pos/neg before they enter the amp. 12volt.com should give you the colors you're looking for.

While you're running your wires, go ahead and do the toggle switch idea you had and run that wire too so that it can be cut off when you want it off. Just don't forget to cut it off lol.

If Gen 2 and before entering the amp:

Right Rear (+) Orange/Red
Right Rear (-) White/Purple

If Gen 1 and before entering the amp:

Right Rear (+) Pink/Blue
Right Rear (-) Green/Orange

Check behind factory stereo to verify these colors so that you know you're getting the signal before they enter the amplifier.

i tapped mine before the amp and only had to use a 1.5ft rca to go to the subamp..Space wise it would prob be easier hooking it up behind the deck. I had to take out my backseat so i could tap into mine..I'm 6'4" so i wasnt about to climb in the trunk..Didn't even think about tapping into the wires at the h/u.

i tapped mine before the amp and only had to use a 1.5ft rca to go to the subamp..Space wise it would prob be easier hooking it up behind the deck. I had to take out my backseat so i could tap into mine..I'm 6'4" so i wasnt about to climb in the trunk..Didn't even think about tapping into the wires at the h/u.

Thats exactly what I will do. I will splice into the cables pre factory AMP, and go RCA from there into my Aftermarket JBL amp. Nice clean Signal.

I want a Pioneer AVIC D3 so bad, but I do not have a garage right now and have to park on the street, and in Brooklyn, it will not take too long to have it stolen, window broken, dash ripped apart.

Thats exactly what I will do. I will splice into the cables pre factory AMP, and go RCA from there into my Aftermarket JBL amp. Nice clean Signal.

I want a Pioneer AVIC D3 so bad, but I do not have a garage right now and have to park on the street, and in Brooklyn, it will not take too long to have it stolen, window broken, dash ripped apart.

Yeah you got 2 choices there. behind the h/u and run a 10ft rca to the trunk or tap into the wires right before it goes into the amp and use a 1~ft rca..eh, i feel like i'm repeating myself..

Thats 1 thing keeping me from getting a nice dd. Granted i live in a nice area but still..
You could always get 1 of those fake stereo covers that you can put over it when you park.

You need a remote turn on for the amp, you need to isolate the wire that turns on the JBL amp ad t-tap into that as well.

sometimes that works, if your amp has a 5v turn on option. i tried exactly this but couldn't get the amp to turn on, checked all my wiring and found the factory amp remote wire is a 5v reference voltage. so i ripped everything out and did it right and never looked back :cool:

sometimes that works, if your amp has a 5v turn on option. i tried exactly this but couldn't get the amp to turn on, checked all my wiring and found the factory amp remote wire is a 5v reference voltage. so i ripped everything out and did it right and never looked back :cool:

When I first did this thread, this was when I had my 97. What I ended up doing was running a remote wire from behind the radio, all the way to the Bazooka. The wire harness had a line for the amp turn on. In the end, I ended up doing a full rewire, and got rid of the Bazooka.

Guys I installed the box and all sounds great. I love it. Pics will come soon.

One problem. Any place to get the remote wire for the amp without running it from the front of the car? I have a factory phone option. But there are only 3 plugs going into the JBL amp, and there is a separate black box for the phone I guess.

Thanks.

If you have a CD player you can tap off the switched wire to turn your Bazooka or Amp on. Also if you are taping one Bazooka in just use one speakers wire cause bass is Mono not stereo. If you bring both wires together you will turn that pair of speakers mono as the signal will cross over to the other speaker.

I'm still running the stock JBL amp on my Hi's with a 13W7 on a 1/1000 JL amp in my trunk. With the Alpines built in crossover the factory Mids can keep up with this insane sub :cool:
13W7.jpg

Yeah I know the install looks like crap but I don't care cause it doesn't move and shakes the floor like your going over railroad tracks :eek:

Is this the wire thats in the gray plug to the amp?
Color?

Thanks

Members online

No members online now.
Back