Adding Satellite

jwkuipers

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Does the car require any type of flash/pcm upgrade to add the satellite option?

I have a 2004 with the thx navigation system. However am not actually adding the satellite, I am adding the PIE FRD03 POD/S. PIE’s tech wasn’t able to get a hold of a LS with navigation to test it on, so I am testing it for him.

So far so good, everything is back where it is supposed to be, but no SAT button has appeared on the menu. I've looked thru a few other posts of people that have added it, and it looks like they may have had an upgrade, but I am not sure.

jwkuipers said:
Does the car require any type of flash/pcm upgrade to add the satellite option?

I have a 2004 with the thx navigation system. However am not actually adding the satellite, I am adding the PIE FRD03 POD/S. PIE’s tech wasn’t able to get a hold of a LS with navigation to test it on, so I am testing it for him.

So far so good, everything is back where it is supposed to be, but no SAT button has appeared on the menu. I've looked thru a few other posts of people that have added it, and it looks like they may have had an upgrade, but I am not sure.

In order to interface with the NAV/THX, you will need the Visteon unit. I just paid ~$300 for the system from my source. The PIE unit should just add a "DJ" option.

The FRD03 IPOD adapter adds a CDDJ button (I have one as well). This FRD03 IPOD/S version is ment to take the place of the optional satellite reciever. In place of channels it puts your playlists. It also puts the text of the current song on the display.

Yes, there is a software upgrade when you have the satellite radio installed by the dealer. The "FM2" button is changed to SAT1/SAT2/SAT3, and you can toggle between each of the 1, 2, and 3 banks of presets. The FM1 button is changed to an FM1/FM2 button so you can toggle through 2 sets of FM presets. Additional Sirius info is added to the "Menu" screen including a user access number that Sirius uses to know which radio you have.

ToddG said:
Yes, there is a software upgrade when you have the satellite radio installed by the dealer. The "FM2" button is changed to SAT1/SAT2/SAT3, and you can toggle between each of the 1, 2, and 3 banks of presets. The FM1 button is changed to an FM1/FM2 button so you can toggle through 2 sets of FM presets. Additional Sirius info is added to the "Menu" screen including a user access number that Sirius uses to know which radio you have.

I'm not sure if you need a dealer installed software upgrade. A friend of mine installed his own Visteon unit (the same one I have and am in the process of installing) and he said all he had to do was turn the key on and off a few times.

ToddG said:

SUCCESS!!! There is no dealer visit needed. I just added the serial number to my Sirius account, fired up the system and I now have satellite radio! The voice commands work as well as the steering wheel controls.

One VERY SATISFIED '06 owner!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back