Advice on a '06 LS

bstanboothe

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello All, I'm considering in purchasing a 2006 LS Sport with 77K miles. From reviewing your forum, it sounds like there is a lot of issues with the coooling system and coils on these cars. Are the issues with the gen 1, gen 2, or does it even matter what generation that have the same issues? I can do the basic plugs, coils, and other maintenance, but I'm not keen of doing a lot of maintenance and repairs. Thanks for the advice.

It depends on what you mean by a lot.
The 2006 is the most reliable of the bunch, but it is still subject to COP (coil) failure and plastic cooling system parts.

You can expect to get from 60K to 100K miles out of each set of COPs. There are eight of them and they generally cost less than $50 each. You have to change the plugs at the same time. If you DIY, then it should be less than $400 every 60-100K miles. That doesn't seem too bad.

The cooling system is good for about 100K miles or five years. As a DIY, that's about $500 or so (non DIY, expect about $1000). Again, that's every five years or so.

Unfortunately, I don't think that this is an uncommon problem for most non-econobox cars. My BMW has exactly the same plastic cooling system problems just about as often. Unlike the LS, the BMW will actually ruin the engine if you let it run hot. The LS at least protects itself.

If you want a car that you won't have to do anything but oil changes to, buy something new and trade every two or three years.

Thanks for the quick reply. Plugs and hoses are no big deal to me, just not a fan of having to do chain tensioners and replacing valve cover gaskets. Is there a thread on here regarding any TSB's that I can ask the dealer to look for so I can check if they were done.

The chain tensioners is a non-issue with gen II. Some will say it still is, but i have not seen a single thread on it since i joined LVC.

But the transmission is a concern, as well as the cooling system. I have done the coils once on my 06 since ive owned it. My transmission is shifting weird lately, so that may be next. But other than replacing the cooling system, everything else has been regular maintenance.

Main things i would do upon purchase are replace all fluids (including diff and tranny if you can afford it), coils, plugs, brakes, belt and pulleys (both idler and tensioner) and battery.

Valve cover gaskets do need to be done sometimes....the VCT solenoid has a gasket that will let some oil leak. Doesnt drop the oil level enough between changes to be an issue but just doesnt look right in a clean engine bay.

Be aware that Ford no longer makes some repair items.

Thanks for the quick reply. Plugs and hoses are no big deal to me, just not a fan of having to do chain tensioners and replacing valve cover gaskets. Is there a thread on here regarding any TSB's that I can ask the dealer to look for so I can check if they were done.

List of TSBs for 06 LS (as of 6/2011)

Technical Service Bulletins
- US (English)

The Technical Service Bulletins (TSB's) listed here may NOT apply to the vehicle you are working on. You MUST run OASIS with a specific VIN and Symptom Code to determine if it applies. If OASIS does not return the TSB, then it does NOT apply.

09-12-12
5R55S/5R55N/5R55W TRANSMISSIONS - SHIFT CONCERNS, LOSS OF 2ND, 3RD AND 5TH GEAR, INCORRECT RATIO DTC'S - PROCEDURE TO INSPECT AND REPAIR SERVO PIN BORE WEAR
08-16-5
3.9L ACCESSORY DRIVE BELT SNAP NOISE IN FREEZING TEMPERATURES
07-12-3
RCM FAULT REPORTING USING DTCS AND BIT-MAPPED PARAMETER IDENTIFIERS (PIDS) - SERVICE TIPS
07-5-8
BATTERY SERVICE - OPERATION OF BATTERY EYE - CHARGING SERVICE TIPS
07-4-3
LEATHER-WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL - LEATHER COMING LOOSE
07-1-7
MERCON® ATF REPLACED BY MERCON® V AS A SERVICE FLUID FOR SOME POWER STEERING SYSTEMS
06-25-15
ALUMINUM BODY PANELS - CORROSION - SERVICE TIP
06-25-13
PARKING AID SYSTEM INOPERATIVE - DTC C1983
06-23-17
3.9L V8 UNUSUAL ENGINE NOISE - SPARK KNOCK / TICKING NOISE UNDER ACCELERATION
06-21-19
HEATER CORE LEAKAGE AND ELECTROLYSIS (INFORMATION ONLY)
06-21-7
AUDIO / NAVIGATION SERVICE AND ORDERING PROCEDURES
06-18-16
IDENTIFYING THE CORRECT REPLACEMENT HEAD GASKET FOR CERTAIN REMANUFACTURED ENGINES - SERVICE TIP
06-15-8
KEYPAD DIAGNOSTICS - DEALER INSTALLED ACCESSORY
06-10-5
5R55S - TRANSMISSION FLUID LEAK
05-22-9
BATTERY DRAIN DIAGNOSIS - SERVICE TIPS
05-22-8
WDS COP KIT DIAGNOSTIC TIPS - COIL ON PLUG (COP) IGNITION SYSTEMS - ENGINE MISFIRE OR ROUGH RUNNING
05-18-7
WIRING - SOLDERING AND CRIMPING REPAIRS - SERVICE TIPS
05-16-11
SAFETY BELT RETRACTION SPEED
05-16-8
"CANADA ONLY" - MAP ZOOM - NAVIGATION SYSTEM WILL NOT ZOOM CLOSER THAN A 16 MILE SCALE (32 KM)
05-9-3
INTERIOR PLASTIC TRIM - PAINT-TO-MATCH AND REPAIR - INTERIOR SPRAY PAINT AND ADHESION PROMOTER USAGE INSTRUCTIONS

Be aware that Ford no longer makes some repair items.

Off the top of my head: Oil pump, vacuum hose (booster -> intake), steering shaft u-joint (can't recall the proper term for this).

steering intermediate shaft.

Sadly, it's an ever growing list.

Why?

I mean, Ive been taught that Manufacturers make their money off parts. If these parts fail, and people keep[ buying them, why not keep making them and cash in? Makes no sense to me.

Why?

I mean, Ive been taught that Manufacturers make their money off parts. If these parts fail, and people keep[ buying them, why not keep making them and cash in? Makes no sense to me.

They didn't make very many of the LS, and the parts they have discontinued so far were not shared with any other cars, and probably have a very low failure rate. I suspect that they don't sell enough of them to justify keeping the production tooling to make them, and the space to store them.

On the other hand, the 2002 BWM that I have, they made basically the same model for six or so years and it shared mostly the same parts with other models. They sold so many of them that there is no problem getting almost any part from BMW (if you like being ripped off) or from several aftermarket sources.

That said, the LS is a much better car (to me).

Why?

Maybe it's because Ford sells more Mustangs in a year than the TOTAL 6 (1/2) year LS production run.

Consumer reports maintains that the LS has average reliability in class. Like mentioned before plan on a set of coils and plugs, as well as a cooling system repair if not done already. By 06 model year Ford worked out many of the common issues that plagued earlier years.

The transmission in my 06 ate its self at 81k miles..... Didn't really have many issues with the coils or VCG, but i did have cooling system issues with the car... The engine cooling fan stayed on high as soon as the car got to normal running temp... O, and i replaced the motor mounts. But any like any high end car, Its gonna have specific things go wrong from time to time.

The most common LS issues are easy enough for a competent DIYer to handle. My '03 has been good but not perfect reliability wise. I've handled everything but trans repairs at home.

The coils are blamed too much for misfires. Most of the time it's a bad boot on the coil and an arc-tracked spark plug. AC Delco makes the boots for about $6 each. Always change the plug when you change the boot or coil.

...The coils are blamed too much for misfires. Most of the time it's a bad boot on the coil and an arc-tracked spark plug. AC Delco makes the boots for about $6 each. Always change the plug when you change the boot or coil.

Maybe in your case. For all of my failures this has not been the case. Of course, I do put a good coating of dielectric grease when I change mine.

Members online

No members online now.
Back