Advice? V6 pulleys messing around

biohazard_99

LVC Member
Reaction score
It's taking forever for my new motor to arrive so I playing around with the pulleys and accessories.

I've been wanting to remove the hydraulic fan and a.c. system, I'm way up north and it is a 5 sp, both the a.c. and fan system seems to have tons of serious leaks anyway.

I noticed you can flip flop the p.s. pump and fan pump pretty easily from side to side of the motor. They actually look identical besides the size of the pulleys.

Long story a little bit shorter, I removed a few things and managed to get the belt on with out hanging up anywhere, without a.c. and a fan.

Not saying it works. If the spring loaded tensioner was internally reversed it might.

Also, all the stress would be on one side of the motor. And the first thing in the rotational mass of the belt would be the idler pulley.

Maybe fabricate a tensioner, but where would I mount it, that could possibly help take stress of the timing chain cover. any ideas?

Am I over analyzing and every thing would hold up fine, just figure out where to put a tensioner. IMG_20160130_024319.jpg

IMG_20160130_024319.jpg

I tried taurus camshaft for water pump on the rear, won't work. Period. So i shaved the mounting tabs of the spring loaded tensioner, so I can rotate it manually. Apply attention with a pry bar then tighten, like the older tensioner setups on a lot of vehicles.

I'm considering either using slightly larger pulleys(the ones painted with white) or enlarging the idler pulley and using a idler pulley on a custom swing arm for the tensioner. The tensioner hardly clears the crank, but it does. A larger pulley would "push" the tensioner arm away from the crank a little more, but a custom tensioner would completely CLear it.

All in all this could work, my motor is removed so not hard to reroute the p.s. lines to the oppositeSide for the new p.s. pump location.

Using different pulleys and possibly tensioner would allow me to find a belt a lot easier, there isn't much adjustment to it to take out slack.

IMG_20160130_155445.jpg

IMG_20160130_155445.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back