Aftermarket Amp Question

Vivid LS

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of these Memphis subs and need to get an amp. What size amp would be best for this. IT says 200/400peak so what wattage should I go with. I would prefer Memphis if possible.

MClass 12" Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer
The MClass Subwoofer takes sound quality to the next level. Ideally suited for small, sealed boxes, the MClass subwoofer will generate accurate, deep bass, while remaining flexible enough to work in a variety of enclosures.

Model: 15-MC124D

Fewer details

Product Description
In either a sealed or ported enclosure, the MClass subwoofer will perform well beyond your expectations.

Specification Summary
RMS/Peak (W) 200/400
Sensitivity (dB) 88
Magnet Size (Oz) 50
Mounting Depth (in) 5.5

Thanks in advance

a kicker 400.1 would be a good bet. That's if they are dual voice coil 4 ohm subs. It just says they are dvc. If they are 4 ohms then the kicker wil work great run it at a 1 ohm load and they will work perfect, but if they are 2 ohms then you will have to find something running 400 watts at 2 ohms but i cant think of anything off the top of my head.

nah go with the memphis 1100d or the MTX 1501d i am running 2 JL 12W3V2D4 on a memphis Power Reference 300.2 i have them running parallel into 1 channel. The pic on the side u see my 2 12 memphis 15-MC124D they actually have a deeper bass than my JL's i am keeping those for when i find a Mark8 i like. or can afford lol. those will probably have a 1 channel MTX 1501D or the memphis Mono class D amp the biggest 1 made I had them on the Power Reference for about a week loved it. But decided to put the JL's in my M7 and the Memphis will be in the M8 ... not knocking the kicker but for some reason they dont put out what the specs say on the sheet just as the fosgate say there specs and its not even what they claim it to be. even when you do the diagram setups..

i don' tbelieve you're correct on that, nothing against your opinion, but i'm running a kicker kx1200.1 rated at 1200 watts at 1 ohm and it's putting out close to 1400 watts on the factory alternator. kicker amps put out more then what they advertise. And i would stay away from mtx amps, they are over rated, i dont know much about memphis so i can't say either way, but for i think 250 bucks with a warranty i would say go kicker.

u should decide on the amp.. the only thing u really need to know is this..

the RMS = to the amt of power a sub can constantly push.. u never want to take a speaker to its MAx.. well not never.. but u try not too..

so.. ur RMS is 200.. and u have two subs.. 200+200 = 400.. that kicker 400.1 would be fine.. u can even get a 500 watt amp if u like and jus tune it perfectly... i believe memphis has a mono D class amp thats like 500.1 and should be fine..

jus shop around.. once u knoe how much power ur lookin for.. u should be fine..

ur not gonna bass too hard though.. it's only 200 watt RMS.. remember that.. dont expect too much from those subs.. and u should be fine

didnt notice u spoke about kicker above.. i got a kicker 1250.1 (the new SX series).. everything is digital on the thing.. pretty cool.. anywys..

i have a capacitor and a yellow top battery.. but my alternator is stock and its going ood.. with the HIDs and all the other stuff I have on it.. i have two kicker L7 12's and its going good.. no problem with the alternator.. time to leave work.. i'll finish this later

ok i just got finished reading about 50 comments about the kicker digital series amps ok ok i am sold these are top japanese prefab folks and european sites as well that are hard on amps on let me not forget MTX is 1 of there top rated amps with kicker, JL, and memphis plus a host of others

i dont know much about memphis, but kicker makes great amps, imo.

Bangin, I have hte kx1200.1 like i said and i have a facotry alt, i'm gonna get a cap this week and i have an indash screen, which i think you have too, and without hte cap the lights dim alot. A cap really doesn't help your system in actuality it hurts it, the best thing to do is replace the laternator, but the ls has a special alternator that only irraggi i belive builds and i think its like 718 bucks. For that i'll just keep blowing the facotry alternator and paying 100 bucks to replace it.

Have u 2 ever though of running a heavy gage wire to an extra battery that actually helps both the stock alt. and 1st battery and lessens the drains from them both.

i've thought about it, but i have no idea how to do it. If i have some extra time i might think about doing it, but right now i have no idea how to do that. Is it complicated?

I run two batteries in my truck, one for the truck and one for all my ACCs. One thing you have to be careful with is one battery going bad and then draining the other. There is a product called an isolater that will keep this from happening. I don't use one, but I think it would be a wise investment. Also I think MTX has just about the Stoutest amps. I had a buddy whose pistol went of and shot a hole through his and still worked. Also I know from personal experience they take a beating and lots of heat to mess them up. Just make sure you buy the good stuff and not the road thunder series.

"A cap really doesn't help your system in actuality it hurts it"

I found this quote interesting. Please explain how you came to this conclusion.

yeah i know about those road thunders my cuz has 1 and the damn thing rocks but gets very hot and shuts off. But there are several people here where i live who have 2 of those optimum batteries in there car running those pheonix gold amp wire kits between them both. and doing just fine with there charge ups on each..

Members online

Back