air bags

linclov

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My front air bags are shot and the car rides like thump thump thump. I know I have to get new ones but I am moving to another town and was wondering if there is a quick fix to get front end up till I move. Any help would be appreciated, thanx

There is, but if the bags won't hold air it's not gonna work.

If they don't come up because the compressor doesn't run, get the car to a gas station and use the compressed air machine, shut the car off then turn it to the "on" position so the suspension computer opens the solenoids and fill the bags through the schrader valve (looks like a tire valve stem) that's on the compressor.

The compressor works fine ,the rear pumps up great, just need to get the front up so I can drive it to where I am moving to. I live in the great white north and the roads are brutal here

Sounds like the bags may be shot then if they don't air up. You can always try to "help" the front bags a bit by pulling up on the bumper as it tried to fill..

You need at least 125 psi to lift the front and you need a good amount of volume. You therefore need an air compressor that has a large tank and can put out that pressure. If the front springs are really shot, there is no saving them. If they have small leaks, then the front should raise. It sounds like you have really bad front springs, or, more likely, a shot compressor. I say this because you only need 80 psi to lift the rear. If you have a weak compressor, the rear will level, but not the front. Replace the compressor and see if the front lifts. If it does, you might be able to use some Tire Slime injected with a thin straw to the bottom of the air spring to temporarily seal it until you can replace it. Honestly though, if you go to the trouble of doing this, you are one clip away from replacing the thing. Springs take about an hour per side for first timers and can be done in the driveway with hand tools. Remember to lube the O rings with silicone and do not get Slime on anything else.

It's really easy to change bags. After you figure out how the clips works...

But seriously, it's super simple. If you wanna retain the air spings. Your other option it to check with the LVC vendors on either a front kit or a 4 wheel kit to convert it to springs.

I've been very happy with mine, a little stiffer than stock but that's not a problem, either.

I have a strutmasters front coil conversion for sale if your interested. 100 plus shipping.

Same Problem......

ND4SPDLSC said:
You need at least 125 psi to lift the front and you need a good amount of volume. You therefore need an air compressor that has a large tank and can put out that pressure. If the front springs are really shot, there is no saving them. If they have small leaks, then the front should raise. It sounds like you have really bad front springs, or, more likely, a shot compressor. I say this because you only need 80 psi to lift the rear. If you have a weak compressor, the rear will level, but not the front. Replace the compressor and see if the front lifts. If it does, you might be able to use some Tire Slime injected with a thin straw to the bottom of the air spring to temporarily seal it until you can replace it. Honestly though, if you go to the trouble of doing this, you are one clip away from replacing the thing. Springs take about an hour per side for first timers and can be done in the driveway with hand tools. Remember to lube the O rings with silicone and do not get Slime on anything else.

I just had my Mark VII to the Ford dealer and had the system diagnosed. They said all that's wrong with it is that the front air bags have small cracks in them. He could hear one of them leaking. Will SLIME temporarily fix that?They want $ 1600 to fix it.
My friends brother had the same problem and said that he used SLIME and it worked fine. I just can't figure out where to put it in. SLIME through a small tube to the bottom of the springs?. Where are they? He told me that you take the tube off the top of the bag and squirt it in there. Where is the tube or valve?

Thanks !!!!!

Get new air springs from american air on the vendors section. I think it's american air.

The arnott and strutmasters air springs are the bill blass type, the bagmasters are reman. ford springs, so you will still have a firmer ride than the other bags.

My front air bags are shot and the car rides like thump thump thump. I know I have to get new ones but I am moving to another town and was wondering if there is a quick fix to get front end up till I move. Any help would be appreciated, thanx

Sorry to say this but it's sort of like having a flat tire that cannot be plugged.

Do NOT attempt this ALONE. Depending on where you're at, there's probably a Mark VII owner that would help you in a heartbeat.

If you're in Philadelphia, I'll show you in my heated garage for the cost of a Wawa hoagie.

A NOVICE can do it in under two hours with NO special tools.

The toughest part is removing the wheels.

Bag swap

Greetings fellow Canuck! Dude, change out the bags yourself, it's super easy. Hell, with the winter we've been having I could have done it for you OUTSIDE today. I've replaced both front and rear with used ones...still going strong. I have a spare set of fronts kicking around...just make sure you put some new o-rings on those solenoids, also cheap and easy. You don't even need to turn a darn wrench to change the front bags. GET 'ER DONE, forget the ford dealer...those guys are useless fon anything older than 5 years.

Members online

Back