Air leak noise in dash, wont air up bags

crownvicjim

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
i have put in a lot of hours trying to figure out why my mark is slammed and wont air up. Everything is working proplerly. After checking all things air ride, i finally pulled the compressor to see if it was weak. I took off the dryer, let the compressor kick in and used another air compressor and nozzle to feed air into the dryer and try to get it off the ground like that. after 60 seconds, the check air ride came on and shut off the compressor. With no noise now, i could hear air escaping from what sounded like underneath the passenger floorboard. I couldnt feel where this air is coming from underneath the car and it sounded like it was in between the dash and firewall. Is there any line that runs there? Im so frustrated with this thing, any help is very appreciated. Im at my wits end. Thanks. The solenoid is in all the way and its not the front passenger bag.

I seriously hate asking air ride questions. Wish i didnt have to.

Last edited:
If you pull out the P/S plastic inner fender well, you will see air lines routed to the back. I am pretty sure that there is a air line or 2 routed along the fuel filter housing then to the rear.

Yep I saw them and it doesn't seem to be them. I will have to look at it a little better tomorrow. But I couldn't feel anything from them tonight. And it sounds like its coming from behind the glove box from inside and behind the firewall from outside the car. Just to,make sure, there are no air suspension components or lines whatsoever in there, right?I love the air ride and am not switching over but I might shoot it. I will look at it better tomorrow.

Yep I saw them and it doesn't seem to be them. I will have to look at it a little better tomorrow. But I couldn't feel anything from them tonight. And it sounds like its coming from behind the glove box from inside and behind the firewall from outside the car. Just to,make sure, there are no air suspension components or lines whatsoever in there, right?I love the air ride and am not switching over but I might shoot it. I will look at it better tomorrow.

Passenger side bag / strut maybe. They are known to be one of the first to go.

There is no air lines to bags inside of passenger compartment of car. The only thing behind dash that is air oriented is the a/c and heater vac lines.

With the air ride warning light coming on after 60 seconds is most likely a serious air leak to prohibit air up. I would recheck all airlines from compressor to each wheel closest to compressor then work back to farthest. There has to be a leak and if there is then it will most noticeable at startup of compressor.

Do a KOEO test from the P/S fender well outlet, then witness the compressor coming on then each airbag then solenoids and then sensor. The car will be off and ignition on during this test and may give you a better listening ear since no motor running. And it could help identify which airbag or solenoid is bad, or at least a air line seeping. That is wht the KOEO test port is for to help identify the problem. If you need a OBD test scanner to hook up to it I can mail you mine as long as I get it back.

Found the problem!!
It was an air line. must have been rubbing where it made its bend around all them relays on the passenger side. Bought a compression fitting and it works as good as new! Thanks R.A. for the offer. Too cool of you. Glad it didnt come to that.

Things some people should know.

Its CAN be the air lines!

An easy way to check the air lines(if you can hear the leak) is to unhook your dryer from the a.c. and blow compressed air thru the port on the dryer. the solenoids will be closed or should be, so if you hear air, you have an air line leak.

A koeo test will not help with an air line leak because the dryer sends air to all the bags at the same time. No way this will help you narrow that down.

THERE ARE AIR LINES BEHIND THE DASH!

the air lines for the rear run thru the firewall on the passenger side then run below the carpet and trim the lenght of the car until they go under the back seat, then run into the trunk, thru the floor, and into the rear bags. :eek:

Im not an expert nor will i pretend to be, But if you got a air suspension problem or question, i will try to help you out since i got to learn this system the hard way.

Found the problem!!
Thanks R.A. for the offer. Too cool of you. Glad it didnt come to that.

Things some people should know.

Its CAN be the air lines!

An easy way to check the air lines(if you can hear the leak) is to unhook your dryer from the a.c. and blow compressed air thru the port on the dryer. the solenoids will be closed or should be, so if you hear air, you have an air line leak.

THERE ARE AIR LINES BEHIND THE DASH!

the air lines for the rear run thru the firewall on the passenger side then run below the carpet and trim the lenght of the car until they go under the back seat, then run into the trunk, thru the floor, and into the rear bags. :eek:

Glad it is fixed.

No problem, anytime.

Glad to know how those air lines run to the rear. I thought they ran the under belly to the rear. Guess it is safer to avoid leaks to keep them away from road debris and in the inside away from all that.

I figured by doing a KOEO test without the car running it would help you hear the air leak better than car running and it would help isolate where by the KOEO testing one corner at a time as it did for me when I had to do it to help to diagnos my issue a month ago.

Glad it is fixed.

I figured by doing a KOEO test without the car running it would help you hear the air leak better than car running and it would help isolate where by the KOEO testing one corner at a time as it did for me when I had to do it to help to diagnos my issue a month ago.

And thats what i thought too. It does isolate the bags, but all the air lines are going to be pressurized eveny in this test. If you open only one solenoid, it will only air that bag up or vent that bag, but if its a line(and it dont matter which one) and the leak is big enough, your cars going to try to air it up but instead, as soon as the solenoids open, the air comes rushing out wherever the line break is. And with the KOEO test, its very hard to hear any air leak with the compressor running.(if you can hear it). I think using another compressor(fill up compressor, then shut it off so you have no noise) and pushing air thru the dryer vent works good because you have no car compressor noise and a larger volume of air going thru so you should hear the leak easier than with the cars compressor running. Is the KOEO going to help diagnose most air ride problems? For sure.

Members online

No members online now.
Back