Alternator how to, steps and pics? help

Aviation

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I think my alternator is going out so i was going to order one online, and attempt to do it myself with the help of a friend depending on the difficulty, where it is...etc

Anyone have pics of the area and steps or a guide that makes this easy to get done? or should this just be taken into the shop?

Trying to save money, figured i could order one online and get it done, the cheapest i found new was 120.00, that seem right guys?

Anyway, any help would be appreciated...Thanks!

ill take it to the shop if needed, but was just trying to figure out if it was easy enough to do myself, rather save the cash, those labor rates can be killer! probably charge me 300 to put it in! lol

My interior lights are acting funny, is that a problem related to the alternator?

if i have a front light on, and turn the back on...it turns the front off.

all of them wont turn on at the same time, and a few other odd little things like that. i hope the new alternator fixes that

oh. i guess its possibly the wiring., it sat for a bit so mice were in it. I was hoping when i put the alternator in, the lights would work fine...but well see. Took the online store i ordered it from 7 days to ship it, and of course its coming from the other coast. Slow idiots!

My experience. I didnt have Quick's writeup at the time, so tried it blindly myself a few years back. If I recall, one or two of those bolts can be tricky to get to. I actually got them all out, but the alternator still wouldnt budge. Turned out the bushing sleeves needed to be slightly pushed back with a flathead? I actually ended up driving the car with NO alternator bolts in place to the dealership. They finished the job for about $275.

6 months later that Duralast alternator went out, and Pepboys charged me $90 labor total for a swap. (labor only).

Not a hard job, but my days of laying on my back under the car reaching up in tight places...are ove.r

My experience. I didnt have Quick's writeup at the time, so tried it blindly myself a few years back. If I recall, one or two of those bolts can be tricky to get to. I actually got them all out, but the alternator still wouldnt budge. Turned out the bushing sleeves needed to be slightly pushed back with a flathead? I actually ended up driving the car with NO alternator bolts in place to the dealership. They finished the job for about $275.

6 months later that Duralast alternator went out, and Pepboys charged me $90 labor total for a swap. (labor only).

Not a hard job, but my days of laying on my back under the car reaching up in tight places...are ove.r

ha, im going to be clearing the garage out to pull her inside and put a space heater out there so it aint so cold to work on!

im not too good with it myself, my friend will be doing most of it...gonna put it in tomm, hope all goes well!

I havent really looked at my engine much, but on both of my explorers when I put high output alt's on, it was like this:

1-loosen belt tensioner, slide belt off
2-unplug 1 clip, and unbolt the main power wire off the top/back of the alt
3-take the 3 bolts out of the top
4-put new one in, and reverse the steps.

I had it done in all of about 20 minutes.

As for the lights, thats guaranteed not the alternator, that is an electrical problem, the only thing you would really be able to notice with your alternator, is if your lights are dimming and whatnot.

doing it now, got everything but the electrical plug out, it wont come out

how the hell do you get the plug to come out? u just push in the side and pull out? hard to get pliers in there and it feels like its never coming off!

help

almost got the new one in finally, one bolt in place...

where is the tensioner pulley that has to be loosened or whatever to get the belt loose enough to drop down in place?

then how does it tighten back up? trying to figure it out now with my friend

did mine pretty much blind this summer. It wasn't too bad...except maneuvering the thing to get it back in. Just remember, always unplug the battery. I forgot I reattached it and zapped the :q:q:q:q out of myself. lol

Looks like some degree of difference depending on year. My '02 has the AC line (Covered with plastic braid) located in such a way as to interfere with the alt coming down after unbolting. Necessary to pull down against resistance of the braid-covered line. Use deep socket and a long extension to take off (and on) the top nut. Access from behind steering rack. With the engine on a stand it would take five minutes total. From under the car it takes about four hours in the pits at Maxton. Ask me how I know!!!
KS

Members online

No members online now.
Back