Another Double DIN Install

Rodewaryer

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
The factory skip-o-matic is gone, I've had this Kenwood DDX-7019 for a while trying to get around to the install and it's finally done. Added the interface module to keep the steering wheel controls as well. The panel as provided by LSKoncepts worked perfectly.......and I appreciate the advice I got here from others that the double DIN unit install wouldn't be a problem.

cnv0876bq1.jpg

CD playing.....

cnv0877ix3.jpg

DVD playing.....

cnv0878nl0.jpg

I have the previous version DDX-7017 in my SVT Focus so the new one is pretty familiar, it has some worthy features the other one didn't.

Looks good. Can the display color be changed to match the green of the dash illumination?

very nice install I can't wait to put in my aviv d3 its going to wait till the spring though...

Nice unit. What do you have plugged into your cig lighter? That's not the "interface module" you spoke of is it? I can't imagine you would use an IR device for this quality install.
I know mine is hard wired into the back of my unit (Alpine W200).

Nice unit. What do you have plugged into your cig lighter? That's not the "interface module" you spoke of is it? I can't imagine you would use an IR device for this quality install.
I know mine is hard wired into the back of my unit (Alpine W200).

Is that unit you spoke of an older version of the W205? Double DIN? If so, can you throw up a pic of it. I'm considering going with this.

Looks good, but I have to say it... the carpet on the dash... BLAH!!!

I was going to mention the dash carpet..then I saw he's in Phoenix..and can only imagine what 120 degree blazing sun can potentially do to a dash?

I guess? Maybe?

I was going to mention the dash carpet..then I saw he's in Phoenix..and can only imagine what 120 degree blazing sun can potentially do to a dash?

I guess? Maybe?

... I think... that's what armor all and 303 protectant is for. But yeah, I guess carpet will block the UV and UVA light too....

Is that unit you spoke of an older version of the W205? Double DIN? If so, can you throw up a pic of it. I'm considering going with this.

Yeah the W200 was the first double DIN from Alpine. I did not want to go with a single DIN with the flip out screen cause it blocked the vents (my boy back in college had one) and required a 'brain' unit to play DVD's.
There are several differences in the two units (W200 vs W205). The major one is the integrated Blackbird nav dock. But associated with this is the screen. The screen on the W200 does not pivot all the way down (ie 90º from vertical) where the W205 does. This may interfere with the gear shift if the car is in park (don't know for sure cause I have not taken measurements).

Here's a pic of the W200 in my car. Check my photo gallery for more.
dash.jpg

Here you can see what I speak of regarding the W205.
ALPINE_PA_IVA_W205-back.jpg

dash.jpg

ALPINE_PA_IVA_W205-back.jpg

N8... thanks!!! I think part of my tax returns will be buying a 205. I'm thinking it will be okay for the gear shifter; I'll measure first. Are you happy with your 200?

Before I install it in my LS, I may do a test-fit in my truck and see if I could make it work in my truck as well.

What converter did you use to make your wheel controls work with the alpine?

How does the SWI-X work out?

I have one mated to my kenwood DDX-6019 and it drives me nuts. When i "tap" the volume up button it sometimes seems unresponsive, but then when I hold it in the volume will raise very loud very fast!!! The same thing happens with volume down.

I think it is just a problem with the SWI-X combined with the Kenwood unit. I've reprogrammed the SWI-X about 5 times and not had any improvement. Is this similar with the DDX-7019?

To answer a few questions, especially those with genuine curiosity:

Referring to the units lighting color able to be changed to match dash lights? Since it's basically a color monitor I wouldn't imagine it would be possible to go monochromatic....but I hadn't honestly checked that out.

Lighter is the power source for my Valentine 1 and remote display not the interface unit. I don't smoke and don't have a problem using the power source, as well, a power source. It could be a little cleaner and hardwired I suppose, I didn't feel the need.

The interface unit does turn up the volume oddly, takes getting used to as you mentioned. The select, media and mute (attenuate) work perfectly, the volume control isn't the only audio control on the wheel and I figure it beats the controls not working at all.

Dash mat (not carpet, not a rag, not a rug.....), the sun in Arizona is relentless (as someone pointed out, thank you) and it's way better for the dash than covering it over and over with liquid treatments. It is carefully clipped to the vents, not by adhesive velcro tabs either.

In reference to the floor mats, the light colored factory mats couldn't take more than one or two trips in the car before they looked like hell. The coco mats weather traffic excellently and they contain all the colors of the cars interior. I honestly don't get the issue here other than someone looking for an issue for the bandwagon mob to join in on.

I just chose to do my car my way and not what a bloody committee says is popular. Didn't even do that as an adolescent. I don't talk smack about other peoples cars, if it isn't to my liking I got better things to do with my time than rag on a guy because his taste isn't the same as mine.

To those with compliments, thank you very much!

The pac is working as intended. Tapping the volume usually wont get an effect. You have to hold the button slightly longer than you would without the Pac, because now the signal has to go through a new interface (pac) vs directly to the head unit.

As far as the color of the monitor, I didnt mean the LCD screen itself, but the buttons. On most aftermarket head units, there is an option to change the illumination of the buttons to (as an example) BMW Orange, VW Blue, or Lincoln LS green, so that when the buttons illuminate, they match the factory dash look.

N8... thanks!!! I think part of my tax returns will be buying a 205. I'm thinking it will be okay for the gear shifter; I'll measure first. Are you happy with your 200?

Before I install it in my LS, I may do a test-fit in my truck and see if I could make it work in my truck as well.

What converter did you use to make your wheel controls work with the alpine?

Now that I look at it I dont think you will have an interferance problem with the W205 and the gear shift.

Overall I am happy with my W200. It has massive capabilities but requires additional units to use them (ie navigation, xm radio, HD radio, sound processor, etc). The ipod control is awesome (only required a $30 cable)!

pac-swi is whats needed for the steering wheel controls.

Close.... I use the PAC-SWI-ALP which is specific to Alpine head units. You will also want the PAC-TR7 which is a trigger switch that allows you to watch DVD's while driving (which is awesome and illegal BTW).

Retaining the steering wheel controls took some getting used to. One complaint about that... the track up/down will either change CD tracks or alternate between preset radio stations, but not both. It is in the programing of the steering wheel interface unit (it will allow 11 control inputs with the Alpine unit but not multiple controls with the same button).

Ahh. Gotcha. On the Pioneer AVIC, no additional converter is needed for the video/full navigation feature in motion bypass. You move the mute wire up one slot in the avic harness, then ground the mute wire. Instant bypass.

Ahh. Gotcha. On the Pioneer AVIC, no additional converter is needed for the video/full navigation feature in motion bypass. You move the mute wire up one slot in the avic harness, then ground the mute wire. Instant bypass.

Interesting.... I'm not sure if something like this will work with the Alpine. I knew the TR7 would work so I got it off ebay (around $50).

If I ever replace the Alpine I will get a double DIN with built-in navigation!!

Looks pretty good!! I have mine lying around I need to buy the faceplate when I get some extra $$$ so maybe by february ill have it installed...

As far as the color of the monitor, I didnt mean the LCD screen itself, but the buttons. On most aftermarket head units, there is an option to change the illumination of the buttons to (as an example) BMW Orange, VW Blue, or Lincoln LS green, so that when the buttons illuminate, they match the factory dash look.

Good explanation on the PAC unit, that's exactly what it feels like, a delay because of the new middle man so to speak.

I understand you now on the 'color' thing. I'd bet that it has that feature, I just haven't looked for it yet, still mostly figuring out basic functions etc as it's only been installed for a week.

Members online

No members online now.
Back