Another Double DIN Install

To answer a few questions, especially those with genuine curiosity:

Referring to the units lighting color able to be changed to match dash lights? Since it's basically a color monitor I wouldn't imagine it would be possible to go monochromatic....but I hadn't honestly checked that out.

Lighter is the power source for my Valentine 1 and remote display not the interface unit. I don't smoke and don't have a problem using the power source, as well, a power source. It could be a little cleaner and hardwired I suppose, I didn't feel the need.

The interface unit does turn up the volume oddly, takes getting used to as you mentioned. The select, media and mute (attenuate) work perfectly, the volume control isn't the only audio control on the wheel and I figure it beats the controls not working at all.

Dash mat (not carpet, not a rag, not a rug.....), the sun in Arizona is relentless (as someone pointed out, thank you) and it's way better for the dash than covering it over and over with liquid treatments. It is carefully clipped to the vents, not by adhesive velcro tabs either.

In reference to the floor mats, the light colored factory mats couldn't take more than one or two trips in the car before they looked like hell. The coco mats weather traffic excellently and they contain all the colors of the cars interior. I honestly don't get the issue here other than someone looking for an issue for the bandwagon mob to join in on.

I just chose to do my car my way and not what a bloody committee says is popular. Didn't even do that as an adolescent. I don't talk smack about other peoples cars, if it isn't to my liking I got better things to do with my time than rag on a guy because his taste isn't the same as mine.

To those with compliments, thank you very much!

No insults to you car intended... I was just ruffling some feathers! I understand the why's when it comes to dashmats and floormats!

btw... what is your aviator? Is that an MG?

Now that I look at it I dont think you will have an interferance problem with the W205 and the gear shift.

Overall I am happy with my W200. It has massive capabilities but requires additional units to use them (ie navigation, xm radio, HD radio, sound processor, etc). The ipod control is awesome (only required a $30 cable)!

Close.... I use the PAC-SWI-ALP which is specific to Alpine head units. You will also want the PAC-TR7 which is a trigger switch that allows you to watch DVD's while driving (which is awesome and illegal BTW).

Retaining the steering wheel controls took some getting used to. One complaint about that... the track up/down will either change CD tracks or alternate between preset radio stations, but not both. It is in the programing of the steering wheel interface unit (it will allow 11 control inputs with the Alpine unit but not multiple controls with the same button).

Unfortunate to hear about the track up-down button!!! That converter is really about the only choice isn't it?

I guess I'll post this question in here since it seems to be relevant. After you install the DDIN are you limited to one CD at a time? or are there DDIn's with changers in them, or can you hook the changers up to the DDIN's. I havn screwed with stereos in a few years and i feel pretty stupid going ahead with finding a DDIN and not being able to change cd's is a huge damper in things.

I guess I'll post this question in here since it seems to be relevant. After you install the DDIN are you limited to one CD at a time? or are there DDIn's with changers in them, or can you hook the changers up to the DDIN's. I havn screwed with stereos in a few years and i feel pretty stupid going ahead with finding a DDIN and not being able to change cd's is a huge damper in things.

1 word IPOD. I havent touched a CD in over a year now. Almost all radios now have some IPOD hookup to them.

I'll speak to the Kenwood, I don't know the details about the Alpine the Gent earlier has been referring to. The Kenwood takes one at a time, but will download files through the USB connector and even though I haven't joined this century, (oops) it will play MP3's by a means I have yet to try, and of course as someone mentioned, there is an iPod feature as well.

"btw... what is your aviator? Is that an MG?"

That is my old buddy, a '66 Sunbeam Alpine, been back to England twice with me over the years. It's currently on jack stands in the garage, awaiting my attentions for a SECOND complete restoration (well, paint, interior and engine at least). I went completely through that car once already and doing it a second time is pretty depressing at this point. I have 3 vehicles besides that to maintain so it's on hold......

That is my old buddy, a '66 Sunbeam Alpine, been back to England twice with me over the years. It's currently on jack stands in the garage, awaiting my attentions for a SECOND complete restoration (well, paint, interior and engine at least). I went completely through that car once already and doing it a second time is pretty depressing at this point. I have 3 vehicles besides that to maintain so it's on hold......

Those little 2 seater cars all look so similar to me... MG, Triumph, 60's sunbeam; in my mind, they are all the perfect example of British sports-cars of yesteryear; very small, well handled and of decent enough power.

Second restoration... sorry to hear that!

Triumph TR7 used to be my favorite in the 70's.

"Triumph TR-7..the Shape of things to come".

Lol..Not exactly..

Members online

No members online now.
Back