Another Spark Plug/Maintenance Thread

lsondubz

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Well I just got my 2000 V8 LS a couple weeks ago, It has 70k on it and runs great. The only problem I have is sometimes when I am sitting with the a/c on the engine kinda gets rough for a sec...and I think since I just got it I am going to replace the spark plugs,fuel filter,flush the trans fluid. I got the pdf for changing the plugs, What I am wondering is, do I have to replace the valve cover gaskets when doing the plugs. I took off that decorative plastic cover and looked and saw those two small removable panels on each side of the motor, is that what I take off? What plugs would be good to put in as a replacement...please let me know what you guys recommend and any pointers.I also was told I should change the PCV Valve while Im in there....

Spark Plug Replacement

lsondubz said:
Well I just got my 2000 V8 LS a couple weeks ago, It has 70k on it and runs great. The only problem I have is sometimes when I am sitting with the a/c on the engine kinda gets rough for a sec...and I think since I just got it I am going to replace the spark plugs,fuel filter,flush the trans fluid. I got the pdf for changing the plugs, What I am wondering is, do I have to replace the valve cover gaskets when doing the plugs. I took off that decorative plastic cover and looked and saw those two small removable panels on each side of the motor, is that what I take off? What plugs would be good to put in as a replacement...please let me know what you guys recommend and any pointers.I also was told I should change the PCV Valve while Im in there....

Chances are with 70K miles on the car, one or more of the plugs and the coil on plug assemblies have been replaced due to earlier problems.. You should take it to a dealer and get them to search the service records by VIN number. This is an EXTREMELY complex automobile and requires exact diagnosis of problems. Also. . . the transmission is sealed and should only be serviced by the dealer. With 70K (if it has never been changed), I would recommend that you leave the transmission fluid alone. Often a change in fluid at this stage of the game can cause more problems that solutions. The Fuel Filter requires that you remove the driver's side front tire and then the plastic wheel skirt to get to the filter. If you don't know how to relieve the fuel pressure prior to replacement you could cause yourself harm.

So you say if they have changed the plugs/coil before to leave them alone and not change them...I just figured I might as well do it as normal maintenance. I wont do the tranny flush either I was told the same from a buddy of mine...

Members online

Back