Anybody ever changed their wiper motor gasket?

YdibuynLS

LVC Member
Reaction score
Its rained on my 04 LS V8 for days and sure enough the check engine lights on again another cop dying...I recall reading as part of a recall on the LS dealerships would replace the bad cops as well as the wiper moter seal...or gasket??? I would rather replace that where ever it is and save the touble and the cops.

It is not a recall it is an extended warranty and the part your referring to is a wiper motor bracket seal. Why pay for the parts and do the installation yourself when it is free under warranty when performed by an authorized Ford/ Lincoln dealer?

Well I took the 04 LS to Hasset ford in Massapequa NY for the cops to be replaced under warranty. They covered one but said another was physically damaged and wouldnt be covered, and that no water was present under the coil covers so the wiper motor seal also would not be covered. I dont even remember asking for a price quote but told them I would replace the other coil myself. Felt great as I drove off... So a month later one or more cops are missing again (maybe even the one they said is broken) and the check engine light doesnt even come on so dealer will probably not cover it. So back to square one!

Open cover.... pour in water, make sure all COPs get wet.... drive to dealer :D

Not Kidding....

Im so sick of dealing with the Dealership, just thought I would ask again if anyone had changed their own wiper motor seal. And if I do change the wiper motor seal will this help prevent further damage and failures of the coils???

Im so sick of dealing with the Dealership, just thought I would ask again if anyone had changed their own wiper motor seal. And if I do change the wiper motor seal will this help prevent further damage and failures of the coils???

Please be aware that coils often fail with no water or oil exposure. If there's no water getting under the coil covers, then there's no point to changing the seal.

A quote from Ford on LS coil failure...
"Some of the affected vehicles may experience an engine misfire condition predominantly due to internal breakdown in the coil and lack of adhesion between the epoxy and the coil housing material. These issues may cause the coil to operate at an insufficient voltage level, resulting in ignition coil misfires."

I've done it a couple of times on mine. It's real easy to do, it took me all of 20 minutes to do about a month ago. The basics are to remove both wiper arms (one nut each and just some wiggling to get them to come off). Then remove the driver's side cowl cover (a few of those plastic pop rivets, not sure what they're really called). The cowl cover is the black plastic piece that the wipers come out of between the hood and the windshield. Once you have it off then all you have to do is remove the old gasket and install the new one. The seal you should be worried about is where the passenger wiper is.

I ordered a new seal from Max at five star ford, I think they were $4 or 5 plus shipping. I have p/n 5W4Z-54021A46-A, but that might be an old part number, double check before you order.

One way I found to see if it's the seal is to open the hood, turn the wipers on and pour some water on the cowl and seal. I found that mine didn't leak until the wipers started going, I guess the wiper shifts or vibrates a little as they're moving and the old seal didn't expand properly to compensate for the wiggle. It would drip water directly on the back coil.

Good luck and pm me if you have any other questions or need better directions.

Vinnie

Members online

Back