Anyone ever owned a 95-99 mits eclipse?

T-Money

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a inexpensive summer nice day cruiser convertible. Even though in most 4 seaters the back seat is small, I still want a 4 seater due to insurance. I was looking at 94-99 BMW 3series or 96-99 eclipse gst's. I haven't found a BMW yet but everytime I see one it's priced higher then I want. And also the insurance would be more.

This is just a car for those super nice days when I just want to drive forever with the top down.

Came across a 99 eclipse gst. Has 68k miles. Silver with black leather. super clean. New speakers and amp. New tires and factory chrome wheels. Price is 6500 after negotiating. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger. I like the aftermarket potential.

My first car was a mits and it was pretty reliable.

Has anyone ever owned one of these. Spyder or not. How'd you like it? Was it pretty reliable? Ride pretty nice for what it is? I researched the LS 2 years before buying one. This purchase is kind of a last minute decision. So I'm just trying to get some opinions.

Also if anyone can think of any other 4 seater convertibles. Older so there insurance is low, good on gas, below 75k and below $7500 feel free to let me know or post links. And I'm not looking for a seebring or some other car that you see hundreds of on a daily basis lol.

Thanks.

Last edited:
My roommate is working on one.
Known issues with leaking tops. How old is the owner? He says seems a little high for a GST.

My roommate is working on one.
Known issues with leaking tops. How old is the owner? He says seems a little high for a GST.

Kbb private party value is 8800. Suggested retail is just over 10k.
Owner is 30's. It's in amazing condition. It's clear that it was garaged. No rust. Stored over winters. The paint is shiny and reflective. The gst is top of the line. 6500 for one with only 68k which is low low miles is very good. I've been watching the market. I'm fine with the price. It's good deal to me. I've seen that have much higher miles be listed for more. And this is a 1999.. Last year they were made. Also upgraded speakers and amp. And new tires. It adds up.

I have heard about the top. Im hoping that since this was only like a weekend driver and since it was stored over winters hopefully the roof won't leak anytime soon compared to one that say is used alot and stays outside all year round.

Engine wise they are solid....i drove a montero sport with the same engine and its very solid but underpowered (in the montero anyways). Still in use past 150K miles although it needs a new steering rack but i dont drive it.

But nothing ever needed to be replaced besides the lower oil pan gasket. Cooling system isnt crappy like the LS either.

Did the montero have the turbo too? Haha I know it does not add that much power.
But I think with the turbo and then I'll probably add an intake and exhaust. I think it'll be enough power to satisfy me.

LOL..nope. The V6's only came in na and choices were a 3.0L or 3.5L with 170-200 hp crank if i remember.

The turbo version is much quicker....the 3000GT version makes almost 300hp.

Pretty sure the Montero didn't have the 4g63t. Probably had the 2.0 N/A like the N/A DSMs.

Never owned a DSM but I really, really wanted one for a while. Still do, but I think those days might be gone since they're all sort of just rusting away.

Price sounds pretty good to me. That's really low mileage for the year. Hopefully it wasn't beat on too much. Plenty of aftermarket for that motor, too. You can push 300hp pretty easily. The GST isn't quite as powerful as the GSX (smaller turbo, I believe) but the motor itself is the same so it will take the same abuse. Just watch out for torque steer.

Pretty sure the Montero didn't have the 4g63t. Probably had the 2.0 N/A like the N/A DSMs.

I got confused. Thought it was a V6 eclipse. In the states they didnt come with a turbo 4 but overseas they did.

I don't think 1996-99 eclipse had a v6 option.

And nelliot, the gsx does not come in a drop top lol.

My 98 avenger (essentially the same car -talon, laser, eclipse, avenger - all on same dsm chassis) had a swapped 4G63. great motors, although the 6 bolt motors from the 1g DSM cars is the one to have.

Fun car.
Awesome aftermarket

Is it a manual or automatic?
I killed 3 automatic transmissions in the avenger running barely over stock boost, with simple bolt ons.

The stock auto trans in the eclipses (RS, GS, GST, and even the GSX) is junk.

It's auto,, :(. But I want auto.

I haven't learned how to drive stick. And since this will just be a cruiser. Not a street racer or anything I just want to be able to put it in drive and go. And
If I'm ever in a situation where I have to drive say maybe a little buzzed id rather have auto lol.

a good friend of mine had a nice 97-98ish gst spyder back in the day. he got it for the same reason, straight cruising on nice summer nights. when he got it it had the entire top removed, and a fiberglass piece that covered the rear seats making it look like a roadster. it was damn reliably too. it took a good turbo and FMIC upgrade and never had a problem. it also got beat on pretty badly.

Kbb private party value is 8800. Suggested retail is just over 10k.
Owner is 30's. It's in amazing condition. It's clear that it was garaged. No rust. Stored over winters. The paint is shiny and reflective. The gst is top of the line. 6500 for one with only 68k which is low low miles is very good. I've been watching the market. I'm fine with the price. It's good deal to me. I've seen that have much higher miles be listed for more. And this is a 1999.. Last year they were made. Also upgraded speakers and amp. And new tires. It adds up.

I have heard about the top. Im hoping that since this was only like a weekend driver and since it was stored over winters hopefully the roof won't leak anytime soon compared to one that say is used alot and stays outside all year round.

My roommate has been wrong in other areas when it comes to cars. He thought it was absolutely ridiculous for getting a LSE bumper with foglight brackets shipped for $350.

the 4g63 is a super solid motor, great aftermarket potential and can handle a good amount of power with stock motor essentially, a few bolts on do these cars wonders, the auto scares me, the 5 speed is what ive always worked with, at 6500 for a minty 99 Gst sounds pretty fair to me

They are pretty good cars, had a 98. Small though, at least for me. I'm 6'0 240 pounds. Reliable car as well

These things fill the junk yards, they will be worth something some day.

2/22/12 alzimme-write that down.

PS-Owned one, I'd never pay that much for another but it was a rock solid car and fun to drive.

I owned one about 8 years ago. They're definitely fun cars with an outstanding aftermarket selection. The primary item to keep an eye out for is crankwalk. This being a 99 it probably has the 7bolt motor in there which would be prone to it. The 1g 6bolt 4g63 didn't have that problem. That being said it's something along the lines of under 10% occurrence so I wouldn't let that scare you off. (Full disclosure: I had a 95GST 7bolt over 100,xxx and it never had crankwalk).

Other key item to check would be the timing belt and water pump. I'd find out if they've been replaced or not yet as that's right around when I had to get mine changed out. Hope this helped.

Good point. The timing belt is crucial. If the previous owner has no record of changing it, do it immediately or you could be replacing the head in short order.

I posted this thread way back in February, I did finally buy an eclipse in April all the way from California.

1998 Eclipse Spyder Gs-T.
auto :(
Magenta grey pearl over grey leather.
pretty much stock, added HID's, chromes wheels off Craigslist for a steal, and tail lights, also had the center tail color matched. and changed the timing belt.

only paid 5100.00

which was good considering the one i was mentioning in this thread had 68k and i was going to pay 6500 for it..
It is 15 years old, but it cleans up really good.

wwwec011.jpg

wwwec014.jpg

wwwec015.jpg

wwwec013.jpg

wwwec017.jpg

wwwec020.jpg

wwwec021.gif

wwwec023.gif

wwwec024.gif

Hard to believe it's 15 years old. Seems like every eclipse I see is beat to hell.

Nice find but damn you drove all the way to california and back for an eclipse?

Nice find but damn you drove all the way to california and back for an eclipse?

Took a plane out there and then drove back. My brother lives there do I stayed a week to make the plane ticket worth it. It was a good deal and a California car I couldn't resist.

Its nice to have a toy car around if you have the means. Nice looking eclipse for the age.

Members online

No members online now.
Back