Anyone ever use their insurance for dings/scratches?

Fla02LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
For the entire time i have owned my LS it has been perfect, in the last couple months i got some horrible scratches on the passenger side door and most recently two bad dings on the rear driver door from someone in a parking lot. Has anyone used their insurance comprehensive coverage to repair these sort of things? My deductible is $100 which i am sure is way less than what the repair is going to cost.

I've used it to repair the hood after a semi truck in front of me decided to let go of some gravel on the bumper. I had the body shop include painting the mclaren grille and eyebrows while they were at it.

I've heard that every insurance claim is found on a carfax report, if that's any concern to you.

I actually just got 2 little dings on my door and i just talked to my insurance agent on Tuesday of this week and he tells me and assures me there will be no money coming out of my pocket

For the entire time i have owned my LS it has been perfect, in the last couple months i got some horrible scratches on the passenger side door and most recently two bad dings on the rear driver door from someone in a parking lot. Has anyone used their insurance comprehensive coverage to repair these sort of things? My deductible is $100 which i am sure is way less than what the repair is going to cost.

May be less but is it really worth it? They wont do the entire car so unless they are very good at spot repair it sometimes looks worse from what I hear.

Just pay some kids to mess it up to get a whole makeover and blame it on those hippies in the police report:D

I wouldn't risk it unless you really must get it repaired---your rates can still go up from a comprehensive claim.

I actually just got 2 little dings on my door and i just talked to my insurance agent on Tuesday of this week and he tells me and assures me there will be no money coming out of my pocket

Not right now theres not, but wait until you renew your policy, I bet you will see an increase.

Don't make this kind of a claim. You will run the risk of increasing your insurance rate. This is why when you are in an accident that is NOT your fault, do not make a claim on your own insurance. Rather, make a claim on the other guy's insurance and have them pay for the fix. In my case, my wife was driving her car and she got rear ended by some punk kid. The damage was minimal and the rear bumper cover for her Infiniti FX35 had to be replaced, along with part of an exhaust pipe. Police report showed it was the kid's fault, so we did not even tell our insurance company. Rather, I made a claim on the kid's (e.g., parent's) insurance and everything was paid for by their insurance company. Since my insurance company did not even know, we would not get a rate increase.

Yes, your insurance company may raise your rate if you make a claim in an incident that was NOT your fault. Or they may drop you entirely. Sad but true.

I understand the risk in making such a claim, but i have been with the same insurance company for 10 years and havent had any claims. I purposely have a $100 comprehensive deductible to cover just this sort of thing, minor issues. If they were to raise my rate or give me any problems over a couple door dings and scratches then i would most likely drop THEM and go with another company. What the hell good is comprehensive coverage if you can never actually utilize it? I totally disagree with the whole fear of making claims, thats why i pay them and carry their coverage. We'll see, they could tell me that my concerns wont be covered and that would solve that. I just HATE having these imperfections on an otherwise 99% perfect vehicle.

You can play hardball with these companies if need be. If they raise your rates just threaten to switch to another company. If they say they'll still be giving you the same rate as everyone else after the increase, say fine, I'll pay the other company the same amount.

Sometimes, filing a claim (no matter how small) can actually work against you. Sure no money out of your pocket if your insurance covers it. I've heard that some companies will raise your rates if you file claims. They see you as more of a liablility.

That's what I've heard.

..and possibly drop you. Not worth it, IMO.

I have a couple of scratches on my car and my rear bumper has some gouges, but I live with it until I can get the whole car re-done.

I got my insurance company to repair a crack in my windsheild that was 2ft long from the piles of snow on the car. Hasn't incrased my rates at all.....then again i am having to pay 200-240 a month on my auto insurance

I got my insurance company to repair a crack in my windsheild that was 2ft long from the piles of snow on the car. Hasn't incrased my rates at all.....then again i am having to pay 200-240 a month on my auto insurance

I know in FL they cover the front glass anyways by law and can not increase for that, not sure about other states though.

Glass appears to be handled differently. I know that with most major insurance companies, if you get a stone chip, the insurance company will waive your deductible and provide free windshield repair. No rate increase either.

oh, mine is just a 70 dollar fee but I got it quoted and it's a 400 dollar repair job

I understand the risk in making such a claim, but i have been with the same insurance company for 10 years and havent had any claims. I purposely have a $100 comprehensive deductible to cover just this sort of thing, minor issues. If they were to raise my rate or give me any problems over a couple door dings and scratches then i would most likely drop THEM and go with another company. What the hell good is comprehensive coverage if you can never actually utilize it? I totally disagree with the whole fear of making claims, thats why i pay them and carry their coverage. We'll see, they could tell me that my concerns wont be covered and that would solve that. I just HATE having these imperfections on an otherwise 99% perfect vehicle.

Hey, I don't disagree, but I speak from experience. That's the way insurance companies operate, so proceed with caution. In today's economy, many companies are quite risk-averse.

If you've had them for 10 years, have you not had any other car that had dings and scratches? Why haven't you looked to use it until now?

oh, mine is just a 70 dollar fee but I got it quoted and it's a 400 dollar repair job

If your referring to the windshield from ford thats almost a $900 not including the installation. Mine was replaced no charge. The job would have cost cost to 1100 for my car. I have the rain sensing wipers and of course the heated wipers and the part was from Lincoln and not aftermarket.

Lucky Punks... Here in Tx, NO-ONE (that I know of) insures the front glass. Wish they did.

I made a $5300 claim on my insurance once. No rate increases.

Now, granted, I have a 1Million per occurrence umbrella policy with a 2 Million cap.

Sadly, that only costs $4800ish..? per year.

But it covers me in anything I drive, fly or ride.

If I were to call one of the more commonly known insurance agencies to insure some of my stuff, they'd turn their heads sideways and look at me like a dog hearing a high pitched whistle.

go for it if it wont increase the the primeium and if it does it will only be a couple of dollars. in any case your right why do you pay them for.

The windshield in our car is made of a material called laminated glass. But how does it work, and what happens to the glass when you break it? Laminated glass is made by taking plastic and glass, and merging the two together. So you can look at the process in a very simple way as taking a piece of glass, and sticking plastic on top of the sheet of glass. Then you take another piece of glass and sandwich that on top of the plastic layer. This process is called sandwiching the glass. Once this is done the plastic layer, or sometimes layers, keeps the glass together once broken. Laminated auto glass is very flexible. The plastic layer helps keep you in the car when you “forgot to wear your seat belt”. Another very important part of laminated glass is that the glass stops 97% of the UV rays that come from the sun. And have you ever notice that the sound inside your car is so much less than outside the car? Laminated glass reduces the sound levels tremendously. So in all, we can safely assume that the safety glass in our windshield is absolutely safe. Oh No A Crack In The Windshield! It happens to all of us. It is a beautiful fall day and the sun is shining. You have set your mind on taking a nice drive up to Vermont to see the fall foliage. It really is the perfect day to do so. Once on the highway, you are enjoying a good CD while you look at your wife’s sweet smile and then it happens. All out of the blue this big truck in front of you looses a little pebble, and it hits your windshield with almost surgical precision, and there it is, a crack. The smile on your wife’s face disappears and you can already feel the pain in your wallet. This is not going to be cheap is the first thing on your mind. This is really good information and I appreciate you sharing it. It’s great to have someone so knowledgeable commenting! Please keep them coming! Replacement Auto Glass

Members online

No members online now.
Back