Anything Special about the OE oil filter?

jsteigerptd

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody - I just (finally) picked up my '01 V6 Sport and noticed that they previous owner used the OE oil filter. After kicking around this site, I also saw another reference to people having limited choices for oil filters.

I went to Fram's website and looked up my vehicle -- According to them, it uses the same filter as my wife's Jeep Liberty! (How convenient) Is there anything special about the Motorcraft filter???

Thanks

I've used the Mobil1 filter on my V6 for the last 75K miles.

There are some applications where the filter has a check valve in it to keep it from draining down. I don't know if that is the case with yours or not...but I do know that many aftermarket filters don't go to the added expense the factory does for many of the little differences that add up to a lot!

The factory filter probably does have an anti drainback valve. Since our filters lay on their sides, this valve can be important, it prevents the filter from draining while sitting, which prevents "dry" startups and also it can prevent dirty oil from escaping the filter.

I forget which brands do have the valve so OEM is safest, but hard to find or expensive. Most of us will be in good shape with a reputable aftermarket filter with or without the anti drainback. You can often call the technical guys at the filter companies and they will tell you which filter to use and what features it has.

There are also a couple websites that cut the filters apart and tell you who makes what and what is inside. A websearch for Oil Filter study should turn it up. A lot of store brands are made by the big boys and many are excellent and much cheaper than the identical name brand filter.

I personally prefer Purolator for other cars(I haven't found a source for the LS) and they are often the manufacturer of the Motorcraft filters. Strangely, the Purolators often don't have the valve but their OEM version does.

I use a WIX brand that I get thru Rockauto on the web. Good price and delivery, and the WIX have a good reputation and at least in my eyeball comparison versus a FRAM, they are much more rugged looking in build quality and materials. I have never had problems with Frams but they do appear to be a bit lesser quality and ruggedness. There are horror stories about Fram, but then you can pick any brand get get stories. I used to use Fram on everything for many years and never had problems. I changed due to availability and the horror stories.

If you change your oil and filter regularly, you are probably safe with just about any decent brand filter.

Just my opinions,

Jim Henderson

Hmmm....I wouldn't touch a Purolator. They got caught

Never mind...I deleted the specifics. I'd better not go there.

Members online

Back