Audio Setup Question

LS-N-IT

LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, heres my first official question thread. Lets hope its a good one ;)
I read all the posts I could find on the topic, I want to get the opinion of the LS audiophiles on here. Im installing a system, here is what I am doing (and then my questions)

Head unit: Kenwood DXP-701
4 door speakers: Alpine Type R 6.5s (I may buy 2 sets of DEI Studio 6x8 components for better midbass response.)
Sub: Alpine DVC 12" Type-R Sealed
Amps: I have 4 2-channel MTX amps to use.

Question 1: I am contemplating putting in some 6x9 woofers only in the rear deck for midbass too. Is this advised? (anyone tried it and found it only muddied the sound? or found that it rocked?)

Question 2: my front components will obviously be installed with tweets.. I am thinking about leaving the tweets out for the rear doors. Any opinions/suggestions??

Your help is much appreciated!
Thanks,
Jer

I'll share my experience with you...

I had an all Alpine system installed in my LS about a year ago. What I got was the double din head unit (iva-w200), 6.5" type r coaxles in all four doors, one 12" type r sub (dual 2Ω) in a sealed box (1.0 cubic feet), a MRP-F450 amp pushing 75 watts rms to the mid/highs, and an older MRV-T757 V12 amp pushing 300-350 watts rms to the sub. (I already had the sub and amp from another vehicle).

Let me first say I wish I would have gotten components for the front to bring the sound stage up (around my ears instead of my knees). I have seen some very nice installs but am very leary about cutting holes in my doors to do it. I have not tried to put the 6x9's in the rear deck yet but I have been told that will bring the sound stage up higher (ie it rocks!). I will likely do that in the near future.... either that or move the 6.5's from the rear doors to the rear deck and put the factory speakers back in the rear doors. I dont have enough amps to run 6 speakers and a sub.

Bottom line, if you can put speakers in the rear deck; do it. If not it will work fine with the components up front. I would not advise putting components in the rear doors but rather using coaxle speakers. My rear passengers sometimes complain that the stereo is too loud (even though I have the fade set to the front a couple ticks and the amp set higher on the fronts than the rears). I would not recommend using 6x8 in the doors (even though that is the factory size). It is a personal preference but I believe round speakers sound better and with a simple adaptor plate the 6.5" type r's fit perfectly. Make sure you have enough power running to the type r's as they don't respond as well to lower power inputs (low efficiency). Mine sound great at any volume.

Overall it sounds as if you are on the right track. Congradulations on your purchase of the LS and I hope you enjoy it. Let us know what you decide to go with... and as always take some pictures.
You can view my setup in my photo gallery.

Thanks for the advice man. Heres what I am going to go with (I had most of this stuff from previous vehicles)

Head Unit: Kenwood Excelon DXP-701 http://www.sonicelectronix.com/pictures.php?id=7192

Front Doors: Alpine Type R 6.5" components (Amp: 100x2 MTX)
Rear Doors: Stock 6x8s (Amp: 75x2 MTX)
Rear Deck: CDT 6x9 Mid Subwoofers (Amp: 200x2 MTX)
Sub: Single Sealed 12" Alpine DVC Type-R (Amp: 600x1 MTX)

Ill take pics as I install. Im hoping the CDTs in the rear deck have some great midbass punch. I plan on running those @50-150hz (depending on how they sound after install) and the sub will be @80hz and down.

J

Members online

Back