Autolite 764 Sparks Plugs

FDPuma

LVC Member
Reaction score
Are the Autolites better than anyother spark plugs? What about the Motorcraft or the Nogoly plugs? Going to order the Nogoly wire real soon, just want to get the best plugs, if I'm going to pay that kind of money for the wires, you know.

I ran Autolite 764s with no issues. IMHO, for a stock to mildly modded 4.6L DOHC, they are great.

Stock Motorcraft plugs are AWSF-32Cs, one step colder plugs are the 22Cs and 2 steps colder plugs are the 12Cs. I am now running the Motorcraft 12Cs and they seem to do well. A daily driver may not want to run 2 step colder plugs however.

Nickerson, KS? Ahhhh, the good ol' days... :rolleyes:

Hey driller what do you recommend for a near stock 96? I'm thread-serting the plugs and doing some general clean up and painting under the hood and plugs are getting done. I'm ditching the +4Bosches that I was running. All the important tune stuff is new and I did some port work on the intake. More mods just around the corner.

02LSE96LSC91SE84TC said:
Hey driller what do you recommend for a near stock 96? I'm thread-serting the plugs and doing some general clean up and painting under the hood and plugs are getting done. I'm ditching the +4Bosches that I was running. All the important tune stuff is new and I did some port work on the intake. More mods just around the corner.

In my opinion, you want as cold of a plug you can run without fouling.

I started with the 764s when 'bout all I had was gears and exhaust. As things progressed, I went with the one step colder Motorcrafts, the 22Cs. The tune I now have runs pretty aggressive timing, so I went with the 12Cs. When I pulled the 22Cs for the 12Cs, the 22C plugs looked fine with just a hint of possibly running hot(I have the new Screamin' Demon coils), certainly no signs of fouling or running cold, so that gave me confidence to go with the 2 step colder plug. I haven't examined them but I do not show any signs of a miss or other symptoms of plug fouling and I do run the car hard. But again, if your car is a daily driver, too cold a plug may result in fouling. If you do experience this, you need to back up to a one step hotter plug.

I'll try the 22Cs. While I like to keep it driveable as possible, fact is I do few real daily driver miles with the MarkVIII anymore. Last time I drove it for business for a few weeks it spit a spark plug out in retaliation. Motorcraft 22C is the whole part#. Sorry if thats a dum question.

AWSF22C is what to ask for. The 2 step colder plug P/N is AWSFA12C which is tough to find at times. I got the 22Cs from the local FLM dealer but several online vendors offer them as well.

Good reading... Spark Plugs 101

I use the Autolite 103's which are the same as the 22C's but slightly cheaper. They are 1 step colder than stock.

Dominus said:
Bosch +4s totally suck. Never used them ina car that actually worked right.

:I throw those damn bosch's at the wall!!!!!
i had a 97 bird 4.6 sohc and the electrode fell into the cyl at 80 on the freeway! after i ripped off the heads i found that it got stuck in the exhaust valve, so luckily just had to clean up the valve and seat and it was ok. but the cost of all the gaskets sucked, for just using crappy quality plugs, and bosch wouldnt refund anything, i took pics of the whole process, the remainder of the plug still holding the valve open, all recepts, even offered to send all 7 3/4 plugs to them so they can examine the plugs and see that the car wasnt running lean etc. but they didnt care, i tryed to just get the cost of the plugs refunded, but nothing. so now its motorcraft or nothing

of course, Driller to the rescue! Just the reading I needed, I'm searching around for articles on how to do my plugs and wires!

I've got to hit the gym, but I'll brb and read the rest of the article, hopefully I can get the plugs and wires somewhere around here today, but it is sounding like I may have to order them.

THANKS HOTTIES!!!!

SMOOCH!
MsM8

FDpuma, im thinking about getting those nology wires too, just a dumb question, but if you produce a larger spark than your plugs wear down faster too right? oh and one more thing, ive heard about burning up the coils when you have a hugh spark like the one that those wires produce.

mrwheeler81 said:
FDpuma, im thinking about getting those nology wires too, just a dumb question, but if you produce a larger spark than your plugs wear down faster too right? oh and one more thing, ive heard about burning up the coils when you have a hugh spark like the one that those wires produce.

The spark occurs AFTER the coils so they are not affected.

You would have spark erosion from the plugs if they were of a soft metal compound such as silver. The Autolites are copper and take alot of spark abuse.

than i take it that the stock motorcraft plugs are copper as well, someone was telling me that the gen II came stock with platinums?

The stock plugs are platinum on one bank and double platinum on the other bank. The reason for this is longevity. However on an NA engine the performance won't be affected that much if at all either, although copper is the better conductor. On an NA engine run platinum plugs, nitrous or supercharged run copper...

interesting on how they run different plugs, someday i would love to supercharge, but i do want to run those nology wires and i take it that copper plugs are the way to go.

When I took the old plugs and wires off I looked em over pretty good and compared them to some pretty good online pics (thanks Brentalan), the ones I took out matched up and a few even looked better than the perfect pics they had....but went for a drive....he thanked me....it was like driving a new Mark, sweet!

Hotties, very tasty thread...Im keeping this one bookmarked. (I think my Merk got jealous getting all the goodies for the Mark!)

SMOOCHES!!! Thanks agian!

MsM8

I'm sticking with ONEBADMARK8. I'm not due for wires yet, but when I change plugs I'm going to use the Autolites 764's gapped at .048. By the way due the Nogoly wires still have lifetime warranties?

FDPuma said:
I'm sticking with ONEBADMARK8. I'm not due for wires yet, but when I change plugs I'm going to use the Autolites 764's gapped at .048. By the way due the Nogoly wires still have lifetime warranties?

I took out clean looking Motorcraft Plat's...thought I made a mistake...but took a ride and can't believe the difference!

MsM8

Members online

No members online now.
Back