Aviator issues

Hi I recently purchased a 03' Aviator a couple of weeks ago. I hear some sort of howling noise when I have my foot on the gas peddle slightly, is this what everyone is talking about? If so, whats the problem? I also get this strong rattle vibration when I turn the steering wheel ALL THE Way to the left while I hit the brakes, Is this something that is a defect and needs to be fixed? Thanks People!

It's all in the Dealer!

This is my third, and hopefully last update on my Aviator which is now 6 months old. Those of you who have read my previous reports will remember that my trials and tribulations were about the same as everyone else's - namely, rear differential noise, driver seat track too loose, poorly fitting trim pieces, and a front end noise when turning left.

Well, in summary, the car has had too much wrong with it for an expensive luxury car, but I can now report that the dealer has listened to all my complaints with interest, tried his best, and has now fixed everything to my satisfaction. The rear end required two tries, the seat track is now fixed on the first try. (they installed a new seat track), all the trim pieces that didn't fit right have bee replaced - and I'm now happy. It's a nice truck/car.

I have a neighbor with a beautiful 2004 BMW 740i and his car has been a nightmare of repair. I guess it makes one feel better to know that the germans have their problems too, and this is a $75K car!!!

It might be of interest for some of you that the last visit to the dealer (seat track), they also informed me that they had a factory notification for a transmission service. It called them to add a transmission additave. I havn't noticed any difference, and havn't heard about any particular troubles with this transmission. Good thing they took care of it because this is a sealed transmission in case you didn't know. There is no dipstick, or topside place to add transmission oil.

I've been working with this dealer for 15 years, and make it perfectly clear to them that top notch service is the primary reason I return to buy new lincolns. I'm pleased to report that they've lived up to my expectations.

FYI - Baranco Lincoln-Mercury, Atlanta, GA.

Wayne

Me Too

I have the same issue with the AC crunch. The vehicle is an 03 and never made the sound till recently. The dealer told me it is normal freon rush sound, sounds like bunk to me, especially since it just started. I'm taking to another dealer and will post what I find out.
Katshot said:
Anybody got any? I've got a few minor ones myself, and would LOVE to know if I'm alone.

1. The engine is VERY rough. The whole truck shakes at idle.
2. The driver's seat track is sloppy on the left side making the seat move back and fourth slightly when starting/stopping.
3. The A/C makes a lot of noise but has very poor airflow.
4. The A/C compressor comes on with a loud CRUNCH at first start up.
5. Occasionally, there's a loud howling noise from the rear of the vehicle (sounds like a ghost!)
6. Wind noise and rattle from the right side "B" pillar area.

Cheer me up!

I'm only at 5,000 miles, but already have the A/C compressor noise, loose fitting trim pieces and the rear-end whine. I had an 84 Grand Marquis with a noisy rear-end. Difference was the Mercury did it at low speeds, and this aviator does it at high speeds. Glad to hear they'll fix it. I just thought the 3.73 gears were a noisy Ford problem!! This is my first Lincoln Mercury vehicle in many years, and I'm starting to remember why. Hopefully the dealer will be helpful, but my first phone call was not encouraging.

P.S. I love the way the truck feels other than this.

Katshot said:
Anybody got any? I've got a few minor ones myself, and would LOVE to know if I'm alone.

2. The driver's seat track is sloppy on the left side making the seat move back and fourth slightly when starting/stopping.
5. Occasionally, there's a loud howling noise from the rear of the vehicle (sounds like a ghost!)

I get the rear end whine i think you all are talking about.i think it only comes when your on the freeway and give it a little gas after being off the throttle the whole way....then i hear it...kind of gets annoying but its a turn up the music thing to me lol
i also get the steering wheel shake really bad when i am turn the wheel the whole way to the right or left and gently accelerate..........i will be taking it to the dealer very soon for this

Only problems has been the loud howling

My was repair 3 times by dealer, the last time they installed a new tranxale, has to wait 2 months for the new one. loaner a 2005 Sable.
Katshot said:

Howling Noise

Ask the dealer to replace part # v*654*k axle asy they have to replace w a new one, there is no repair for it.
Johnnyblaze760 said:
Hi I recently purchased a 03' Aviator a couple of weeks ago. I hear some sort of howling noise when I have my foot on the gas peddle slightly, is this what everyone is talking about? If so, whats the problem? I also get this strong rattle vibration when I turn the steering wheel ALL THE Way to the left while I hit the brakes, Is this something that is a defect and needs to be fixed? Thanks People!

Does anyone have suggestions on how to get the dealer to correct the following issues on an '04 Aviator:
1. Strange vibration/clunking when turning left
2. No interior lights on clock, steering wheel controls, A/C controls or radio?

Sprung Spring ? Ghost Howling ?

Katshot your thread made me laugh, I have be trying to describe this noise and I think you got it ,its a howling that just comes out of no where on occasion and I haven’t been able to troubleshot it yet . I am not sure if it has something to do with the A/C or acceleration, help.

Katshot said:

Has anyone figured out what causes the car to shake so bad at idle? My 2003 Navi started about 3000 miles ago have had it to 3 different dealerships and they say nothing is wrong, I have driven other 2003 expeditions/f-150/navi's and none of them do it at all !! WTF(frick)!!!

03 aviator check engine light

Hi guys,

I just got my avi bought it used a week ago at 25k miles. Everything was good until today...I noticed that my fuel gauge dropped after I filled up on gas, loss of fuel pressure I'm guessing from not installing the cap right. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, seemed to take a few tries to get it right to make the gauge read my full tank after a couple cold starts. I didn't think a gas cap could cause this much trouble, now my check engine light came on. I could disconnect my battery and see if it resets, but I did notcie a a groove where an "O" ring seal might go on the gas cap...is there supposed to be one? I can't find any info. on it now, can someone let me know if the gas cap is supposed to have a seal? Maybe that's why I am losing fuel pressure? Thanks.

For the fuel gauge issue, go to Wal-mart and buy a bottle of Techron.... probably a batch of gas with too high a sulfur content - May have fouled your sending unit.

My Aviator recently had a tranny shifting/slipping problem that got progressively worse over a short period of time..... Turned out to be the solenoid pack & was replaced n/c by dealer - Truck shifts like a million bucks now!!

I too have noticed the radio lights go on/off from time to time. Here's something of interest though..... It only happens around dusk! When it's completely dark out, no issues. I thought "maybe" it's somehow tied to the auto headlamp system? Any thoughts???

Anybody have some good performance mod ideas? How about interior woodtrim piece suppliers? Wheels/tires? I'd love to see some pix from fellow members! :)

Lastly, what kind of gas mileage are you getting? My Aviator in fairly mixed driving is getting about 13.5 - 14.5 mpg, this only after I set the tire pressures to 38psi. How's everyone else's performing???

Thanks for all the replies!

lv03aviator said:
Hi guys,

I just got my avi bought it used a week ago at 25k miles. Everything was good until today...I noticed that my fuel gauge dropped after I filled up on gas, loss of fuel pressure I'm guessing from not installing the cap right. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, seemed to take a few tries to get it right to make the gauge read my full tank after a couple cold starts. I didn't think a gas cap could cause this much trouble, now my check engine light came on. I could disconnect my battery and see if it resets, but I did notcie a a groove where an "O" ring seal might go on the gas cap...is there supposed to be one? I can't find any info. on it now, can someone let me know if the gas cap is supposed to have a seal? Maybe that's why I am losing fuel pressure? Thanks.

This is a HUGE problem for Ford with several models!! There are published letters from Ford on it. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the gas cap. They aren't sure why and don't have a cure. They actually showed me a letter where Ford believes there is a certain pump handle at gas stations that delivers fuel so fast it sinks the float. That's bull. I have filled mine up extremely slow and it still occasionally does it. Eventually, it will read correctly...some sooner than others. I have had this same problem on 3 other Ford products and it's frustrating. By now, I've become used to it. But I can sympathize with the dealers. They really don't know why it's doing it. They can't fix it if they can't find the problem!

Hi All,

Bought my '03 Aviator 2WD used 3 months ago w/35k miles on it. Before I bought it, I had a Ford dealer service department run its VIN number to check for its service history. -All maintenance was done every 5k and the only warranty work it had was for a malfunctioning tailgate glass button... Not too bad considering it is a first year model!

The truck has been absolutely fabulous. I'm averaging 16.2 MPG with mostly in town driving with the tires at 40PSI. I also alternate tanks with 87 and 91 octane when I fill up. Love the power.

I do have the momentary A/C compressor grind at startup, but only if the compressor hasn't kicked on for more than 2 days. Through some searching, I have found that this is a characteristic of many Ford truck A/C compressors. It is nothing to worry about and the tradeoff is many years of reliable service.

No rear axle whine whatsoever and it has the original rear end. My '03 also has the class III tow package (and a trailer brake controller installed- was little nervous about that, but all is well)

Glad I found this forum. Sorry for the long post!

Congrats! And enjoy your new purchase.... pretty decent gas mileage you're getting there. We see ~12 - 13.5 mpg city and about 18 highway. :( But, I will admit the power & tranny shift from 1st. - 2nd. @ WOT is simply too addictive. hahaha

I'd be careful about running lower octane fuel in the Aviator. The Ford 4.6 DOHC V8 is a high compression engine. If you run lower octane fuel, you will risk detonation, which is a premature explosion of the fuel, which can result in a loss of power and possible engine damage. If your engine is detonating, you may hear an audible "knock" or "ping". Detonation may vary from a faint noise on light acceleration to a constant, deep hammering noise while driving at a constant speed. Improper timing adjustments, vacuum leaks, or excessively lean fuel mixtures may also cause detonation.

As a 'rule of thumb', engines with compression ratios of 9.3:1 or higher should be using 91 octane fuel or higher. Otherwise, you may risk detonation. The 4.6 DOHC in the Aviator has a compression ratio of 10.0:1.

Hi, My name is Jeremy and i am new here, I have had 2 Aviators, an 03 Kitty Hawk edition, and my current an 05 Ivory Parchement tri-coat, i love both of them, however in my 03 i did experience many of the problems you guys are having with yours, such as rear axle noise, electrical and fuel guage problems, etc. I havn't had any problems with my 05 as of yet but it only currently has 3000 miles on it so we will see. I also work for Ford Motor Company at the St Louis assembly plant where the Aviators are (well, were) built, i worked on frame line most of the time but worked on some trim lines as well, so if any of you have any questions about them i can mor than likely answer them, if i cant, i know several engineers involved in the development of the Aviator who can. Sorry for the long post, but feel free to contact me with any questions, and i look foward to talking to all of you,

-Jeremy

Jeremy,

Welcome! Being a guy from the Ford family, perhap you can advise all of us about the fuel requiements for the Aviator? There's been some debate about what octane rating to use with these trucks..... Any "intimate" knowledge you could share with us all?

Thanks & again - WELCOME!!! :)

Being a high compression motor and the sensitivity of the EGR/emissions system the Aviator (as with most newer lincoln V8's) requires 91+ octane fuel (as it probably says on your fuel door), when i bought my first Aviator in 2003 i put 87 octane in it, it turned the MIL on and i had to have the whole EGR system replaced, i do not recommend using anything lower than what is specified by the manufacturer, and as far as i know most higher end vehicles require the use of premium fuels

As a 'rule of thumb', engines with compression ratios of 9.3:1 or higher should be using 91 octane fuel or higher. Otherwise, you may risk detonation. The 4.6 DOHC in the Aviator has a compression ratio of 10.0:1

I'm aware of and do take the relatively higher compression ratio into account when I mix the lower octane fuel. The Aviator DOHC V8 CR is actually higher at 10.3:1.

I also own a Kia Amanti with a 10.0:1 compression ratio and the manual states that regular is fine to run (91+ for "best" performance- hint "best performance"). I use regular with no problem/pinging in that car.

My reasoning is that there is not a big difference in CR between the two above vehicles to worry about running 91+ in the Aviator all the time. I don't need to utilize all 302 horses all the time either.;)

The ECM or PCM or whatever it's called in the Aviator will also advance or retard timing accordingly from input it receives from the engine knock sensors.

I'm not claiming to be an expert, but based on my experience, I've had no problems running lower octane fuel.

Just to cover my butt, I called my local Ford dealer and inquired about this. The service manager stated that it would not void the warranty, but to just be sure to add fuel system treatment to the gas once and awhile.

IMO, unless you tow or haul regularly or live at high altitudes, putting 91+ octane in at every fillup is throwing money away.

Being a high compression motor and the sensitivity of the EGR/emissions system the Aviator (as with most newer lincoln V8's) requires 91+ octane fuel (as it probably says on your fuel door), when i bought my first Aviator in 2003 i put 87 octane in it, it turned the MIL on and i had to have the whole EGR system replaced, i do not recommend using anything lower than what is specified by the manufacturer, and as far as i know most higher end vehicles require the use of premium fuels

I've had tank after tank of 87 octane in with no MIL...

It also says to put 5w-20 motor oil in on my oil fill cap and to ONLY use this weight in the owners manual!!!:eek::shifty:

I won't run anything lighter than 10w-30 here in hot sunny Florida especially during the summer months. No problems so far!

Do you recommend I use 5w-20 in my climate? IIRC Ford switched the recommended oil viscosity across the line a few years back for the sake of improving corporate fuel economy... At the expense of engine protection....See where I'm coming from?

I agree with many of your comments, the computers should be able to compensate for any octane deficiency by retarding ignition. We've run 87 since day one and have had no MIL's either.... I will admit to "floor'in it" every now and again, but nothing has come up to be concerned about.

Just my .02 worth. :)

Thanks dadsdream01!

Though Airman isn't wrong in his theory. The computers can only do so much, ultimately the engines compression ratio IS the biggest factor.

IMO the Aviator is on the borderline CR of absolutely requiring 91+ -any higher and I think it would be a necessity.

CR of 10.0:1 or lower can easily run on regular without problems (if within the limits of the engine computer)

If my engine blows, I will be the here to report and eat my words.:D

Members online

No members online now.
Back