Aviator issues

I have a 2005 Aviator. When the headlight control is placed on automatic occasionally all of the dash lights go completely out. If I put them back on manual, they come back on. The dealer can't find the cause because it is an intermittant problem. Has anyone else had this problem?

1. The engine is VERY rough. The whole truck shakes at idle.
---how rough, they are not the smoothest idle, is the check engine light on?
how many miles. They do have some problems with valve seats wearing out premituraly. Your dealer should know about this problem. Is it rough on acceleration too or is that smooth?

2. The driver's seat track is sloppy on the left side making the seat move
back and fourth slightly when starting/stopping.

---Also known problemw with the seat rails, again your dealer should know about the service messages on this problem

3. The A/C makes a lot of noise but has very poor airflow.
--- Cant really help with that without hearing/seeing this problem

4. The A/C compressor comes on with a loud CRUNCH at first start up.
---Totally normal, sounds bad but its normal sorry to say.

5. Occasionally, there's a loud howling noise from the rear of the vehicle (sounds like a ghost!)
---Another likely known problem. Rear axle whine, service messages on this too. Probably will need to have the rear diff rebuilt

6. Wind noise and rattle from the right side "B" pillar area.
---Again without hearing it cant determine if its normal or not.

good luck hope that helps.

I have almost the exact same problems with my 2005 Aviator which now has 8500 miles on it. The loud whirring sound in the rear was fixed by having the dealer do something with the transaxle. Not a new problem for them as they seemed to know exactly what it was. I have now started with electrical issues with the lights on the steering buttons going out first. Now sometimes all the dash lights go out except for the speedometer and radio display. My seat also moves in the track when stopping or starting. Any answers for this??

QUOTE=Katshot]Anybody got any? I've got a few minor ones myself, and would LOVE to know if I'm alone.

1. The engine is VERY rough. The whole truck shakes at idle.
2. The driver's seat track is sloppy on the left side making the seat move back and fourth slightly when starting/stopping.
3. The A/C makes a lot of noise but has very poor airflow.
4. The A/C compressor comes on with a loud CRUNCH at first start up.
5. Occasionally, there's a loud howling noise from the rear of the vehicle (sounds like a ghost!)
6. Wind noise and rattle from the right side "B" pillar area.[/QUOTE]

rear end whine

lincoln0107 said:
I get the rear end whine i think you all are talking about.i think it only comes when your on the freeway and give it a little gas after being off the throttle the whole way....then i hear it...kind of gets annoying but its a turn up the music thing to me lol
i also get the steering wheel shake really bad when i am turn the wheel the whole way to the right or left and gently accelerate..........i will be taking it to the dealer very soon for this[/QUOTE

MY 2000 LINCOLN LS made a whining sound also..annoying when the radio was off.
:p

My 03 history

Well lets see... We bought our 03 new. it has just 50K on it now and the following has been repaired.
rear glass frame replaced 3 times. cracks right wear the Lincoln symbol is... currently cracked again

rear end replaced for the whining thing

engine replaced at 30K for a broken valve ( they couldn't find the pieces so they replace the whole engine.)

current problems...

left rear window does not work
tailgate does not unlock/work only can open the glass.

and today the ABS light came on after starting but went out after putting it in gear ??? it only comes on after starting but goes out when put in gear.:confused: :confused: :confused:

other than that it has been a great driver

I feel so relieved that I'm not the only one with the loud CRUNCH at startup (after about 48 hours of not driving it only) -- I finally got sick of it and took a video of the crunching part! I HAVE IT ON MY CELL PHONE ha!!

It is the high pressure "pipe/hose/metal thingie" at the front of the vehicle that goes over and around the front of the car - both of my clips to hold it "still" are broken or stripped. That pipe goes WILD when I start the car, the cell phone couldn't even catch it all it moves so fast but I do have the noise and video to keep record of it ha! I paid a mechanic $10 (quickie) to put those heavy duty wrap ties on it in 4 places. STILL get the CRUNCH!!! It's unreal how LOUD this CRUNCH is! I guess I have to live with it then :(

Now -- the "ghost in the back of the car" visits from time to time but not while driving fast, it's while slowing down to a STOP on my car. It's a howling/ghosty sound. Did anyone ever figure it out? It stops when I turn off the a/c too! (oh, did anyone catch that?) It's not often, but it is a worrisome sound.

I just posted about the alarm - I couldn't start my car at ALL after the alarm went on and I put the key in the ignition to stop the alarm (that worked) but then it would not start at all and then the battery went dead completely. Resetting it didn't work via the manual (page 151) so I got it jumped. It was awful in the heat and rain in texas for an hour and a half :( Anyone know what I should have done differently?(you can read the full post under the aviator area).

OH -- the backup assist mirrors -- do yours go back where they were? I've had the motors replaced and they still mess up....??? I'm always having to put them where I want them!

Also the alarm for backup....goes off ALL the time -- beep beep,,,beeeeeeeeep and nothing is back there? Any way to set the sensitivity of it? Maybe it's dusty/dirty or ??? I'm afraid one day it'll be a real beep and I'll ignore it because it goes beep all the time! (well, not ALL the time, it has it's moments but gee...)

I've had the car 2,000 miles. I bought it at 50,000 miles.

Lisa

There are two noises that can be described as a howl/whine coming from the rear. One is the rear axle (mentioned a bunch here). The other not mentioned here is called something like 'expansion valve' (or something). It has to do with the rear A/C. I believe this part is located in the C pillar (maybe). What happens is small amounts of air escape and makes a wierd ghostly howl just for a few seconds and then stops. Sometimes it reminds of the sound when cops just turn on thier sirens. I believe the dealerships should be well aware of this issue.

rear axle whine

I have that problem now on my 2003 Aviator with 52k miles. Someone here mentioned there was a recall for this problem. When did that happen. Any idea what causes this problem and is it a big and costly repair?

THere is a recall for the axle whine, they will replace the rear center section. They won't do a thing about your seats, but everything else should be fixed no problem.

The replacement axle didn't really work on mine, but I'll let them try again. Always nice to get a Townie as a loaner car. ;)

Can you tell me when this recall happen for the rear axle whine? I have that problem now on my Aviator with 52k miles. Any idea what causes the problem and is it a big and costly repair?

Yeah, I'm sending mine in for rotors too. My rear doesn't whine but it DOES shake. I figure it's a driveshaft vibration though. Comes in around 70mph. That, and the damn engine shake and loose driver's seat track drive me nuts at times.

The coils are bad on the aviators. Mine were replaced (7 out of the 8) for free... they are doing this till november of 07 so get yours in... mine idled rough too its an 05 with 13k on it the ac clanked too when it sat for a while i dunno what the did but it doesnt anymore...:confused:

The coils are bad on the aviators. Mine were replaced (7 out of the 8) for free... they are doing this till november of 07 so get yours in... mine idled rough too its an 05 with 13k on it the ac clanked too when it sat for a while i dunno what the did but it doesnt anymore...:confused:

what do you ask your dealer to do? replace the coils? is it a recall type of thing?

I just went in and said my car shakes at idle and said it pretty pissed and they looked and they said no it doesnt so i went back ands tarted it and sat in the seat wiht him and told him what i felt and he said oh well these coils are having issues and he sat for about 3 hours replacing them one by one to see how it fixed it and then 7 later it was good. why he didnt just replace them all i have no idea but he said to tell fellow owners its a free fix till november... i guess its a recall but recalls are forever i thought?

Another issue to add to the list. Although this one probably applies to every car. When my car is idling or off, opening/closing the windows, operating A/C, etc... causes all the interior lights to dim significantly. I have an Optima Yellow Top bat. I don't believe it's dying already, can't be more then 1.75 years old. I'm guessing it's either grounding or the battery dying. Let's assume the voltage of the battery is normal, what other test can I perform to determine if the battery is on its way out?

I remember seeing something regarding the a/c noise issue. On a cold start up liquid refridgerant will collect in the compressor and when the a/c clutch is activated, the liquid coming out makes that noise. I also remember that the PCM will activate the a/c clutch for a short time during cranking before the engine starts to purge the compressor of the liquid. I don't know if the newer vehicles have this strategy or not. On the interior light issue, my 97 Mark 8, if it's daylight or dusk/dawn and the headlight switch is in the park or head position, the interior lights will not come on. If you put something over the light sensor, they come on. They come on all the time if the switch is in the autolamp position.

freedom9er...I think your problem is going to be either bad, loose, corroded or otherwise less than optimal connections at the battery or distrubition block/box. Also it could be to a higher amperage draw by the window motors due to a dirty/sticking window track in the door. More than likely, it is a normal thing. Almost every vehicle I have owned has done that. I had a camry that if the windows were all the way down or up and you hit both of the front window switches, the car would die. That's how I know about the dirty window run :)

I hope this helps ya'll out

rayner you're the man. thanks for the tips. if my aviator were to ever die from a window roll i would just crash it into a tree and be done with it. i have a feeling it may be the battery not putting out enough amps.

Members online

No members online now.
Back