Avic D3 Install Help!

Brillokc

LVC Member
Reaction score
So I have it apart, and the factory stereo is mounted to the brackets at 3 points. But I dont see the ability to do that with the D3. Am I doing something wrong?

I just bough tthe Avic-d3 and would some photos of the installation process? or maybe a write-up? I know there's a site called avic411.com, but I don't know the specifics of it.

avic411 is good for general help with the unit, but not so much when it comes to the LS install. After all this I'm sure I'll be able to write a good walk-through though, but from me it may be the hard way to do things

When I installed my kenwood ddx7015, I used the factory brackets, but had to drill new holes in it. I also couldn't use the mounting "sleeve" that came with it.
I know the kenwood is easier to fit into the opening that the bezel provides. IIRC with the D3 you have to make relief cuts in the corners of the bezel opening inorder to get it to fit properly.

Alright so I gave up and took it to the shop today, the wanted to charge me $500+ to do make a custom bracket and this and that. Told them no, and that I wanted to use the 03 faceplate, so they finally agreed said it should take a couple of hours at $45 an hour. Appointment is for Monday so we'll see how this goes.

Wow. I'm surprised. There are A LOT of LS owners that are part of this forum that installed the AVIC-D3 themselves, and nobody can help you out? I wish I could, seems like a "fun" DIY project, but without assistance, it definitely can get annoying for sure.

Maybe just do a search for "avic" and see what threads come up.

I've read alot, but there are a lot of experienced guys on here. I just didnt have the confidence to start drilling into the factory brackets. And with the Avic's being so cheap right now. Got it from al-eds.com for $529 shipped. I can still get it installed and be ok.

Members online

No members online now.
Back