Battery, check engine light.

dpnation

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I checked the forums and couldn't find anything that related to my current problem.

I've been driving with my check engine light on for about 3 weeks but this weekend my battery light came on for the first time. The only time the battery light comes on is when I drive at night. I turn off my head lights and the battery light goes away until I turn my head lights back on.

This is really dangerous and I don't won't to drive my car at night until I get some more info.

Any info would help.

Alternator is failing probably. The extra current draw from the headlights is probably giving it that extra strain to trigger the light.

When you get the RPMs higher does it brighten the interior and headlights?

Check the voltage at the battery when the car is off as it may just be that, also check it while the car is running @ idle.

First thing is get your CEL codes and go from there. It could be your charging system including the battery it self but get your codes read.

I checked the forums and couldn't find anything that related to my current problem.

I've been driving with my check engine light on for about 3 weeks but this weekend my battery light came on for the first time. The only time the battery light comes on is when I drive at night. I turn off my head lights and the battery light goes away until I turn my head lights back on.

This is really dangerous and I don't won't to drive my car at night until I get some more info.

Any info would help.

You have an engine problem, and now you have an unrelated failing alternator. Replace the alternator and get the OBDII codes read and then post them.

Do a search, I posted a thread recently including pics from when I replaced my alternator. Not too tough of a job.

Thanks guys, this site is a great resource when it comes to my car troubles. Yesterday (as I kind of expected) my car finally failed on me at a stop light. Ironically I was walking distance from an auto zone and got an alternator quote of 233 and some change. I will take the forum advice to my mechanic and post the codes as soon as he begins work on the car.

Here's a quick update on my car repairs. I replaced the alternator (which cost 233.00 at auto zone) and my "new" mechanic charged me only 325.00 for parts and labor. I thought that was a sweet deal. He mentioned that the battery had been getting only 9 volts before he replaced the alternator and he said it was now up to 14 volts. That sounds great to me and I notice all my internal lights are much brighter. So if anyone has this problem in the future I’d advise you to check the battery voltage like he did. After the alternator was replaced and check engine light still did not go away. It went away temporarily like always and then came right back on so the alternator wasn’t the only problem. A new code read something like P0005 which had to do with the engine and ignition. After the alternator was replaced I was feeling some heavy car shaking when the car was stopped either at a light or when I was parking. My mechanic said to code was referring to a bad coil. I told him I replaced all the spark plugs only 3 months ago and he asked if the coils were replace and I said no of course not. I thought those things were damn near indestructible, but he suggested I replace just one (the one that was leading to the check engine light coming on) so I agreed to it. 120.00 dollars later I can happily say my car no longer shakes or has the check engine light but for how long is the question.

Now my LS is running pretty good and I only have one more light I need to get rid of, that being the Airbag light. I was told by the dealership that they would charge me $95 bucks just to look at my car but that sounds like robbery. If anyone has any feedback on how to get rid of the Airbag light or has any questions on my repairs, reply.

im pretty sure the airbag light goes on when your clockspring dies. dont know how much it will cost but im told you have to replace it on pretty much every car that has one...

...I thought those things were damn near indestructible, but he suggested I replace just one (the one that was leading to the check engine light coming on) so I agreed to it. ...

You couldn't be more wrong there. You will be replacing the others soon. You can do it one at a time, or go ahead and replace all of them now.

Members online

Back