• Motorcraft

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • OTHER

Votes: 8 25.8%

• Total voters

mrfuzz

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm about to do an oil change in my new 2000 lincoln LS v8. It's due for an oil change now :)

Im looking to get something a little more premium? The last oil change was at the lincoln dealer, and im sure it was with the motorcraft oil.

Please vote.

I'm thinking of going with mobile1 ?

i voted mobil 1 because thats what i use. and frequently run it to 0% on the gauge and it stilll comes out not looking too nasty.

Hrmm

How many miles to the gallon you get?

I get 21 hw / city running midgrade 89 and I top it off with 91. Runs fine. This is with the factory oil. I have the same model LS as you I believe.

the gauge on the OBD says 18.8 mpg. so i'm guessing thats what i'm getting. i have all new coils and plugs (all motorcraft) and am no longer experiencing the slightest of misfires. although my passenger side exhaust is weaker than my driver. also i had the dealer run a valve induction cleaner along with complete fuel injection service.

i think royal purple is the best. try it out. they also say mobile 1 is competing with royal purple but royal is still on top.

I run Mobil 1 5w20 Motorcraft filter. Looks good comming out with gauge at 0%.

Ok guys thank you!

I changed the oil today. Picked up some mobile 1 5w-30 as the hood says. w/ the normal Motocraft filter. Runs great !

I also had to get a new battery today..

Yesterday while at advanced auto to pick up an oil filter, I went to go start the car. It turned over and about started when it shut its self off and the alarm went off.. Got the alarm off and tried starting again. took about 3 more tries to get it fired up.

After fired up, I turned it off and the same thing happened, took another 2 tries.

But picked up a new battery from advanced. She turns over nice now.

However everything reset! My clock along with trip and miles per gallon rating.

Now its saying I'm only getting 15 miles to the gallon over my 21?

The mileage display change is expected; it's showing a running average, and you've just reset the counter (that happens when you disconnect the battery). You've probably been idling and driving around town more, which will use more gas while going fewer miles. It will eventually get back up to being closer to the actual mileage, but if you want to accelerate the process, get on the highway, start cruising, and hit RESET on the dash while you have th eMPG display up.

I once did that while I was coasting down an exit ramp, and the display read up in the 90s for awhile. :D

BTW, as you noted, 1st Gen LSes use 5W30; 5W20 is specified for 2nd Gen LSes, ostensibly because of the VVT (Variable Valve Timing).

If you have a high mileage car, I highly recommend using Mobil 1 high mileage....

The mileage display change is expected; it's showing a running average, and you've just reset the counter (that happens when you disconnect the battery). You've probably been idling and driving around town more, which will use more gas while going fewer miles. It will eventually get back up to being closer to the actual mileage, but if you want to accelerate the process, get on the highway, start cruising, and hit RESET on the dash while you have the MPG display up.

BTW, as you noted, 1st Gen LSes use 5W30; 5W20 is specified for 2nd Gen LSes, ostensibly because of the VVT (Variable Valve Timing).

+1

I swear My 02 LS8 says 5w20. In fact my Wife's 02 Crown Vic (RIP) stated 5w20 as well.

Thanks guys :)

I'll give the display a reset on monday on my way to work.

As for the oil. the manual says 5w-20 on the servicing page for the specs of the fluids to use in the car.

But then on a different page it states 5w-30 and has a picture of motorcraft oil with 5w-30 on it. Same with the hood. But the car is running great so far. See what happens

I just switched to AMSOIL 100% Synthetic 0W-20.

As for the oil. the manual says 5w-20 on the servicing page for the specs of the fluids to use in the car.

But then on a different page it states 5w-30 and has a picture of motorcraft oil with 5w-30 on it.
The viscosity you should use depends on the climate you live in. Generally in hotter climates the engine will run hotter, which will require a higher viscosity oil to provide the same protection. The opposite applies for colder climates, where you would want to use a lower viscosity for a better flow rate when the engine is cold.

You're right; the '01 Owner's Guide also specifies 5W20. My mistake... :rolleyes:

Thanks for checking the manual (mine fell apart 2 years ago) I am glad that wasn't my mistake because thats what Ive been using!

Members online

No members online now.
Back