Best year for the Mark VIII Engine?

zwack88

LVC Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the best year/years for the DOHC 4.6 in the Mark 8's were. Are there differences in heads from year to year? For example in the SOHC 4.6 the 91-95 were known for bad valve seals and in 2001 they put PI heads on the 4.6 in the vics. I am wondering cause I want to do a DOHC 4.6 swap in my vic down the road thus the main reason I'm on this forum to learn about the DOHC 4.6. I have searched and nothing really directly answered my question. I found that a Mark engine would be my cheapest solution and build that up cause Cobra engines and Marauder engines seem to be hard to come by.

Thanks,
Zack

Impressssive there hun, not only the Crown Vic....but the HOTTIE behind it. Shouldn't you have a Hottie pic in the Guys thread?

I've been told 93's & 94's, my 94 was sweet, my current 96 is toooo Hot, but he's not natural...heheh. Im sure the rest of LVC's Hotties will hook you up with outher q's hun ;)

Now, slap a Hottie shot in the Guy thread so we can see the whole pic hun ;)

Smooch!
MsM8

LOL Ok I will make sure to post a pic. ;) Ya it is a old interceptor. Only 91K on her and I got it with 78K. The tranny is kind of iffy so I will probably replace it over the summer. I want to basically build my own marauder out of my vic. Only 18 now so when I graduate and go to tech school and graduate then I will begin the serious mods. So ya any help about the differences in the engines would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think there is any serious change except the air intake design and of course the OBDII is in the 96 and up mark VIIIs

zwack88 said:
LOL Ok I will make sure to post a pic. ;) Ya it is a old interceptor. Only 91K on her and I got it with 78K. The tranny is kind of iffy so I will probably replace it over the summer. I want to basically build my own marauder out of my vic. Only 18 now so when I graduate and go to tech school and graduate then I will begin the serious mods. So ya any help about the differences in the engines would be greatly appreciated.

You've joined the Hottest site on the internet hun, you'll get all the answers you need right here!

I picked out a CV for my sis it was a great car till some dill blasted her.

I'll be waiting on that pic hun, just click......heheh on the url in my sign ;)

MsM8

Osaín said:
Nice Crown Vic.

Is that an Interceptor?

He LL yeah thats a CVPI!

The dohc mark motors are good. its a quick way to gain power (relativly speeking) I have a buddy that did a triton V10 swap in a CVPI Thats way more awesome than the dohc swap.

Also, i may be 100% wrong about this, but i recall hearing someplace that you can use the same SOHC bottom end and swap out the dohc heads and intake. Again, i dont know if thats possible, but if it is, im sure its a good way to gain power. Also its prolly cheeper to get some true cobra heads and intake manifold and your already +20hp over the mark.

i believe internally the 93-98 were the same or so close to the same it doesnt matter,

go with 93-95 to stay obd 1 like your current setup,those were the fastest years anyway,

most people believe 1993 was the hottest engine setup,and 1998 was the best transmission year.

the 1997/98 intakes were advertised as being quieter while retaining the same horsepower level,but they definately lost power somewhere,whether it was in the timing of the obd ii system or in the intake design,i dont know,but most everyone agrees stock for stock 93-95 are quickest.

good luck,sounds cool ,i am guessing with the vic hood you can fit a blower in there nicely.....

actually, '95 was the slowest out of the group. The only changes where in 96 they went to OBDII and in 97 the changed the intake. A lot of the differences are supposedly blamed on the tuning. Once you put the engine in you'll want to reprogram the computer anyway. I would say stay with the SOHC setup and build it up. I never looked into the PI but I'm sure they probably use some forged internals. I know back in the day they beefed up all kinds of parts on the police cars. Might want to check out what you have first.

the '00 CVPI was OBD2 as i recallect.(as all cars after 96 i think)

The dohc mark motors are good. its a quick way to gain power (relativly speeking) I have a buddy that did a triton V10 swap in a CVPI Thats way more awesome than the dohc swap.

Do you have pictures of this guy's mods? I would love to see that V10 sitting in CV!

93-94 have the meanest PCM tune out of all the marks. I beleive the 95-96 have the highest compression ratio, but not as mean of a PCM tune as 93-94. Im pretty sure 97-98 have beehive valve springs, they also have the lowest cr of the marks along with a weak tune compared to earlier years. This is what I have read online, not all is MY knowledge, but just a few things that ive read and seen.

All Mark VIII's have the same compression ratio, the 96-98 engines are the best because of the Beehive valve springs.

95LSC32V said:
All Mark VIII's have the same compression ratio, the 96-98 engines are the best because of the Beehive valve springs.

Actually, the cr vary from year to year.

MrWilson said:
He LL yeah thats a CVPI!

Also, i may be 100% wrong about this, but i recall hearing someplace that you can use the same SOHC bottom end and swap out the dohc heads and intake. Again, i dont know if thats possible, but if it is, im sure its a good way to gain power. Also its prolly cheeper to get some true cobra heads and intake manifold and your already +20hp over the mark.
Hey is his a dark blue and does he have a cardomain page? If so I have seen it.

Yes all vics 95+ are OBDII. So yes I have OBDII so that means I do need a engine out of 96+ Mark? You guys think I should use the wiring harness and computer out of a mark also and just get it tuned to my spec or use the existing one that is in the vic?

I thought 93-95 all were about the same internally and the only diffs were the tune. Isent it true if u take a 93 and put the same chip as u put a chip in a 95 the power gains be the same. Isent that the only diff the tune? Everything else is about the same.

MarkVIII93 said:
Actually, the cr vary from year to year.

From what I could find:

1993-1994 - 9.8
1995-1996 - 9.85
1997-1998 - 9.9

Now, that doesn't mean the information is right. Internet sources can many times simply be the wrong information reiterated 20 times over.

For example, maybe the actual ratio is always 9.85, but sources rounded down to 9.8, then for a while reported the correct ratio, then rounded up to 9.9 for a couple years.

Although maybe Lincoln needed to bump it up to 9.9 with that crappy intake manifold design??

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22mark+viii%22+compression

EconomySpeedNStyle said:
From what I could find:

1993-1994 - 9.8
1995-1996 - 9.85
1997-1998 - 9.9

Now, that doesn't mean the information is right. Internet sources can many times simply be the wrong information reiterated 20 times over.

For example, maybe the actual ratio is always 9.85, but sources rounded down to 9.8, then for a while reported the correct ratio, then rounded up to 9.9 for a couple years.

Although maybe Lincoln needed to bump it up to 9.9 with that crappy intake manifold design??

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22mark+viii%22+compression

Possibly....

No the pistons are exactly the same in all Mark VIIIs and 96-98 Cobras. The compression is 9.85 in all of them...

Members online

No members online now.
Back