better mpg w/ 87

Lownslowlsc

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well the first couiple times i filled her up this season i put in premium. Car ran fast and well and got a tad under 17 mpg. I switched to 87 for the hell of it and it is getting 18.5 and is continuing to rise. It's noticably slower but i dont mind all that much. I'll switch back to preium next tank and see what happens. All in all from my calculations if it does turn out to be freak im only really adding about $2 more a week in my gas bill by sticking with the good stuff.

Do you unplug the battery when you do this? If not, the computer may be readjusting (lying) about the real MPG.

Everything I've read says the opposite should happen. Interesting.

For you people that use the high grade gas. Is it really that much of a diff in gas millage?

Do you unplug the battery when you do this? If not, the computer may be readjusting (lying) about the real MPG.

Well i didn't disconnect the battery. But if i was constant at 17mpg then switched to 87 and got 18+ the computer noticed a change.

maybe i'm useing less gas with 87 cuase you've retarded the timing. i honestly dont know,lol...i hate these gas topics.lol...

We'll find out soon......da da daaaaaa

For you people that use the high grade gas. Is it really that much of a diff in gas millage?
I haven't actually bothered looking for a gas mileage difference.

The power loss is significant though.

maybe i'm useing less gas with 87 cuase you've retarded the timing. i honestly dont know,lol...i hate these gas topics.lol...

sounds logical to me. the knock sensors are going to retard any high loads because of knocking.

but then again raising cruise timing will let you lean it out more and give you way better gas mileage. but i have no clue about the WOT timing being retarded :confused:

I've notice gains in the distances I could travel on a tank. Didn't look at the MPGs at the time.

But also check to make sure that they are not adding ethanol to the premium. Around here they like to do that at some places. They put ethanol in and then keep the price a bit lower. I've notice a loss in MPGs when I got stuck having to use gas with ethanol in it.

I've notice gains in the distances I could travel on a tank. Didn't look at the MPGs at the time.

But also check to make sure that they are not adding ethanol to the premium. Around here they like to do that at some places. They put ethanol in and then keep the price a bit lower. I've notice a loss in MPGs when I got stuck having to use gas with ethanol in it.

I have never seen a station near me without ethanol in its gas. I think it might be required here. How much of a difference is there?

Yes. I actually sat and ran the numbers on my 95. Not only do I get better fuel economy with high grade, but it pays for itself. As in, breaking it down into cost per mile, I actually had a fraction of a cent lower cost per mile using premium than using 87. Came out to like 10.3 cents a mile on 93 versus 10.8 cents a mile on 87. Far as I'm concerned, it is a no brainer to use premium as my experience indicates that using cheaper fuel yields absolutely NO savings in the long run.

my baby gets the best bp or shell premo,but what's better for or cars bp or shell I heard shell for fords and bp for chevys??

I have never seen a station near me without ethanol in its gas. I think it might be required here. How much of a difference is there?

Ethanol is voluntary in our area. Some stations use it some don't.. Those that do reduce the price of their premium gas, usually off name places and their premium is only 89 they sell it for the same price as 87.

Some stations will put ethanol in their 87 and sell if for the same price as everyone else's 87 in an attempt to make more for their 87. Most 92 and 93's don't get the ethanol.

On the eastern side of WI 10% ethanol is law. This was put in about 5 or 10 years ago.

I have found that when using 89 gas with ethanol I my mileage is crap.

On the eastern side of WI 10% ethanol is law. This was put in about 5 or 10 years ago..

Except in premium, thank god. I only use Shell premium. In Manitowoc the Shell station by Wal-Mart does not have 10% or they are not listing the fact it does. But mid and low grade all need 10% and special additives. Oddly the gas in Manitowoc is cheaper than Green Bay which does not have additives, etc. Also GB is a depot for the dang stuff and it still costs more!!

Except in premium, thank god. I only use Shell premium. In Manitowoc the Shell station by Wal-Mart does not have 10% or they are not listing the fact it does. But mid and low grade all need 10% and special additives. Oddly the gas in Manitowoc is cheaper than Green Bay which does not have additives, etc. Also GB is a depot for the dang stuff and it still costs more!!

I know where you are talking about.

I thought all gas on the East side of the state had to have 10% ethanol even the perimium?

Around here it's watch which towns lower the price. This determins which way you head to go to Madison. LOL..

Most Stations around here have the 10% ethanol in the mid grade. You have to watch the pumps good to see what you are putting in.

Ya, I always look. Of course I also use E85 so I guess I should not be too critical! :) But when I want premium for performance I want 0% ethanol added.

Ya, I always look. Of course I also use E85 so I guess I should not be too critical! :) But when I want premium for performance I want 0% ethanol added.

whats it like performancewise on e85? how bout your mil;eage?

whats it like performancewise on e85? how bout your mil;eage?

Even though E85 is higher Octane I get less performance. Nothing you would notice driving normally though. Milage drops to 24/25 MPG from 28-30 @65MPH. City takes a slightly bigger hit. I generally use E85 for long highway trips. At $2.60 a gallon it does save me a decent amount.

But keep in mind I have a tune for it, new fuel pump and injectors that can take it. I also have a Mark with a poly tank, not all do. I would not run this in a fully stock Mark.

I experience an efficiency LOSS when I switch to regular unleaded.
With fuel prices as high as they are now, the extra mile or two a gallon more than covers the expense of the dime a gal difference. It was a slight savings when gas was $2. At $4 it's a waste of money to spend a dollar to save a dime.

i live in northern wi. and the highest we have here is 91. no 92 or 93 for 60 miles! its not mixed with ethanol, but c'mon! ive gone to rice lake and gotte blue 100 a couple times and ran it with a couple of gallons of that mixed with a near full tank and not really much difference. ive let the tank get low and put in five gallons of the 100 and only noticed maybe a little throttle response. i didnt check mileage that time. wouldnt have mattered, im sure it was about 10 mpg for that five gallons:)

But keep in mind I have a tune for it, new fuel pump and injectors that can take it. I also have a Mark with a poly tank, not all do. I would not run this in a fully stock Mark.

Yeah, when you mentioned E85 I was about to ask you about this stuff, but it looks like you've covered your bases to ensure that thing is fully E85 compatible.

Very cool.

Members online

No members online now.
Back