Black Headlight Sealant

skizot722

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why headlights with the black sealant cannot be taken apart? I've read this several places, but I was just wondering if it's really impossible, or just more difficult. Thanks in advance.

The black sealant is not affected by heat or cold like the old grey sealant. The grey sealant headlights can be pulled apart by applying heat to the headlight. The black sealant headlights won't budge. However, you can cut the headlight apart. There are a few LvC members here that have done that with the newer style headlights.

I cut the headlights apart on my 04 with a dremel. I can send you a PDF how to if you get me your email address.

CopyofDSCN1308.jpg

polson69@hotmail.com

If you could shoot that over to me too that'd be great. I'm assuming the technique would work on gen 1 lights witht the black sealant as well...

me too .... mcqwik@hotmail.com

also which CCFL rings did you use ? I'm thinking about adding the inner ones to mine as I have daytime running lights so outside would be pointless

thx

I used Umnitza rings. go to Umnitza.com and email them. Matt there should know which rings they are.

They're the the X5 kit, from what I was told by Umnitza. They go for $250.

Thanks to 02V8Sport for all the info.

:Beer

Thanks for the PDF, 02V8Sport!

I have another quick question about headlights with the gray sealant. After baking them (~200 *F for 10 minutes) and pulling them apart, can you just throw them back in the oven for around the same amount of time, and then push them back together using only the OEM sealant that's still in the headlight?

I've heard people say that they use some hi-temp RTV silicone, and others say they don't add any extra sealant, but just re-heat the OEM sealant and push the headlight back together. What's everyone's opinion on this?

Thanks!

I used hi-temp rtv silicone the first time, then the second I just pushed it back together. It rained once like that and no fog, but I got scared and decided better safe than sorry and put some silicone on it.

As for baking them again, make sure the adhesive you use to attach the angel eyes doesn't soften at hi temp, and only for about 5-7 minutes should loosen it enough to push back together.

Did you try that link at post #22? Should work for you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back