Bought new 2005 LS for USD 21792 in Dubai, UAE

blueiraq

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I work in Iraq/Afghanistan, but am often in Dubai, UAE. I've been renting cars, sometimes for even a month at a time, for me and coworkers. Rentals are ok, but it was about $1200/mo for a BMW 320i, or $600-800 for a Corolla -- and the big problem is we often need to leave the car somewhere other than the main rental depot for a few weeks at a time, which is expensive.

I was planning to get a BMW 335i Coupe, which would be USD 62k loaded from a local dealer, or USD 45k with military/contractor discount out of Germany.

Financing costs are 3.5%-4.25%, insurance costs about the same as US, and gas is about USD 1/gal.

335i seemed like it had a rather small trunk, so then I was looking at a 2004 Cayenne Turbo used ($60-80k), or a 2007 BMW M5 ($80k), and then I thought about depreciation -- people are going to be driving this 100-150 miles/day roundtrip on a highway fairly often, and 200-400 miles each way on some trips, or even 800 miles each way to Muscat. The true cost of a new $80k 0km car driven like that often for a year comes rather high.

I was driving back and passed Al Tayer, the local lincoln/mercury/ford/jag/land rover dealer, and went into the pre-owned cars section. Inside was a ceramic white 2005 LS Sport with some decent options (sunroof, parking, some other stuff, but not dvd/thx). 500km on it, from moving it between dealerships. I'd rented LSes often from Hertz in the US, and drove them 130-140mph fairly frequently on I-5, so they seem like a perfect highway car. Then we got to price -- apparently they're even less popular in UAE than they were in the US, and all his other used cars were Maseratis, Navigators, Land Rovers, etc., and just wanted it gone. So, "how much do you want to pay" ("I was thining $15-20k for a 2005, maybe $25k for Ultimate 06"), he countered with AED 90k, then I brought up depreciation of lincoln (in 1-2 years, I figure it will be worth $10-15k, vs. a BMW which could go from $50k to $35-40k..not taking into account the excessive miles I'll put on it) and tried to use the true cost to own argument, AED 85k "final offer", then I suggested AED 80k, and got it. Since USD 1 = AED 3.6710, I got the car for USD 21792.43.

I take delivery in a couple days -- asked him to contact me if he finds any more 2003+ LS Sport or Ultimate, since they seem like perfect livery vehicles too if you want something less stodgy than a Town Car for Dubai traffic (a full-time 12-16/hr/day 7 day/week driver is about USD 1000/mo). And the cooled seats will be really nice in 50C heat (another strike against the Porsche or the 3-series)

I'm probably going to get cat-back/intake, tints, remove 120kph alarm, remote start, bumpers/skirts (maybe), chrome grille, upgraded 240A alternator, angel eyes/hids, and probably switch to 18" with runflats/tpms once I need to swap tires the first time, so I can put an extra battery, comms equipment, and upgraded audio/car computer/navigation in the trunk. I'll use it like a portable office, with an inkjet printer, scanner, 3G cellphone, satphone, 802.11 WAP, etc. -- probably I can fit all of the office equipment into a removable rack behind one of the rear seats, and put a solenoid on the 40% side.

With the savings, a Zenith Air CH-801 light aircraft! (http://www.zenithair.com/stolch801/index1.html), and maybe a toyota hilux.

Not a bad deal on the car. Those little Zenith's are pretty cool as well. Low and slow. What's the cost of 100LL over there?

What is the speed limit (in mph) where you are? What is the law/consequence for speeding over there?

blueiraq said:
Financing costs are 3.5%-4.25%, insurance costs about the same as US, and gas is about USD 1/gal.

You got a good deal man and a great car.

Are you serious that gas is only $1/gal USD in Iraq?!? What a crock.

Keep the peace,
n8

Fla02LS said:
What is the speed limit (in mph) where you are? What is the law/consequence for speeding over there?

Speed limit in UAE is enforced solely by speed cameras, not by cops pulling you over. Max is 120kph. However, I do ~200-220kph in rental cars, and I'm routinely passed. I think 200kph cruise speed is the minimum needed in the GCC states to drive safely on highways (unless you're going to hang out in the right lane with trucks), and you often need decent acceleration to go through merges, on ramps, etc.

Pretty much the only speed limit I care about is "what can the car do safely in the current conditions"; if there's no sand on the road, good visibility, and low traffic, and the car is in good shape, it's pretty much "how long can you hold down the accelerator".

(we pass cops pretty routinely in their pathfinders, rebadged holdens ("chevrolets"), and 3-series; they're only really allowed to go 100-140kph. I've done past them at 2x their current speed with no problems at all)

There are maybe 5 working speed cameras in all of UAE, and those give you tickets for about $50-110 with no license points. Kuwait is a little more aggressive about speed cameras, but still it's <$100 per incident, and you can see the cameras pretty far out. There are guys in Cayenne Turbos doing 250kph, braking hard to 120kph, then going back to 250kph at every speed camera, since they don't know that only some of them actually have cameras in them. (and because it's a fun game)

This is all UAE (Dubai, etc.) and the GCC. In Iraq, driving is entirely different, and I wouldn't be in a 2005 car at all. There, it's all about old Opels and BMW E34s.

n8bachelor said:
You got a good deal man and a great car.

Are you serious that gas is only $1/gal USD in Iraq?!? What a crock.

Keep the peace,
n8

Gas in Kuwait or Saudi is about USD 0.60/gal. In UAE, maybe USD 1-1.30. In Iraq, free on military bases (basically donated by the Kuwaiti government, at least in the past), or USD 0.40 or so on the civilian market, up to USD 2/gal black market.

Sadly gas over here is usually high sulfur crap which makes Niksil cry. And octane is measured European style, but they've got 91 (87 or so US), 95, and 98 (95?). There are F1 tracks, airfields with 100LL or better, and Dubai has a couple stations which have race fuel for the guys with exotics.

Members online

No members online now.
Back