Braking HELP

lux1203

LVC Member
Reaction score
MY brakes dont feel like they engage till the brake pedal is almost all the way down even then there is no nose dive and it feels like it takes forever to stop. I had an 04 TL and that felt like it stopped on a dime. This is normal ? or is some thing wrong.

The LS has anti-dive front/anti-lift rear suspension geometries, so it doesn't have a great deal of nose dive on hard braking. It sounds like your brakes are engaging too far into the pedal's travel though.

It's entirely possible that you need new brake pads; the more worn the pads are, the lower the brake pedal will go before engaging. I doubt that the difference in travel will be particularly noticeable, though, so it may be that you need to bleed the brakes.

Switching to different brake pads (like Porterfield's R4-S) will also help.

I agree, sounds like air in the system or worn out pads. The LS DOES stop on a dime when the breaking system is in proper order. I had to replace my pads F&R at 30,000 miles.

I take it that this would also make the braking more linear feeling rather than all or none. btw thanx

Yes, in my opinion the LS has a nice linear pedal feel. Much better than other Fords I have owned.

Yeah sounds like air in the system. The pads, at least the front on my 04 wear very quickly in comparison to my other cars. 35K miles and down to the metal.

New pads are very thick so as the pads wear away the fluid can go down all the way to the bottom of the tank so you need to check and add fluid regularly and if you get air in them you have to bleed.

One good point, the pads on the LS are about the easiest I have ever had to change.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Members online

No members online now.
Back