Bulletproof Tranny vs. Rebuild Tranny

meangy9

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So my trans is slipping and I can get it rebuilt for $1200.00 from my buddy. I got 100,000 miles on the car and is in great condition, and am confused whether to just look for a new Mark VIII or replace the tranny? But would it be worth the extra $450.00 for a bulletproof trans?? What are the major differences....Basically what would you do? Thanks guys

1200 for a rebuild is in the ball park. Just make sure you have all of the updated parts installed. I can't give you advice on what a good bullitproof trans would be, because each shop has there own definition based on experience. Do you need it? I don't think so. As far as getting another mark VIII, there prolly all going to have the same mileage, these cars are old. Plus, you don't know what kind of abuse the new car might have. If you enjoy your vehicle and it is in good condition, just rebuild the tranny and continue on.

yeah thats what I'm leaning toward more. Now I just need to figure out some things about the bulletproof. I know someone on this site had gotten one and was very happy with it. thanks

Keep what ya got...no sense in gettin another which might have more problems than just a trans.

If you are going to keep the Mark then spend the extra cash, as long as the upgrade gets a warranty to go with it.

Call Geno At LMS

meangy9 said:
yeah thats what I'm leaning toward more. Now I just need to figure out some things about the bulletproof. I know someone on this site had gotten one and was very happy with it. thanks

Talk to Geno, he can give you all of the answers that you could possibly want about transmissions. When I am ready for my transmission to be upgraded, I will be going with one of Geno's, because they have come highly recommended from people on this forum as well as other people that I know and trust.

You can do a simple or whats called in the industry as a "soft part rebuild" which I am assuming this $1200.00 rebuild will typically be. You did state a friend of yours is doing it so he may be doing a better job for you since you know him?

Its a matter of budget and preference. We charge $1650.00 installed with a 2400 stall converter and ALL fluids as well as labor & a 12/12 warranty.

i got a used transmission out of a low mileage car for my mark... put that in along with a B&M tranny cooler and im back to beating on my car :D thanks again bufford :) as far as the bulletproof geno trans, i've heard good things from mr.wilson about it, his car rips. so if you got the money id say go for it, im just cheap lol :rolleyes:

I'm really leaning toward the bulletproof, i might as well spend the extra 450.00...i just don't know the differences between the two. I sent a PM ONEBADMK8, so he'll help me out. I read what Mr.Wilson wrote and it gave me the idea to go for it. Thanks for all the help.

meangy9 said:
I'm really leaning toward the bulletproof, i might as well spend the extra 450.00...i just don't know the differences between the two. I sent a PM ONEBADMK8, so he'll help me out. I read what Mr.Wilson wrote and it gave me the idea to go for it. Thanks for all the help.

Go for it, you wont be disapointed. Geno and his team are very good, and help out very much. Just make sure when you get it back to burp the coolant system.

Members online

No members online now.
Back