Burning smell

n8bachelor

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I hope someone can give me some pointers here.
First off I have a 2004 v6 LS so coils are much less of a concern for me.

I have been noticing this foul smell when the weather is cold out and the car is warming up. Usually happens just about the time the car reaches operating temperature (2min - 10min after start). The smell is of burning oil. I can see no apparent oil leaks and have not seen any smoke but the smell persists. Not every time I start the car, just when it is very cold.

I have had something similar in the past and a lose vaccum hose atop the manifold was to blame. This hose is secure now and I can see no evidence of an oil leak anywhere.
Would a faulty PCV valve cause oil to leak on the exhaust manifold or other hot part of the engine??

I had some codes a while back that led me to believe I may have a faulty PCV but the symptoms and codes went away after 2 days of studdering.

I had the same problems with leaky vcg's since i fixed them the smell has not comeback

I thought they eliminated the PCV on the 2nd Gen V6?

i have the same problem no smoke except for the exhaust but no oil leaks but i get that burning oil smell 04 v6

if it is vcg wouldnt i see oil

and where is the pcv at thanks for the info

If they still have the PCV on the 2nd Gen V6es, it's under the intake manifold.

thanks they do have them on the 2nd gens well thats what i just found on google thanks now i know what i will be doing tomorrow or maybe il wait til this weekend

yes - pvc

Assuming the PCV valve is faulty, how do I go about getting a dealer to service it without any engine codes? The warranty was extended on this part and I would like it fixed.

thanks they do have them on the 2nd gens well thats what i just found on google thanks now i know what i will be doing tomorrow or maybe il wait til this weekend

Dude, you can get it done for free.

I got an extended warranty service notice from Ford about the 2004 PCV valve being defective and warranty service extended until 100k or 10years of service. I'll scan the notice as PDF and post it up when I get home.

Assuming the PCV valve is faulty, how do I go about getting a dealer to service it without any engine codes? The warranty was extended on this part and I would like it fixed.

I got an extended warranty service notice from Ford about the 2004 PCV valve being defective and warranty service extended until 100k or 10years of service. I'll scan the notice as PDF and post it up when I get home.

thats right thanks man i forgot about that but the ford dealer by me is a scam and they will break something else so i have to go back i might just do it myself but will see what happens thanks

thats right thanks man i forgot about that but the ford dealer by me is a scam and they will break something else so i have to go back i might just do it myself but will see what happens thanks

Very true. And I will have some time on my hands over the next year in which I won't be needing my daily driver anyway (but that's another story).

I will at least ask the dealer to see if they will do it for me, for free. Sure wish I would have kepth those code readouts that I had pulled for me over Christmas. Any chance the codes are still stored in the car's memory even after the CEL went off??

Not sure I have all the proper tools for the job. How much does a torque wrench cost? I have lots of sockets and standard wrenches but not a great working area to get it done. I have no problems with brakes, intakes, stereos, or minor stuff under the hood. Just makes me a little nervous exposing the engine like that.

procedure - > http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/Lincoln-LS/IntakeManifoldV6/ - nothing too hard.

tip on the exposed engine - cover the open ports with painter's tape

130.jpg

That's a great tip about the painter's tape!
I think the how-to was written for the gen1 v6, but they are similar enough to make it work. Thanks again.

Would you recommend changing the plugs whild I'm in there (at 85k now) or wait another 15k and do it per manual??
I guess I could do the coils as well.... but is there any need?

well i had the dealer do this for because of the warranty and the only thing that was warranty was the hose not the valve. so they replaced the hose but the smell is back now and it smells like burnt out candles anyone have an idea on that thanks

plus where is the hose does anyone know because i dont think the fixed everything that they should. it only took them about 30 mins

Members online

No members online now.
Back