cabin a c filter warning is on

mjc02ls8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My cabin a c filter warning light is on. Where can i buy it, can i do it myself and how much does it cost. I hope i don't have to go to the dealer.

I have seen them in the filter catalog at the local shops but haven't found any on the shelf. I would probably buy it from Rock Auto sicne they seem to have all the other stuff for my LS. I think the filters are about $20.

The filter is located under the hood against the firewall on the passenger side. It is under the black plastic cowling running along the bottom of the windshield. There are several plastic buttons that hold the cowling down. Mine has a center button in each big button that needs to be pushed down and then the big button lifts up. Looks like a bullseye about the size of a quarter. You will need to lift all the buttons on the passenger side and some on the driver side.

Under the cowl, is a flap that has a couple latches that need to be pulled a little to let the flap flip up. The filter is down under the flap and comes right out.

If it isn't too dirty, I would just blow it out with compressed air.

You will need to reset the "change AC filter" message. On my car you get into status mode, and when it says change filter, push reset and then push and hold reset again for a second.

There are also some filters under the seats that need to be replaced once in awhile.

Easy job.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

mjc02ls8 said:
My cabin a c filter warning light is on. Where can i buy it, can i do it myself and how much does it cost. I hope i don't have to go to the dealer.

They have them in stock at O'Reilly Auto Parts. It's about $20. It's a WIX air filter. It's very easy to change. It's on the passenger side underneath the wiper. Two clips and your done!

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/index2.asp?Section=1&Make=44&SubMake=&Model=&SubModel=&Engine=505&Year=2002&TempSection=1&TempMake=44&TempModel=&TempEngine=505&TempYear=2002

Part Number: 24884
UPC Number: 765809248847
Principal Application: Lincoln LS (00-02), Ford Thunderbird (05)
All Applications
Style: Cabin Air Filter
Service: Cabin Air
Media: Batt/Fiber
Length: 12.320
Width: 9.000
Height: 1.025

mjc02ls8 said:

Just because the warning light is on doesn't mean the filter needs changing. The warning gizmo is nothing but a timer, programmed to come on after a specified period. It's a big Pavlovian plot to get you to buy more filters. :)

Seriously, check the filter first before you buy a new one. Depending on your driving conditions, you may find it isn't that dirty.

just bought a cab. filter today L&M only 53.00 on pass side under the hood below wipers i haven't tackled it yet

Members online

No members online now.
Back